The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Pembroke College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Thanks :smile: . I ought to come and see the college at some stage...

I did ICT in years 10 and 11 and am not going to continue it to A2. Even though it was an extra, would that disadvantage an application because it is on the blacklist and unrelated to my course?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
no its fine, the other courses you are doing are 'traditional', apart from english language and its only an extra so theres no problem.
Reply 62
Hi, I'm in year 12 at the moment and I'm wondering if there are any economics students willing to talk to me about what the admissions process is like for this course (since they vary sooo much from college to college). thanks
Reply 63
I've got a place (conditional) at Pembroke to start this year, and I've got to fill in a form to arrange accomodation..

I think I'd prefer to be in an older part of the college, but I'm unsure what each of the price brackets stands for. Can anyone give any advice?

TY in advance
Eddy
hey guys, firstly, Peter, the admissions process doesnt really vary from college to college, apart from some make you take an exam and some dont, its pretty much the same.

Eddy, congrats on your offer! Don't go for the really cheap stuff, yes its old, but so old theres no sink or central heating. as long as you dont go for the most expensive you'll end up in red building or new court, which is alright, I'm in the new stuff myself, which is much better but obviously its down to personal preference. Remember that you only pay for your accommodation for the 8 weeks a year and not over the whole period like a lot of unis so the cost is less overall.
Sorry thats a bit rambling, do you have any specific questions?
Reply 65
I'm thinking of applying to Pembroke. According to the pospectus, it says it accepts a lot of international applicants and also accepts the IB readily, which i do as opposed to A levels. Does Pembroke really have this interntional feel?

Also, i don't drink which is what worries me about uni a bit. Does Pembroke have a huge drinking culture? Would i fit in? People have suggested that as i don't drink, i'd be better off applying to a larger college where there would probably be more non drinkers/light drinkers but i've started to really like Pembroke now!
Any help...:smile:
It does accept a lot of international students, but half the time you don't know they are international - I dont exactly know what an international feel is?? Everyone just gets on really well.

There are several people that don't drink, including me 95% of the time. Yes you get the hardcore alcoholics just as you will at any other college/uni but most people go to the bar just to have one or two and just chat and play pool. No one will care if you have a coke or j20 or whatever.
Reply 67
I've sent it all off now, I put old accom an chose the midle price first, then the second highest, then the second lowest..
I stayed in foundress court for my interview, i dint really like it because my coughing echoed round the room.. :s I know this could be sorted with some actual stuff in the room but I like smallish rooms anyway

Was just seeing if there was any "inside" knowledge :smile:

EDIT: Also, (sixth form leavers ball is coming up) what sort of suit will/might i need for formal halls etc at Pembroke? Also, do many people go to the May Ball/similar? If so, what sort of thing is required then and is this something I should buy or just hire?
Hello,

I'll be starting in October doing Engineering... I'm finishing my gap work placement in a few weeks.

since I'm off travelling like as soon as I finish my job and opearing as soon as i get back... i have a few questions...

what do i really need to take? (so i can start sorting myself out now, sorry about the keen-ness)

How likely is it I'll be expected to give my tutor i run down of what I've been up to this year? (so i can start pulling all my work off the system to show them examples)
hey guys, sorry about slowness of reply.

eflower: formal hall is quite relaxed, just shirt and trousers is fine, you'll be wearing your gown over the top anyway so its not always easy to see. May Balls are Black tie (i believe there's a thread running on that in the oxbridge forum currently). Most people do go to the ball, many people already seem to own black tie, but many people hire so dont worry.

crazynutter: i doubt your tutor will ask what youve been up to. if he does, tell him, i told mine that i did very little etcetc in my gap year, but it is seriously unlikely. Stuff to bring? Well what sort of thing did u have in mind? Cooking utensils are often fairly unused. Bring a water filter though because the tap water is absolutely foul. If i know more specifically what sort of thing you mean i can help! Definitely bring stuff to decorate your room with though.
Reply 70
thank you very much nina :smile: but gowns?! are these bought/hired/borrowed? are they expensive?

hello crazynutter, i'm also starting engineering in october, but i'm not having a year out so ive got my a levels to worry about first :redface:
well you can hire if you want, but to be honest you might as well buy them. it costs about £45, but over three years, 9 terms, thats a fiver a term. You'll wear it fairly regularly to formals so you might as well buy one.
I applied to Pembroke!! Absolutely loved it when I came for interview, everyone was so friendly and the college is beautiful, but they obviously didn't think much of me and I got a big fat rejection. :frown: Applying to uni again now (different course - changed my mind :p: ) so might be at Pembroke one day...
No problem! The music facilities are pretty good, we have i think maybe 2 practice rooms? They seem to be generally available so it wouldnt be a problem getting hold of them, we have our own music society which puts on very regular recitals and we have two choirs, the formal chapel one and a more informal one for people who just want to go and sing and have fun. I'm not musical myself i'm afraid, but there's plenty to get involved, if you're really serious there's also plenty on a university level (which are often more serious societies than college ones!)

Pembroke food has a very good reputation, its great generally, especially the big fry-ups at weekends which people from other colleges often come for specially! Depending on where you are in college, its easy to cook for yourself. I pretty much self-catered and only ate in hall (or 'trough') occasionally.

If you have any other questions then let me know!
Reply 74
Hello there, I am hoping to apply to Pembroke cambridge for english lit starting 2008. My grades and are they good enough.

GCSE
Eng lit A*
Eng lang A*
Maths A*
German A*
French A
RE A
Drama A
Statistics A
Science double A A

My AS grades arent anywhere near as good as either I or my teachers expected so are having all but drama remarked to some degree. English everyone at my college did unpresidently badly so big **** up there, all being remarked.

Drama A
English B
Philos C
French C

Given these my teachers have still predicted me

Drama A
French A
Philos A
English A

I've been in state scholl all my life. Did very well for my school at GCSEs. Am widely read and an eloquent speaker and writer, confident but not to a disgusting degree, and can hold myself together well in an argument.

Would be very greatfull for any advice or comments, aswell if anyone is willing to read my personal statement that would be superb. Also, sorry, Which is a better combination, Drama Eng lit French or Philos Eng lit French, bear in mind my AS grades. How likely am I to get an interview, is it wise to apply to a different college if so which. Thankyou very much, zef.
Reply 75
Hello there,

Anyone else applying to Pembroke for 2008?
I'm applying to read Economics at Pembroke this year.
Although the official deadline for Oxbridge applications is the 15th October, my school want them on the 14th September. Why so early? Haven't got a clue - either they are meticulous with Oxbridge applications or they are terribly slow.

Better hurry to finish off my personal statement.
Is anyone else applying?

To current students - how far is the college from the Marshall Library?
Reply 77
panda-size
I'm applying to read Economics at Pembroke this year.
Although the official deadline for Oxbridge applications is the 15th October, my school want them on the 14th September. Why so early? Haven't got a clue - either they are meticulous with Oxbridge applications or they are terribly slow.

Better hurry to finish off my personal statement.
Is anyone else applying?

To current students - how far is the college from the Marshall Library?

I expect they want them early to give them time to write excellent references. :smile:
Reply 78
panda-size
Is anyone else applying?

I am too! Isn't the college beautiful??? And three-years accommodation sounds so good. Any other reasons Pembroke drew you, as well?
If the Marshall library is the one i think it is then its 8 minutes door-to-door! Its on the Sidgwick site, which is where you'll have your lectures, so don't worry about it being miles away! Good luck to all of you applying this year - i hope to meet you when you come for interviews in December!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending