The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
I missed the game last night because of a boat party.. I'm a bit confused, what is this diamond formation people are talking about?

Mignolet

Can Skrtel Sakho

Gerrard
Henderson Allen Lallana
Coutinho

Sterling Sturridge

like that??
Original post by Zerforax
No I think it was to negate the two lines of pressing by Swansea who were then getting into the hole - Gerrard coming on added an extra man in the middle but basically sacrificed the width.

Nah we still had the width, it was more rejigging the midfield, to go from a 2-2 set-up to the diamond's 1-2-1. The only reason Lallana tucked in was because that's his natural game, Sterling meanwhile was pinned to the touchline.

You can call it a 3-4-3, towards the end of the game it was a 3-6-1/5-4-1, just depends on how advanced you'd like your two wide players.
Original post by cBay
I missed the game last night because of a boat party.. I'm a bit confused, what is this diamond formation people are talking about?

Mignolet

Can Skrtel Sakho

Gerrard
Henderson Allen Lallana
Coutinho

Sterling Sturridge

like that??

Via the horse's (Rodgers') mouth:

"You push the sides further up, so it's a 3-4-3 but in a different format. We pushed Raheem higher up the pitch onto the full-back, Moreno went right high and then the diamond occupies the spaces in midfield.

"They play with two front players, but we still go three versus two at the back and then that allows us to have the extra numbers. It worked well for us."
Original post by cBay

Mignolet

Can Skrtel Sakho

Gerrard
Henderson Allen Lallana
Coutinho

Sterling Sturridge

like that??

EC MS MS
SG
JH JA
PC
RS DS AL

With Lallana and Sterling progressively getting deeper, as is natural because we were defending a lead.

At times it looked similar to the one you have displayed (only Henderson was still central), but only because Sterling's pace and ball carrying ability took him high up the pitch, and Lallana's natural inclinations as a midfielder playing out wide, is to tuck in.
Reply 1984
Original post by All Day
EC MS MS
SG
JH JA
PC
RS DS AL

With Lallana and Sterling progressively getting deeper, as is natural because we were defending a lead.

At times it looked similar to the one you have displayed (only Henderson was still central), but only because Sterling's pace and ball carrying ability took him high up the pitch, and Lallana's natural inclinations as a midfielder playing out wide, is to tuck in.

got it, I might give it a go on football manager just for the lols
Original post by cBay

Moreno would probably play awfully.
Original post by Zürich
We've got Monaco?

No surprise that a Liverpool fan missed the draw though tbf, Europa wasnt on till later was it? :laugh:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2796245&page=435&p=52844369&highlight=R16#post52844369

Looks like I was right about Arsenal going out in R16 like usual. Five years in a row now.
(edited 9 years ago)
5 years Zerf
Original post by All Day
5 years Zerf

:colondollar: updated - thanks
I really hope we don't get Walcott.
Original post by Mackay
I really hope we don't get Walcott.

I dont think he fits into the FSG model - he's already proven/hyped/on high wages
Original post by Zerforax
he's already proven/hyped/on high wages

I'd argue the first and second points, but yeah. I'd rather pay money out of my own pocket to get Milner rather than Theo.
I like him as a player but we don't need him. Doesn't offer the work rate, tactical awareness, link up play or versatility that Rodgers likes.

And in the striking position, we'd be better off buying a striker.
Walcott? More like Wal-NOT! Right guys?
To think they were celebrating drawing Monaco, believing it to be the easiest draw.

We can't really say anything though, not as if we did any better.
Reply 1995
Original post by cBay

5-1, Brendan is a genius. The average positions diagram is a bit messy because of the substitutions, take out the AM just behind the striker, the higher up RW and the higher up RCM to see the shape.
Original post by cBay

5-1, Brendan is a genius. The average positions diagram is a bit messy because of the substitutions, take out the AM just behind the striker, the higher up RW and the higher up RCM to see the shape.

He's brave and a genius for making the move to it, in game. The dutch have played that kind of 3-4-3 diamond for a long time, Sunday's opponent won the CL with it I believe.
Original post by All Day
Just looked like a diamond 4 to me.

So 3-diamond-3. Not the lopsided type thing that you're mentioning. Lallana cut inside a bit more but only because Sterling is quicker to move up the pitch.

I saw Sturridge and Sterling move as a front two at times but probably because of the reason you stated so I just assumed the formation was lopsided.
I think it's a good option. We've thrived with a proper diamond before. If Gerrard's legs hold, Allen and Henderson are good enough to be our runners, with support from Sterling and Lallana (who have a LOT to do in that system).

The whole point was that Swansea were outnumbering us in midfield and we moved to the diamond to negate it?

Yeah that makes sense, you went a little more direct in your passing too but it felt like a 4 man midfield+ Lallana at times vs a 3 man midfield when before you just had a 2 man and at times the other two AMs pushed deep meaning that Sturridge was isolated up top but you had Sterling in support more nearer the end of the game so you started to see Sturridge get a few more touches. The CMs were wider than usual though.
Reply 1998
Original post by All Day
He's brave and a genius for making the move to it, in game. The dutch have played that kind of 3-4-3 diamond for a long time, Sunday's opponent won the CL with it I believe.

really? The only time I've seen anything similar was Chile at the 2010 WC with their 3-3-1-3. I thought playing without wing-backs was pretty much unheard of. That being said, as I didn't watch the game yesterday I don't know the exact shape, just going on what I've heard
Original post by jam277
Yeah that makes sense, you went a little more direct in your passing too but it felt like a 4 man midfield+ Lallana at times vs a 3 man midfield when before you just had a 2 man and at times the other two AMs pushed deep meaning that Sturridge was isolated up top but you had Sterling in support more nearer the end of the game so you started to see Sturridge get a few more touches. The CMs were wider than usual though.

They had a diamond going too, but their main issue was that their players weren't as good as ours once they'd lost their easy outball to the holding mid, and that the holding mid just didn't affect the game enough after Coutinho was on him. .

http://www.lfc.vn/analysis/analysis-swansea-liverpool-mnf-s15-w29/

MNF have a pretty good section on it, it's from 6 minutes onwards on that page.

Latest