The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3560
pls remove ^^^

Original post by sr90
x
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Agree with this but surely he'd buy superstars that fit his system at City? Moreover he's a well respected manager in world football so i highly doubt the City players would not follow his instructions.

Most of City's players are quite old so they might find it difficult adapting to his methods/tactics. I'm sure City would hand Klopp a large cheque to buy whoever he wants but apparently City aren't looking at him. :confused:

Really agree with the last point. I guess i didnt see it that way but surely losing Sterling and Gerrard would send out the wrong signal? Liverpool have taken 1 step forward and then 2 steps backwards and yes you dont lose many players like Dortmund but thats mainly because you rarely have any world class players at your club compared to Dortmund. They lost Lewa and Gotze and will probably lose Gundogan and Hummels. Whereas any world class player at Liverpool over the past few seasons has beeb poached. Torres, Suarez and Gerrard were the only real world class players that Liverpool have had over the last 3/4 seasons and 2 out of the 3 have left.

Agree about Gerrard. One player that i really admired and he always seemed to drag your club through ****. He's been the heart of the club, a true captain fantastic but the way his Liverpool career is ending is tragic.

There's no point keeping Gerrard for the sake of his legacy. His time is thoroughly up as a player at Liverpool and the longer he stays playing here the worse it'll be. Wrt to Sterling yeah it'd be a shame if we were to lose him this summer but even if we did we would get a hefty fee. He still has a year or two on his current contract and the club wouldn't exactly lie down and let him leave easily. It'd more of a negative for Sterling to leave anyways, he's better off staying at Liverpool a for at least another season or two where he can develop and improve more. The top clubs in Europe are hardly going to start him week in and week out. Even if he was to leave we still have Ibe, sure he's not as good as Sterling but he's similar and still has a lot of potential. Yeah we don't have world class talent like Dortmund do but when Suarez left we got 80m and Torres was past his peak and a crock who we somehow got 50m for. We still was able to make maximum profit from selling them, but the funds weren't efficiently used in the following transfer windows. Gerrard's end to the club is very sad but he's still one of the best, if not the greatest to play for the club. He'll be remembered as a legend for all the good he's done for the club rather than the shortcomings of the end of his career.

Agreed but trying isnt enough. You still failed to sign any world class players but then again as Mackay and others have said, maybe its not your transfer policy to be signing world class ready made players but more youngers with great potential. Last season seems to have given Liverpool unrealistic expectations for this season and thats what i mean by fan pressure. Fair enough fans always expect thier club to do really well and you really should have pushed on after last season but i agree with the point Rodgers made earlier this season. He said last season you massively overachieved and he was right as many of you would agree. You're still developing under Rodgers and last season seems to have put him under immense pressure if you get what i mean. Last season was a one off and as ive said before, last our last season and in comparison to the last 2/3 seasons at Liverpool, finishing 5th this season would be progress.

FSG policy is to buy decent/upcoming talent for cheap and try to coach them to become star players. They don't go for proven players like Chelsea/City. Of course BR is under immense pressure from last season, it still doesn't give him total immunity of his failure of this season in Europe and domestically and the poor buys in the past two transfer windows. Irregardless of last season, this year it has been very poor for us. Our form from Aug to mid December was terrible and BR seemed completely clueless and stubborn during that period of time. Similarly in Europe we fell flat on our faces and BR looked out of his depth. I really think the 13 game streak we had might lead to BR just about keeping his job for another season. We might not even finish 5th though, Tottenham and Soton are hot on our heels.

I agree with you in the sense he needs time but i guess its really tough for a manager at a big club. Rodgers' tenure in charge of Liverpool in terms of results look dire and especially when you take into account his (although theres some transfer committe?) transfer record but there finally seems to be a direction and a style of football he has/is imposing on your club. I think his job is safe and he'll be in charge next season.

Yeah we have a transfer committee, I don't know if they all come together and pick who to sign or if BR has the final say. BR has set a good foundation at Liverpool and he's been able to get rid of most of the deadwood. I agree he has set us in the right direction but the question is, will he be able to reassert Liverpool as a global power again? For all the good he has done with the club like nurturing youth and improving players, success is ultimately measured in trophies. In his 3 seasons he hasn't won a single trophy, yes he has improved our style of play which as a fan is a delight to see at times. But he's also struggled defensively for the past 3 seasons and at times he seems unable to come up with a back up plan when things start going wrong. I agree that overall BR does deserve another season but the thing is if we end up 5/6th and way off 4th place next season chances are we might not be able to bring in a world class coach like Klopp if he gets a job this summer. It's also risky if we do get Klopp in since the grass isn't always greener on the other side. However, I feel that since Klopp is free now we'd be stupid not to approach him. I hate seeing managers being sacked within a few seasons but I feel Klopp would be more likely to get us trophies.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think Liverpool would be a terrible option for Klopp. He's not leaving Dortmund with his reputation in tact, regardless of how you look at it, he went from titles and CL finals to relegation zone and he's leaving them mid table. He goes to Liverpool he's going to have budgetary restrains, with the aim being top 4, something notoriously difficult to crack without a load of money. The only two clubs that have for more than one season broken into the top 4 long term have done so with the help of a billionaire. So regardless of how well he does in actuality, he may well fail in expected goals. His best hope is probably assembling a good team and going on a Europa run, however its a gamble because the league position isn't allowed to suffer. So losing in the quarters/semis and finishing 6th or something is not considered a good season.

Simply put Spurs, Liverpool, Southampton, Everton are brilliant places for aspiring managers who may well be able to move on to bigger and better things, by hinting at their potential. They are not good places for top tier managers to do anything other than damage their reputation by adding a few years in the wilderness and having little to show for it at the end of it.

I'm not convinced Rodgers will get the sack anyway, the backdrop of the striker issue, with the transfer committee cannot be overlooked.
You lot may be getting Depay after all.

Liverpool are probably better than United as the stepping stone for a move to Paris, Madrid or Barca.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
Liverpool are probably better than United as the stepping stone for a move to Paris, Madrid or Barca.

Nobody would use United as stepping stone for PSG.
I really liked this bit
Suarez's contribution was not just about goals and assists: it was about fight, sacrifice, dedication and leadership.

Because it's something I've always brought up about him, and something I love about him. There's few like him, and that alone was worth more than the £65m fee we got.
The issue we've had - and it's only that has been glaringly obvious from September - is the lack of goals.

We get to the final third, we've got intricate passing and a great support cast, but there's no focal point or charismatic/talismanic striker to bang them in regularly. It's the same old thing time and time again. We huffed and puffed today, with all our possession, but we could have been on that pitch a week and not found a winner.

West Brom parked the bus at home, and it seemed as if we were playing at Anfield. That's what it felt like. A Pulis side, excuse the cliche, is always going to be well organised, but we haven't got a battering ram to break any side down. I have a feeling we'll draw a few games before the end of the season. It had an air of holiday about it already, which is a damning indictment on how much confidence has ebbed away since the Arsenal/United defeats, and the FA Cup exit.

Positives: I thought Balotelli and Lovren had good games. The thing is, the former is absolutely useless on his own. He needs a partner.

Balotelli started up front in a league game for the first time since November 8, while Gerrard was back in the deep-lying-playmaker role that had been scrapped after the Palace defeat. It was a journey back to pre-Christmas, when we were woeful. Rodgers has identified how woeful we were in that time, too, so why revert to the same formation? It's puzzling.

Sterling is our top scorer with just 7. The last time we had a top scorer who notched under 10 was 04/05 with Milan Baros, but at least we won the CL that year. That's another issue. In Rafa's heyday, we were constantly pitted against sides who would look to shut up shop and frustrate us. Sure, we may never have had the firepower to break them down, but when we got to a key game I had every faith that Rafa's team would be set-up well in a system which would bamboozle the opposition. I don't have that faith with this squad.

Part of me thinks Rodgers' stubborness with starting Balotelli - despite claiming he's useless as a front man on his own - is to show FSG that he hasn't got the goals to get CL football. Well, Brendan, you went out and signed Lambert. Even when Borini came on, there was no system change. He replaced Balotelli like-for-like. Why not go for a duo?

Mignolet needed to be on form again, too, which is shocking when you think West Brom could have theoretically came away with a victory from today.
Were Liverpool 3atb today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3573
Original post by Gob Bluth
Were Liverpool 3atb today?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No 4 at back in the first half, then morphed into something weird in the second half which basically had Can playing everywhere, in defence it was:

Can Skrtel Lovren Johnson
Gerrard
Hendo Coutinho
Ibe-------------- Sterling
Balotelli

but in attack it was:

Skrtel Gerrard Lovren

Ibe Can Coutinho Johnson
Hendo --------
--------Sterling
Balotelli

it was rather odd seeing Can move from a full back position into a central mid position in the transition phase, but tbh it was pretty effective.. just left us a bit exposed with Ibe and Can not knowing who was supposed to be doing what when they countered.

I'm surprised he wasn't banned instantly after making the post.

Even the battle to avoid the Europa League might not get to happen. I have noticed as well that the FA Cup runners up no longer get to qualify for the Europa League, which means that when Arsenal beat Aston Villa the team finishing 7th will still qualify. Thank **** that rule wasn't in place last season.
I disagree with the post/posts above that say that we're a lost cause and forever resigned to fifth and below.

It's been shown pretty conclusively that we're just a striker away. By the eye test, and by the stats.

And our young squad will continue to improve all round. Coutinho will be one of the finest players in the world when he's in his prime, likewise Sterling. Can could well be the lynchpin for the German national team. Sakho already is the leader of the French defence. The likes of Moreno, Lallana and Henderson are adequate in the long term too, and Mignolet has proved himself excellent when he's allowed to be Mignolet, and not Victor Valdes. Lovren's recent improvement is encouraging, Skrtel and Allen are both good in their preferred roles. We've seen Sakho, Coutinho and Henderson progress massively this season, and they, along with the others, will continue to do so in the seasons to come. Dead wood and ageing players are being removed from our squad; there isn't the budget restrictions, in wage or transfer funds, that people are talking about.

The raw materials are there with us, just need two more players. Nobody is even asking for a 31 goal striker like Suarez, 15 would do, and the benefit of a fit defensive mid would be helpful too; we're 10 times better when Lucas plays. Every team except Chelsea is vulnerable to dropping out, and we're not that far off.
Well top four race is back on now. You can still make it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3577
Original post by sr90
Well top four race is back on now. You can still make it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it just makes not winning yesterday even more painful
News just IN
We have signed Milner, it is pretty much a done deal
Can't let you guys avoid the wumming

3 years, £215 million spent and this is the only cup Brendan has ever lifted.

Latest