The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Pembroke College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I've got an offer for 2010! So excited! I've got a few things I'd like to know though, like what the accommodation is really like - what are your chances of getting 2 years in college? And is the community feel of the college lessened by the relatively low proportion of students living on site? Thanks
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Accommodation is all pretty good. there's a good variety depending on what you want. You can have all 3 years in College provided you don't mind where you are, but most people choose to live with their friends in the College-owned houses instead. Most of them aren't far. There's always loads of students about, so there's nothing to worry about. :smile:
Reply 182
Hi everyone, I got an offer from Pembroke College. I am wondering how the catering system works. I know you have to pay a kitchen fixed charge. What does it actually cover?

How much do I have to pay for each meal? According to this, http://www.pem.cam.ac.uk/admiss/ug/fees/ it seems to be quite a lot.

Do I have to cook for myself during Saturdays? If I managed to stay in the college for Christmas and Easter, can I still get food off the college?
I've heard Pembroke's is one of the most expensive, but also one of the best canteens. The catering shuts over Christmas and Easter so you would have to make do some other way.
Pembroke is a bit pricey, but you're probably looking at somewhere round £3.50 for a full meal on top of KFC. You can buy stuff for lunch and breakfast at Sainsburys and make these for yourself in your gyp or kitchen.
Hall tends to continue for a week or so after term and also a week before, but it varies between colleges. People who stay over holidays often get placed in special accommodation with cooking facilities. I'm going to report your thread to be moved to the Pembroke thread for more targetted replies.
I'll move it don't worry.

I'm at Pembroke, and the food is expensive. Personally I very rarely eat there because its cheaper for me to pay the KFC (Kitchen Fixed Charge) and then self cater.
Why would you have to cook for yourself on a Saturday? The only difference with weekends is that instead of putting on 3 meals a day they put on two, brunch and dinner. Pembroke brunch is amazing, and definitely worth going to.
We don't really know what KFC covers, currently the JPC (student committee) is trying to get an exact answer from the college AFAIK, as the food certainly isn't cheap enough to be considered subsidised in any way.

What Craggy said about putting you in accommodation with cooking facilities isn't true of Pembroke. Nowhere has decent cooking facilities so there's nowhere to put you that fits that description! As far as I know the kitchen doesn't close for much of the holidays, as at Christmas it has interviewees to cater for and at Easter nearly all the third years stay. The quality is generally ok, but very samey. But yeah, I dont go much except for brunch as its too expensive and I cant justify it.
Reply 186
It seems that if you go to buttery every meal, the cost of living can be as expensive as London unis. It is a bit crazy.

What is the gyp in Pembroke like? What is in there?

What happens during Easter and Christmas holiday? Is it possible for me to stay in the college?
If you have a reason to stay in College which is supported by your Dos and Tutor then you may be allowed to stay, although it is likely you will have to change rooms (especially at Christmas if you are living in College). In College gyp rooms you get a microwave and a hob.
Reply 188
So I've just got a pack from Pembroke advising me to decide which accommodation I would like to apply for in the first year.

"Most freshers rooms are situated in Red Building, New Court, Orchard Building and Foundress Court." The only help given is a link to the virtual tour of the College (aka try-to-find-your-way-around-photo-gallery), and the rest of the College website seems to be of little use either.

I would appreciate any current Pembroke students' advice/thoughts as to where is good to stay in terms of room quality and location and meeting other people. (Any comments would be of value)

Thanks in advance.
Reply 189
Thanks^^ It's been of real help.
Most freshers are in Foundress, which is the new block. I lived there in first year and really liked the rooms. They are modern and have the biggest desks, and nice sinks/kitchens etc. There are also toilets nearby on the end of corridors.

The other rooms are all fairly similar, but in different parts of college. The toilets and showers are all in the basement, which some people find a bit of a pain. Similarly the kitchens are small and a bit rubbish. But you do get a nice old room, often with a big fireplace - so it depends very much on what you want.
Reply 191
Dear All,

I've got an offer for NatSci (Bio) at Pembroke, and the form regarding my choice of accommodation has been languishing on my desk for several months now. I'm unsure which band to go for; 50% of accommodation is in the top band (bout £90/week); is this reasonable, and, if you are at Pembroke, is it worth it relative to the other, cheaper accommodation? I'm tempted to opt for the top to be on the safe side, then down grade in subsequent years if the difference in quality turns out to be small... good plan?

Also, are there significant differences between the old and new buildings?

Cheers.
Have a read through the Pembroke thread I'm moving this into, as everything is explained in there. If you have more questions feel free to ask them.
*Subscribes* I'm sure I already was but somehow I wasn't...

berkerboy
Dear All,

I've got an offer for NatSci (Bio) at Pembroke, and the form regarding my choice of accommodation has been languishing on my desk for several months now. I'm unsure which band to go for; 50% of accommodation is in the top band (bout £90/week); is this reasonable, and, if you are at Pembroke, is it worth it relative to the other, cheaper accommodation? I'm tempted to opt for the top to be on the safe side, then down grade in subsequent years if the difference in quality turns out to be small... good plan?

Also, are there significant differences between the old and new buildings?

Cheers.

I went for the top band (new building Foundress Court) and would do so again. The rooms are all really nice and the facilities are good: plenty of bathrooms and kitchens, gym and computer room downstairs.
Reply 194
I want to get a room in a good old building. They look prettier. I deliberately avoided the Foundress Court.
Reply 195
Hey, are there any other people out there starting pembroke this year. If i meet my offer(....not sure cos i've finished my exams and they were kinda crap) ill be doing MML(french and spanish). What about anyone else? PM me if you want :smile:
toddy21
Hey, are there any other people out there starting pembroke this year. If i meet my offer(....not sure cos i've finished my exams and they were kinda crap) ill be doing MML(french and spanish). What about anyone else? PM me if you want :smile:

Or just have a chat in here, this thread needs some livening up! :yep:
toddy21

Hey :smile:
I'll be starting in October (grades pending AAAAAAAAAAAH! :eek3: )
But yeahh PPS/SPS
No idea which one it is lol
did you do the IB? all go okay?
LUFCsuperstar
But yeahh PPS/SPS
No idea which one it is lol

I thought it was becoming PPSIS. :dontknow:
alex_hk90
I thought it was becoming PPSIS. :dontknow:

I think that's the department name but the course is changing from SPS to PPS

Not sure what my degree will be..

You stuck with exams at the moment Alex? :frown: