The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Pembroke College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

sleep on the floor of his friends room.

or get his friend to ask one of his friends who's in a relationship for their room for the night. if i ask around i'm sure i could always find 3 or 4 of my friends rooms free on a particular night
(edited 13 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 381
As other people have said, just sleep on the floor/share the bed. Also parking in Cambridge is a pain, so good luck with that one!
heyyy guys ...anyone applied to pembroke for mediicne?:smile:
Ooh, this thread hasn't been active in a little while. Hope I'm still allowed to post here.

I'm thinking about applying to Cambridge for MML for 2012 entry and I'm trying to narrow down my college choices at the moment. (I did have a shortlist and chose Emmanuel. Then I chose King's. And then Peterhouse. And then Corpus Christi. You get the idea). :rolleyes:

Pembroke is the one I'm thinking about at the moment, but I can't find anything about the accommodation anywhere. I would want to live in the college itself and, from what I can gather, the cheaper rooms are the older ones. Are they really run-down or just slightly more basic re: facilities?

I've heard that Pembroke hall food is very yummy :biggrin: but a tad expensive, so would there be hobs/ovens etc to cook for myself a couple times a week?
Original post by cornish-chough
Pembroke is the one I'm thinking about at the moment, but I can't find anything about the accommodation anywhere. I would want to live in the college itself and, from what I can gather, the cheaper rooms are the older ones. Are they really run-down or just slightly more basic re: facilities?

Firstly, accommodation is generally not that expensive at Pembroke - I think one of TCS or Varsity had an article just this week saying we had the lowest average rent (I'm not sure how well they calculated this, but still). This year the weekly rents range from £60.25 to £94.32. The new rooms in Foundress (where the majority of first-years stay) will be around the £90 mark. As for the older rooms, I wouldn't say they are 'run down', but some of them are not great in terms of heating (need to use electric heaters in the winter) and plumbing (I think some don't have sinks though I'm not sure about this). It's been a while since I visited those rooms so I can't remember for sure.

I've heard that Pembroke hall food is very yummy :biggrin: but a tad expensive, so would there be hobs/ovens etc to cook for myself a couple times a week?

I'm pretty sure all the kitchens have hobs. Ovens are quite rare though, only a couple of first year kitchens have them if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
Firstly, accommodation is generally not that expensive at Pembroke - I think one of TCS or Varsity had an article just this week saying we had the lowest average rent (I'm not sure how well they calculated this, but still). This year the weekly rents range from £60.25 to £94.32. The new rooms in Foundress (where the majority of first-years stay) will be around the £90 mark. As for the older rooms, I wouldn't say they are 'run down', but some of them are not great in terms of heating (need to use electric heaters in the winter) and plumbing (I think some don't have sinks though I'm not sure about this). It's been a while since I visited those rooms so I can't remember for sure.

I'm pretty sure all the kitchens have hobs. Ovens are quite rare though, only a couple of first year kitchens have them if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Yes, that is very helpful, thank you. :smile:

We're going to try and get to the open day in July, because I haven't actually seen Pembroke, I've only ever been to Girton, Emmanuel and St John's (where we got lost following the tourist trail...)

I'd probably look for around the £60/week mark, so as long as I won't be living in a 'medieval slum' :biggrin: (an admissions tutor's words, not mine!) that would be fine. To be honest, I wouldn't really want to face the shame when my granny visits to find I live in the giant typewriter at Christ's rather than a quaint Harry Potter dorm. :tongue:
Bless 'er.
I'd probably look for around the £60/week mark, so as long as I won't be living in a 'medieval slum' :biggrin: (an admissions tutor's words, not mine!) that would be fine. To be honest, I wouldn't really want to face the shame when my granny visits to find I live in the giant typewriter at Christ's rather than a quaint Harry Potter dorm. :tongue:
Bless 'er.

