The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Pembroke College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jsm01
Great, thanks so much. Is there a rule whereby odd numbers face into college or similar?

Nope, nothing like that. I think it's generally numbered "anti-clockwise", so 1 is on your right at the top of the stairs and 4 is on your left. This is true for most staircases that I can think of off the top of my head.

If you want to know more specifically what your room's like, if you PM me your room number I can probably work out where you are (I worked in Red Buildings as a bedder over one summer). :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Actually I've just realised this isn't quite right - aa1-5 are ground floor, then aa6-25's first floor and aa26-45's top floor, sorry...

Original post by fishnet-tights
In AA any rooms in the teens/twenties are first floor, any in the 30s/40s are second floor, with rooms on the being directly under rooms 20 higher (ie 14's directly under 34).
I'm pretty true the same is true for CC. BB's a bit smaller, so BB10-13 are first floor and 14-16 are second floor.
Foundress is pretty much completely interlinking (ie the corridors run from aa round to cc), except for the Nihon room on the ground floor, which means aa 1-5 (all 2nd years this year anyway) is separate from the rest of the rooms.

The numbers in the other staircases work the opposite way around, ie the lower the number the more stairs there are.

Hope this makes sense/helps!

(sorry, I know I'm quoting the wrong message, but I'm rubbish at working this website...)
Can anyone tell me anything about the Orchard Building?
Original post by hannahgracee
Can anyone tell me anything about the Orchard Building?

Orchard Building sits between Foundress and New Court and is between the two in age as well - about the 1950s I believe. It's basically just as good as any other fresher accomodation (it's all fairly homogeneous) but the layout means that Orchard staircases tend to get quite close-knit as you're always bumping into people on the stairs, which isn't necessarily the case in Foundress or New Court. Don't know much about any issues people might have had with it but as I say, quality/size-wise most of the fresher accomodation is basically the same and generally pretty top notch compared to pretty much any other university accomodation :tongue:
Reply 984
Wooo, my pack arrived [yep, post in my country is terrible]! I'm P12 New Court - has anyone got any info about this one?

Original post by DJMayes

Judging from the list on Pem's FB, I suppose that we'll be neighbours, then? A lot of maths-related people on our starcase; I guess you'll be regularly stalked by people cursing over maths work sheets :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Nyolg

Judging from the list on Pem's FB, I suppose that we'll be neighbours, then? A lot of maths-related people on our starcase; I guess you'll be regularly stalked by people cursing over maths work sheets :wink:

You might want to edit out your room number, but yep; although I'm top floor whereas you're ground.

The staircase does seem to be dominated by the mathematically inclined; I personally like that so far although if it continues I will feel somewhat sorry for the lone MMLer. :lol:
So are you not allowed to go home for a night during full term? If you want to visit family, does it just have to be during the day on a day you don't have any lectures/supervisions, etc.?
Original post by mathermuffin
So are you not allowed to go home for a night during full term? If you want to visit family, does it just have to be during the day on a day you don't have any lectures/supervisions, etc.?

In theory, you have to spend so many nights per term within a certain distance of a particular church in Cambridge - so you'd need an "exeat" (permission slip) to go home, and to make up that night. Usually the number of nights isn't a problem because people come down before term, so you've got plenty to make up the count - but in practice few people get exeats anyway. :wink:

Original post by Tortious
In theory, you have to spend so many nights per term within a certain distance of a particular church in Cambridge - so you'd need an "exeat" (permission slip) to go home, and to make up that night. Usually the number of nights isn't a problem because people come down before term, so you've got plenty to make up the count - but in practice few people get exeats anyway. :wink:

Yeah, in my experience this is yet another Cambridge rule that sounds strict in theory but is relatively lax in its application. I'd think the more difficult task would be finding a time during term when you can actually afford to take the amount of time out from work needed to travel home :tongue: But yeah, as long as you don't miss any lectures or supervisions and aren't gone for days at a time I doubt anyone would notice - it's not like they take a register or anything :wink:
Original post by Theflyingbarney
Yeah, in my experience this is yet another Cambridge rule that sounds strict in theory but is relatively lax in its application. I'd think the more difficult task would be finding a time during term when you can actually afford to take the amount of time out from work needed to travel home :tongue: But yeah, as long as you don't miss any lectures or supervisions and aren't gone for days at a time I doubt anyone would notice - it's not like they take a register or anything :wink:

Thanks for the help :smile: it's reassuring to know, even if I don't end up needing/wanting to go home haha!
Reply 990
Original post by Theflyingbarney
Yeah, in my experience this is yet another Cambridge rule that sounds strict in theory but is relatively lax in its application.

In that case, how strict are they about letting non college people stay over in the college rooms? :smile:
Original post by oodrey
In that case, how strict are they about letting non college people stay over in the college rooms? :smile:

Depends on the college but same sort of thing again. At my college we were never supposed to have more than one guest over at a time and even when we had one we had to sign them in for fire safety and the like, but at one point I had two people stay on my floor completely unregistered. As I say, the authorities will likely be strict with you if they catch you at it but in all likelihood they won't notice or have any reason to interfere, as long as you're sensible about it. If for instance you had ten friends over who decided to tramp noisily into the staircase at three in the morning then I imagine they might take issue :tongue:

EDIT: just realised this is on the Pembroke thread and not the 'What do you want to know about Cambridge' one, so all the "depends on college" bits will be largely redundant :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by oodrey

I never hard any problems with this.
21 sleeps to go! :biggrin:
Do Pembroke MMLers have any objective thoughts on MML at the college, ie are the fellows too pushy/not pushy enough, do you get the support you need if things are not going well, do you get access to decent teaching from outside of the college in other languages etc? Still finalising my choices, and given Pembroke seems to have a smaller than average intake for MML compared to some, I was just wondering if it’s something to worry about (apart from the obvious fact there aren’t many places!). Any other comments would be appreciated too!

Thanks very much.
They sent a form ages ago when they were asking about accommodation and there was a checkbox that you could tick if you wanted to use bed linen supplied by the college... I didn't tick it but I think now that I'd rather pay to use the college's rather than my own. Will it still be possible, or is it too late now? Thanks!
They sent a form ages ago when they were asking about accommodation and there was a checkbox that you could tick if you wanted to use bed linen supplied by the college... I didn't tick it but I think now that I'd rather pay to use the college's rather than my own. Will it still be possible, or is it too late now? Thanks!

I would imagine it might be possible, if you ask them very nicely (since so few people take them up on the offer). The best people to email are Housekeeping, probably - hopefully they'll have the sense to inform the people who prepare the bills. :p:
Reply 997
Hey, I have a question about the bursaries. I've been admited the EU Bursary, but I wonder when the money is paid to the students? The thing is, we are expected to pay for certain things (accomodation and KFC) in advance, my booklet says, that the deadline is 18th October and on some website (I can't find it right now :s) I read that the bursary will be paid well after that date. So is that the case that I will have to pay for that stuff from my own pocket and I'll recieve my bursary later on? Is that possible to arrange payments to avoid it? And in what form is the bursary paid to the students? Is it kind of taken from the sum that one's college bill amounts up to?
Original post by Nyolg
Hey, I have a question about the bursaries. I've been admited the EU Bursary, but I wonder when the money is paid to the students? The thing is, we are expected to pay for certain things (accomodation and KFC) in advance, my booklet says, that the deadline is 18th October and on some website (I can't find it right now :s) I read that the bursary will be paid well after that date. So is that the case that I will have to pay for that stuff from my own pocket and I'll recieve my bursary later on? Is that possible to arrange payments to avoid it? And in what form is the bursary paid to the students? Is it kind of taken from the sum that one's college bill amounts up to?

Do you not receive any kind of maintenance loan/grant? These can be used to cover them until you receive the bursary.

(On a side note, how do you know you will be receiving a bursary already? I am guessing it is done differently for you than Home students but I am still surprised you've heard so early.)
Reply 999
Nope, those goodies are only meant for UK students :frown: So do you confirm that the bursary is actully paid after the accomodation payment deadline?

Well, I have contacted Pembroke some time ago (in May), and they confirmed that I've been awarded the bursary, as long as I will prove myself eligible for Fee Loan, which I did later on (there were some more conditions, like this course being my first undergrad course blah blah blah etc.). Some time ago I recieved the SFB stating that I've been admitted the loan, so my guess is that I'll be getting the bursary as well.

Now that I've found that letter (the one confirming my bursary) it's even more confusing - the letter says that the payment will be made in October, and for example this website (page 4):

http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/prospective/financial/bursary.pdf

says that it's paid in 2 parts, first of them at Christmas, as a deduction from my bill; it's about 'Cambridge Bursary' though, and the letter mentions 'Cabridge European Bursary' specificaly, so perhaps there are different arrangements, as EU students are not elegible for grants/maintenance loans?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending