The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Zerforax
Jammy Man Utd pick up another point :frown:

K.Toure comes back an ACON winner :biggrin:

They've done things like this all season man.
Almost every single year, the top 4 spots are occupied by the overall 4 best performing teams.
I feel like this won't be one of those years.

Hopefully that will help his confidence!
He could become very useful if Lucas is out for long - do we have an estimation on that?
Stick him in RCB and push Can to DM is what I'd do.
Coutinho/Sterling doubtful for Tottenham game. And Lucas, too.
Reply 182
Original post by Mackay

Is that through injury or fatigue?
If they're simply too tired to play, Rodgers might as well have just given them the 90 minutes vs Everton.

If all three are out we aren't beating Spurs, I can tell you that now.
Rodgers: "Coutinho had a knock on his knee and Raheem had a knock on his foot. We had fresh players on the bench to bring on and hopefully they will be fit for Tuesday."

So, assume the line-up will be:

Mignolet
Can, Skrtel, Sakho
Markovic, Henderson, Gerrard, A. Moreno
Ibe, Lallana
Sturridge

Maybe Allen instead of Gerrard, with Stevie playing further forward and Ibe relegated to the bench.
Why didn't Lallana take part then? Even if those two had injuries?

Think he was bull****ting.
Original post by Lúcio
They've done things like this all season man.
Almost every single year, the top 4 spots are occupied by the overall 4 best performing teams.
I feel like this won't be one of those years.

Hopefully that will help his confidence!
He could become very useful if Lucas is out for long - do we have an estimation on that?
Stick him in RCB and push Can to DM is what I'd do.

Well Southampton keep rolling on too. If we had beat Everton last night I would've felt more confident but it's looking harder and harder for us.

No, no news on Lucas so far. Yea I'd be tempted to do that too considering how bad Gerrard/Allen have looked at CM. We could also bring Johnson in for Markovic/Ibe at RWB and then have any of Lallana/Ibe/Markovic to replace Sterling/Coutinho?

Original post by Mackay

Not great news at all :frown:

Original post by Mackay
Rodgers: "Coutinho had a knock on his knee and Raheem had a knock on his foot. We had fresh players on the bench to bring on and hopefully they will be fit for Tuesday."

So, assume the line-up will be:

Mignolet
Can, Skrtel, Sakho
Markovic, Henderson, Gerrard, A. Moreno
Ibe, Lallana
Sturridge

Maybe Allen instead of Gerrard, with Stevie playing further forward and Ibe relegated to the bench.

They've had lumps kicked out of them for the last few games so I'm not that surprised. Massive blow coming up to two massive fixtures.
Original post by Mackay

No chance, Williams would be a better shout than Allen any day.
Our current run is pretty brutal:

Spurs (H)
Palace (A) - FA Cup
Besiktas (H) - EL
Southampton (A)
Besiktas (A) - EL
Man City (H)

Not even sure how you prioritise the games. Rodgers obviously sees the FA Cup as winnable but then we need to either finish 4th or win the EL to get into CL for next year..
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
No chance, Williams would be a better shout than Allen any day.

Agreed - but Allen seems to suck off Rodgers or something.

Only way he can get in team based on his form I assume.
Our current run is pretty brutal:

Spurs (H)
Palace (A) - FA Cup
Besiktas (H) - EL
Southampton (A)
Besiktas (A) - EL
Man City (H)

Not even sure how you prioritise the games. Rodgers obviously sees the FA Cup as winnable but then we need to either finish 4th or win the EL to get into CL for next year..

The FA Cup can **** off really. I know that a lot of the 'giants' are out, and Rodgers wants a trophy to show for his three years, and it would be nice for Gerrard, but I'd much rather concentrate on the league.

The EL isn't a foregone conclusion. We'll have to perform extremely well to win it - there's a long way to go and some very strong sides in it.
Original post by Mackay
The FA Cup can **** off really. I know that a lot of the 'giants' are out, and Rodgers wants a trophy to show for his three years, and it would be nice for Gerrard, but I'd much rather concentrate on the league.

The EL isn't a foregone conclusion. We'll have to perform extremely well to win it - there's a long way to go and some very strong sides in it.

I guess we rotate the attack but keep the defence in the FA Cup? Palace will put out a strong team since they don't have a heavy fixture list and are relatively safe from relegation.

Yea and the draw will have such a big impact on who goes through to the latter stages in the EL.
I guess we rotate the attack but keep the defence in the FA Cup?

I reckon we park the bus at Selhurst Park and play for the draw (i.e. rest key attacking players), we'd have home advantage in a replay with fewer critical fixtures either side.
I reckon we park the bus at Selhurst Park and play for the draw (i.e. rest key attacking players), we'd have home advantage in a replay with fewer critical fixtures either side.

The 6th round is penciled in for the weekend of 7th March which is the next available date I could see a 5th round replay being played considering we play every 3/4 days until then..
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/09/lucas-leiva-liverpool-thigh-injury

Not entirely sure how the paper is guessing a month out for Lucas without him having had the scan?
Everton win would basically have secured top four for us in my eyes. As it is, it's in the balance, and we're now up against it.

14 games left and 31 points needed to reach 70, so that's 10 wins and a draw. Just beat Spurs and it becomes 9 wins in 13 which sounds a lot easier. Get one win from Soton and City, leaves you at 8 wins in 11 games - we have to play Chelsea and Arsenal away, United at home, no other tough games (maybe Stoke away on the last day of the season, but you'd think we'd raise our game).

Essentially, we can't afford to slip up anywhere because we're going to get a big fat zero points out of Chelsea and Arsenal. That means to reach 70 points, we need to win 10 of the 12 games that include Soton away, City, Spurs and United at home.

So we're either hoping for an immense run of form (very possible but an obvious dampener yesterday, the injuries and the fixture list isn't promising) or for our rivals to really, really **** up (Soton and United only need 8 wins in their 14 games for 70 points).

Taking the piss?

Last thing we need is a replay and ANOTHER match to contend with.
Original post by KFC Buffet
Everton win would basically have secured top four for us in my eyes. As it is, it's in the balance, and we're now up against it.

14 games left and 31 points needed to reach 70, so that's 10 wins and a draw. Just beat Spurs and it becomes 9 wins in 13 which sounds a lot easier. Get one win from Soton and City, leaves you at 8 wins in 11 games - we have to play Chelsea and Arsenal away, United at home, no other tough games (maybe Stoke away on the last day of the season, but you'd think we'd raise our game).

Essentially, we can't afford to slip up anywhere because we're going to get a big fat zero points out of Chelsea and Arsenal. That means to reach 70 points, we need to win 10 of the 12 games that include Soton away, City, Spurs and United at home.

So we're either hoping for an immense run of form (very possible but an obvious dampener yesterday, the injuries and the fixture list isn't promising) or for our rivals to really, really **** up (Soton and United only need 8 wins in their 14 games for 70 points).

I think 70/71 points is par for finishing 4th place and that's the pace that Southampton/Man Utd are setting at the moment.

Realistically I think we need to beat Spurs, Southampton, Man Utd and Arsenal if we want to finish ahead of them. We're 3-6 points behind each of them but if beat them all then we're 0-3 behind them in our other 9 fixtures.

Burnley (H)
Swansea (A)
Newcastle (H)
Hull (A)
WBA (A)
QPR (H)
Crystal Palace (H)
Stoke (A)

Those 8 games won't be easy to get 24/24 points from either but if we win the other 4 then we can probably afford to drop points ahead 2/3 of those teams.

So hard to predict. It's so tight and you're looking at the form/crumble of 5 teams for 2 spots.
Reply 197
Lucas will be out for a while apparently. He'll be missed, ideally I would put Can into CM and then Lovren or Toure in at RCB but I doubt that will happen, we'll see Gerrard back at CM. I found it amusing during the game and thinking about who could come on for Lucas, literally any of outfield subs could have come on due to the versatility of our players in this system.

Lallana, Coutinho and Sterling are all expected back for tomorrow though. If any of them aren't fit enough though, I'm not too worried because it will just mean Sturridge having to start :biggrin:

Apart from that we only have Flanagan and Jones out atm.

Centre-mid is something we're definitely going to have to look at during the summer. Gerrard is leaving and Allen isn't good enough. Basically we'll have Lucas/Hendo/Can as options if we're playing 2 in midfield and also Coutinho/Lallana if we're playing 3 in midfield. I think we need another one in there. I'm kinda hoping Dortmund get relegated so we can nab Gundogan from them. If we can get someone of that quality (debatable) then I think we're fine. Then we can keep Allen as a back-up, although I think for the good of his career that he would be better off moving on and we can just turn to Rossiter/Williams instead if we really get desperate.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has been discussing the progress of contract talks with Raheem Sterling and Jordon Ibe.

"Raheem has been offered a wonderful deal for a young man who is still developing. Hopefully his representatives can find agreement with the club," Rodgers said. "I know he is happy and you see that in his game.

"He has been granted an opportunity here. We are not a club that is going to give out what a player is not worth at this stage of his career. We want to reward our best talents.

"Jordon's very happy, he's shown his worth in his time here, and hopefully that will get done too.

"Generally, not just for Raheem, it is important young players have something to strive for. If they get too much too young it can sabotage their development. If they get sound advice they will see that."

Not really what you want to be hearing.. so basically Sterling may start fishing for other offers from big clubs who are willing to pay him more.
Reply 199
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has been discussing the progress of contract talks with Raheem Sterling and Jordon Ibe.

Not really what you want to be hearing.. so basically Sterling may start fishing for other offers from big clubs who are willing to pay him more.

Was bound to happen sooner or later..

Latest