Ah alright. It won't be a 'medieval slum' and in fact the cheaper rooms are more of the 'quaint' old style. :smile: Regarding the typewriter at Christ's - the rooms and facilities in there are actually really good, despite the monstrous exterior. :yep:
Ah alright. It won't be a 'medieval slum' and in fact the cheaper rooms are more of the 'quaint' old style. :smile: Regarding the typewriter at Christ's - the rooms and facilities in there are actually really good, despite the monstrous exterior. :yep:

I know, the typewriter's meant to be lovely inside. And there's the added bonus of not being able to see the outside, I suppose :tongue:

I'll stop being rude about it now though. I'm sure it's lovely. I will be happy wherever I end up, it's just that I probably wouldn't be able to afford the modern rooms, especially as I wouldn't be able to have a part-time job.

Could I work in the college bar? I thought that in some places you could, perhaps that would be a good way to earn a bit of money but not detract from my studying?
I'll stop being rude about it now though. I'm sure it's lovely. I will be happy wherever I end up, it's just that I probably wouldn't be able to afford the modern rooms, especially as I wouldn't be able to have a part-time job.

Could I work in the college bar? I thought that in some places you could, perhaps that would be a good way to earn a bit of money but not detract from my studying?

I don't think students work in our college bar. Have you looked at the Cambridge bursaries? They're incredibly generous - instead of a college bill each term, some people end up getting paid by college. With the basic maintenance loan, the income-assessed maintenance loans/grants (don't know which this is) and the Cambridge bursaries, I struggle to see how you'll need extra income. Moreover, since you only need to stay for 9 weeks or so a term, there's plenty of holiday to do part-time work if that really is necessary (I can't see how it would be personally).
I don't think students work in our college bar. Have you looked at the Cambridge bursaries? They're incredibly generous - instead of a college bill each term, some people end up getting paid by college. With the basic maintenance loan, the income-assessed maintenance loans/grants (don't know which this is) and the Cambridge bursaries, I struggle to see how you'll need extra income. Moreover, since you only need to stay for 9 weeks or so a term, there's plenty of holiday to do part-time work if that really is necessary (I can't see how it would be personally).

I haven't looked at the bursaries properly yet, thanks for pointing those out - I get some EMA, so I suppose I might qualify :smile: That'd be one less worry.

I can't wait for the open day now! How much of the college will be open, do you think?
I can't wait for the open day now! How much of the college will be open, do you think?

When is it?
Ooh, this thread hasn't been active in a little while. Hope I'm still allowed to post here.

I'm thinking about applying to Cambridge for MML for 2012 entry and I'm trying to narrow down my college choices at the moment. (I did have a shortlist and chose Emmanuel. Then I chose King's. And then Peterhouse. And then Corpus Christi. You get the idea). :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm a current fresher at Pembroke - I'm personally staying in the new block (Foundress, which is the highest rent band), but I've been and seen my friends rooms - basically as Alex said, none of the rooms are really run down, but I some of the ones in the older bit get slightly cold at some points in the year (however you can borrow an electric heater from housekeeping to sort that). There are also like.. 2(?) rooms which don't have washbasins, but I think the rent is even cheaper for those ones. The older rooms definitely have more character than my room though!

In terms of food and cost - it's actually not that expensive - if you have the veggie main course for dinner for example, that's only £1.50! The meat options normally vary between £1.80 and £2.50 I think, depending on what it is, but there's always a good choice. Also the food is SO GOOD!
If you want to cook for yourself, there is a microwave and 2 hob-plates in each kitchen, and there is like 1 oven somewhere in college, but to be honest, you can cook most food you'd want to eat on a hob/in a microwave :smile:

Also Pembroke is a really really beautiful college :love: if you have any other questions I'm really happy to answer them! (and I'm sure Alex will be too, but just thought I'd chip in too :smile: )
When is it?

The one I'm hoping to go to is July 7th.
Original post by Sockpirate
Hey, I'm a current fresher at Pembroke - I'm personally staying in the new block (Foundress, which is the highest rent band), but I've been and seen my friends rooms - basically as Alex said, none of the rooms are really run down, but I some of the ones in the older bit get slightly cold at some points in the year (however you can borrow an electric heater from housekeeping to sort that). There are also like.. 2(?) rooms which don't have washbasins, but I think the rent is even cheaper for those ones. The older rooms definitely have more character than my room though!

In terms of food and cost - it's actually not that expensive - if you have the veggie main course for dinner for example, that's only £1.50! The meat options normally vary between £1.80 and £2.50 I think, depending on what it is, but there's always a good choice. Also the food is SO GOOD!
If you want to cook for yourself, there is a microwave and 2 hob-plates in each kitchen, and there is like 1 oven somewhere in college, but to be honest, you can cook most food you'd want to eat on a hob/in a microwave :smile:

Also Pembroke is a really really beautiful college :love: if you have any other questions I'm really happy to answer them! (and I'm sure Alex will be too, but just thought I'd chip in too :smile: )

Thank you :smile: It'd be useful to have a room with a washbasin, but I don't suppose it would matter too much to have to trot down the corridor to find one. And I'm pretty used to the cold, I'm in Devon. :biggrin:

How many first years are in the older parts, outside Foundress? Would I be in the minority there?

I've sent off for a Pembroke prospectus, so I shouldn't have to bother you too much more. :wink:
Reply 394

All first years at Pembroke live in college. And the older rooms are fine; I'm staying in one now. The kitchens are much smaller and don't have freezers, and the rooms can get a bit cold in the winter, but nothing that would cause too much of a problem. The biggest difference is how the rooms are laid out - in the new building (Foundress Court), you have long corridors with lots of people, while the older rooms are organised by staircase with usually about four people to a floor. It makes quite a difference in atmosphere, although each one has its benefits.
The one I'm hoping to go to is July 7th.

There won't be many people around then apart from the open day volunteers, some Fellows and postgrads. All the main areas should be 'open' though, I'm not sure what would be closed.
Reply 396
How many first years are in the older parts, outside Foundress? Would I be in the minority there?

They generally keep all the first years together, so you don't have to worry about being alone. I think it is probably a slight minority in the older buildings, but not by much.
Original post by FMINL
They generally keep all the first years together, so you don't have to worry about being alone. I think it is probably a slight minority in the older buildings, but not by much.

Original post by FMINL
All first years at Pembroke live in college. And the older rooms are fine; I'm staying in one now. The kitchens are much smaller and don't have freezers, and the rooms can get a bit cold in the winter, but nothing that would cause too much of a problem. The biggest difference is how the rooms are laid out - in the new building (Foundress Court), you have long corridors with lots of people, while the older rooms are organised by staircase with usually about four people to a floor. It makes quite a difference in atmosphere, although each one has its benefits.

Ah, I see, thank you. :smile: Hopefully I'll be able to have a look at both Foundress and the older rooms (are first years in Old/New Court? I've seen all of these lovely pictures of old buildings but I'm not really sure who lives where).

If I get an interview, will that be in the college, or do they do those based on subjects? Like all MML applicants in one place and all Maths in another and so on.
Ah, I see, thank you. :smile: Hopefully I'll be able to have a look at both Foundress and the older rooms (are first years in Old/New Court? I've seen all of these lovely pictures of old buildings but I'm not really sure who lives where).

If I get an interview, will that be in the college, or do they do those based on subjects? Like all MML applicants in one place and all Maths in another and so on.

I'm pretty sure all the interviews are in college rather than in Faculty. Within the college they will then have all the subjects separate (except for some general interviews I think).
I'm pretty sure all the interviews are in college rather than in Faculty. Within the college they will then have all the subjects separate (except for some general interviews I think).

Thanks for clarifying :smile: I'd just heard that people had subject interviews and general interviews and assumed that the former would be in faculty and latter in college.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending