The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
That's true. It could also be a 3-5-2 like he played around october 2013 to initially fit SAS, but that would need a very good attacking fullback at RB.

It would also mean, realistically, deploying Can at centre-back because Rodgers doesn't trust Lovren enough but Can has been very vocal over the past few weeks about being placed in a more advanced role next season. He certainly sees his future as a central midfielder, able to have an influence on us going forward.
So Lacazette or Benteke ain't happening
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5982
Original post by AR_95
So Lacazette or Benteke ain't happening

Yeah but Milner and Ings... :wink:
Liverpool will not be pursuing interest in Benteke. (Independent)
Reply 5984
Original post by Mackay

actually happy about that tbh.

not sure who we're gonna buy but i reallllllllly didn't want benteke...
Original post by Mackay

Thank god, crisis averted! Good thing the club have sense not to splurge 30+ million on a player who doesn't fit into our system. He would have been another square peg for a round hole.
The club will still bid 20m for him but luckily Villa won't accept that. Still have a nagging feeling that a compromise might be reached around 27-28m. I'm not sure where on the Independent you're reading @Mackay but on their website it says
Liverpool also retain an interest in the Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke but are not prepared to pay the £32.5m buyout clause in the Belgian’s contract.The Villa manager, Tim Sherwood, said in the aftermath of the club’s FA Cup final defeat on Saturday that Benteke would not be permitted to leave for less than that sum, however Liverpool hope that they can persuade Villa to sell him for less.

So yeah, I do think that the club will still push for a compromise. Barrett mentioned a bit of around 20m too, iirc.

anyway I don't think the Indy have anyone connected to the club. Basc*nt, Joyce, Barrett and the Echo are the usual suspects.
(edited 8 years ago)
I hope Villa stand firm and we don't get him, if I'm honest.
Ings and Milner would be decent business for £10-ish million. Don't know how much Ings is going for, saw Spurs bid £12 million, but Milner would improve your squad in about four positions.
Reply 5989
Original post by The Shed End
Ings and Milner would be decent business for £10-ish million. Don't know how much Ings is going for, saw Spurs bid £12 million, but Milner would improve your squad in about four positions.

i agree; both would be decent squad additions.
i'm just a little afraid that we won't buy a decent striker and ings will end up being first team once sturridge inevitably gets injured.
Original post by The Shed End

Ings would be a free, but Burnley would be entitled to compensation, and both clubs will likely settle on around £5m/£6m.
i like how we are looking for cheap options such as Milner and Ings. What will this achieve ?
Reply 5993
Original post by tonystark
i like how we are looking for cheap options such as Milner and Ings. What will this achieve ?

you have to consider that they won't be our "major summer signings" (i hope).
these players are just components that will help bolster our squad.

if we can get the pair of them on free transfers (with less than 10m compensation to burnley), that's a decent bit of business, which leaves the rest of our budget to try and peruse higher quality targets.
I don't think Milner is a bad option. He can play across the midfield, probably be one of your better "defensive" midfielder. Lucas can't play on forever. Makes sense
Reply 5995
Original post by IanLim93
I don't think Milner is a bad option. He can play across the midfield, probably be one of your better "defensive" midfielder. Lucas can't play on forever. Makes sense

one of the most underrated PL players imo.
he's much better than people think and he was underused at city.
his wages might be pretty high but since we're losing johnson and gerrard, i would say it's a decent trade.
Original post by Lúcio
one of the most underrated PL players imo.
he's much better than people think and he was underused at city.
his wages might be pretty high but since we're losing johnson and gerrard, i would say it's a decent trade.

Definitely underused at City, I don't actually understand what City are going to do about the home grown quota. They're going to have to over spent on average English/home grown players over the summer.

I reckon Milner could easily be one of your best summer signings especially coming on a free.
Bear in mind transfer window hasn't even started yet, Ings and Milner will not be our major signings (hopefully). Otherwise we'll end up in another situation where Lambert who was supposed to be a backup/alternative striker ends up leading the line for Liverpool.
Original post by tonystark

More money to piss away on Bolasie and some kid from the Portuguese league who has ''potential''
Looks like Rodgers is staying as manager for next season.

I can't decide on Milner.. he just doesn't have a best position and then it becomes difficult to decide how to use him. Him and Henderson in the middle would work very hard but then you don't get the quality?

Latest