The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by difeo
Yes it does. My point is that Chelsea's transfer business in the last few years has been better than Liverpool's, and it turning out that Liverpool spent a few million less per season doesn't change that.

It's awful for Liverpool yeah, but I did Chelsea first and there was only one mistake (Cech) so I assumed it was a decent enough site.

'edit: For comparison Liverpool have a net spend of 57m per season in the same period, twice as much.'

That's all I commented on. Which has been proven blatantly incorrect, by a factor of virtually 2, in fact. Anybody with eyes knows that they've been excellent in the transfer market post-Torres, I have no objections to that. Let's just not make out Liverpool to be some kind of big spending force though, when any big spends have been manufactured by selling off our best players, and that's never a worthwhile strategy.
Original post by Pimped Butterfly
'edit: For comparison Liverpool have a net spend of 57m per season in the same period, twice as much.'

That's all I commented on. Which has been proven blatantly incorrect, by a factor of virtually 2, in fact. Anybody with eyes knows that they've been excellent in the transfer market post-Torres, I have no objections to that. Let's just not make out Liverpool to be some kind of big spending force though, when any big spends have been manufactured by selling off our best players, and that's never a worthwhile strategy.

Sure but that wasn't really my point, just a sidenote because Chelsea's figure is fairly useless without context.
Original post by difeo
Sure but that wasn't really my point, just a sidenote because Chelsea's figure is fairly useless without context.

Maybe the fact that Liverpool have a (marginally) lower net spend and yet far worse transfer dealings can highlight that the difference between the teams isn't the net spend, it's the quality of players identified and recruited.

So you provided vastly incorrect figures for Liverpool in an irrelevant context, strong.
Maybe the fact that Liverpool have a (marginally) lower net spend and yet far worse transfer dealings can highlight that the difference between the teams isn't the net spend, it's the quality of players identified and recruited.

So you provided vastly incorrect figures for Liverpool in an irrelevant context, strong.

How is a discussion about the strength of a team's transfer business an irrelevant context to quote figures on transfer spending?

The difference is partly quality of players and partly net spend.
Original post by difeo
How is a discussion about the strength of a team's transfer business an irrelevant context to quote figures on transfer spending?

The difference is partly quality of players and partly net spend.

This is a meaningless discussion that's stemmed from you dismissing the fact that you provided grossly incorrect figures.

Go to bed
This is a meaningless discussion that's stemmed from you dismissing the fact that you provided grossly incorrect figures.

Go to bed

It stemmed from you getting mad over a minor sidenote that had no effect on the main debate
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/29/liverpool-malaysia-low-attendance-steven-gerrard-raheem-sterling-departures

The game last week between the Premier League club and a Malaysia select XI ended 1-1 with an unofficial attendance of around 50,000, less than the 80,000 that had watched a similar friendly in 2013 at the same arena.

There was a similar story in Bangkok in the first game of the tour with the usually full Rajamangala Stadium half-empty for the visit of Liverpool, traditionally well supported in south-east Asia, though two intervening games in Australia were more successful.

Wonder if that means we won't go to that part of Asia again any time soon.
I won't be saying a bad thing about Brendan or Liverpool anymore.

Just finish / beat Chelsea, injure Hazard and it's all good.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bubzeh
I won't be saying a bad thing about Brendan or Liverpool anymore.

Just finish / beat Chelsea, injure Hazard and it's all good.

Did Mourinho upset you that much with his latest comments?
Original post by Zerforax
Did Mourinho upset you that much with his latest comments?

It's just fueling the inevitable meeting of Chelsea / Madrid in the CL this season.

Cannot wait.
Original post by Bubzeh
It's just fueling the inevitable meeting of Chelsea / Madrid in the CL this season.

Cannot wait.

In fairness Rafa could do with losing some weight. Poor guy is going to go to an early grave otherwise.

Although pretty pathetic by Mourinho. Such a lack of respect for other managers. He's regularly insulting to Wenger and Pellegrini too.
In fairness Rafa could do with losing some weight. Poor guy is going to go to an early grave otherwise.

Although pretty pathetic by Mourinho. Such a lack of respect for other managers. He's regularly insulting to Wenger and Pellegrini too.

To be fair he'd just had his entire career insulted
I find it quite funny, because I'm pretty sure he hasn't taken a single such shot in our direction for a while now. I suspect he knows he's running out of top clubs to manage, and sees United as quite possibly the last heavyweight he has left as an option. Pretty crude insult, basically, yeah well you're fat as a comeback.

Original post by Bubzeh
Do you have an honest prediction for Rafa's reign at the Bernabeu? He is supposed to be well backed upstairs so could have more support to ride out the bumps than some expect.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
To be fair he'd just had his entire career insulted

Tongue in cheek comment about his career by Rafa's wife. Don't see the need to insult Rafa for his weight. Fair enough for Mourinho to insult Rafa for ruining the Inter side in 6 months who had been treble winners though.

How you do explain him calling Pellegrini, Pellegrino?

Original post by Fizzel
I find it quite funny, because I'm pretty sure he hasn't taken a single such shot in our direction for a while now. I suspect he knows he's running out of top clubs to manage, and sees United as quite possibly the last heavyweight he has left as an option. Pretty crude insult, basically, yeah well you're fat as a comeback.

Do you have an honest prediction for Rafa's reign at the Bernabeu? He is supposed to be well backed upstairs so could have more support to ride out the bumps than some expect.

He didn't slag off Man Utd while SAF was there either. I can't decide if he has respect for Man Utd as an institution or SAF as a person. I'm surprised he hasn't taken more shots at LVG though.
Mourinho was blatantly after Fergies job hence the consistent brown nosing. However the powers that be thought David Moyes would be a better choice.... That worked out well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tongue in cheek comment about his career by Rafa's wife. Don't see the need to insult Rafa for his weight. Fair enough for Mourinho to insult Rafa for ruining the Inter side in 6 months who had been treble winners though.

How you do explain him calling Pellegrini, Pellegrino?

I just think insulting the career of one of the best managers ever is worse than calling someone fat in retaliation, when they actually are fat.

Well there's a manager called Pellegrino who Mourinho knows from managing in Spain together so I can believe it was just a slip of the tongue.
Original post by Fizzel

Lightweight in DM. A ball winner needs to be signed and that's what RM fans are worried about because there's no signings being made or talked about in that position. Plus there's ALOT of young players being given a go in pre-season. So that could be the route the club want to go down now.

But in all honesty, if De Gea is signed, I think Madrid will win everything anyway.

Rafa ruining Inter is one of the biggest myths ever. Please go back and research the sides Rafa had to put out and the financial situation of the club. 17 year old's like Coutinho and Biabiany were having to play every game because the first team players were injured or fatigued after the World Cup. There was a game in September / October / November where 3 Inter players all had to be subbed before the 40th minute in a league game. Hilarious wasn't even close.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
I just think insulting the career of one of the best managers ever is worse than calling someone fat in retaliation, when they actually are fat.

Well there's a manager called Pellegrino who Mourinho knows from managing in Spain together so I can believe it was just a slip of the tongue.

But it's talking about someone's profession whereas the latter is just a personal insult.

It's like discussing footballing ability and then calling a player ugly - what relevance is it?

Bull**** - Mourinho is just a *****. You think he doesn't know the name of one of his rivals? I bet he never apologised to Pellegrini for it either. No love lost between that pair.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2533410-premier-league-tactics-what-to-watch-at-liverpool-this-season

Fantastic article that previews our season from a tactical perspective. From a great author too (@AR_95).

Latest