The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Entirely new back 3, that's worrying...
Reply 981
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I don't have much faith in Lovren, hope Toure is back this week.

Can looked uncomfortable on the left, he needs to be back on the right.

i agree - i feel like we're desperately trying to justify how we bought him for 20m.
i'm not saying he's useless; he has put in a few decent performances lately, but when you watch him you can tell he isn't really good enough for us - could give several examples from the soton game alone.

i wouldn't like Can in defence for the long run however for now i would say he's a better option than Lovren.

Original post by Zerforax
The accounts for last year haven't come out yet which makes it difficult.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/

Discussion there about the new TV deal and also the potential increase in overseas rights.

Last season Liverpool got £97.5mil from TV money and Cardiff in 20th got £62.1mil
As an estimate, the expectation is the highest earning club is more likely to earn around £150mil and the lowest club will get £92mil.
So going forward we should have an extra £30-40mil to spend just from the new TV deals without factoring our new commercial deals. I don't think we'll bank any of the stadium increase money for another 5-10 years (once it has repaid for itself).

true - i think a CL finish along with the TV deal would definitely set us up well.

we need a CB, striker and CM (would've said GK a few months ago but mignolet has come good).
a quality striker would be costing 35m+ you would imagine.
CB wouldn't be as expensive; likely 10-20m.
CM would vary wildly depending on who we get - probably 20-30m.

so we're talking maybe 70-90m if we decide to go all out money wise to get quality in those specific positions, using the rest of our budget to replace/upgrade players that are to leave?
i would say that's reasonable considering we'd generate funds from sales too.

Original post by SA-1
Do you reckon Rodgers will get the sack if he fails to make top four, and doesn't win the FA cup or Europa league?

& if he does, who will come in?

no way he'd get sacked imo - last season has definitely helped his cause.
not to mention how he's showing right now how good we can be when he finds a good system.
the only problem is how long it takes him to find it; a slow start every season would not be welcomed, although in the end it's all about where you finish.

Original post by Mackay
Mignolet
Lovren Skrtel Toure
Ibe Can Allen A. Moreno
Lallana Sterling
Sturridge

That's my guess.

still more than enough to secure the tie, even with so many players out.
Original post by Lúcio
true - i think a CL finish along with the TV deal would definitely set us up well.

we need a CB, striker and CM (would've said GK a few months ago but mignolet has come good).
a quality striker would be costing 35m+ you would imagine.
CB wouldn't be as expensive; likely 10-20m.
CM would vary wildly depending on who we get - probably 20-30m.

so we're talking maybe 70-90m if we decide to go all out money wise to get quality in those specific positions, using the rest of our budget to replace/upgrade players that are to leave?
i would say that's reasonable considering we'd generate funds from sales too.

It's difficult because we can't really bank on getting CL money year in and out (think the other clubs like Man Utd do assume it).

I do wonder if they would splash all the money again at once? The problem with the TV deal is that all the English Premier League clubs get it (think all 20 teams will be in the top 40 for revenues in the world) which makes it hard to buy from them and they will outbid/spend high on foreign players too so we don't get an advantage per say.

I'd guess we'd at least spend 30mil net?
Reply 983
It's difficult because we can't really bank on getting CL money year in and out (think the other clubs like Man Utd do assume it).

I do wonder if they would splash all the money again at once? The problem with the TV deal is that all the English Premier League clubs get it (think all 20 teams will be in the top 40 for revenues in the world) which makes it hard to buy from them and they will outbid/spend high on foreign players too so we don't get an advantage per say.

I'd guess we'd at least spend 30mil net?

true, united have the money but we'd need to use what we have the aqcuire talent and consolidate a top 4 place.

yes, all PL teams would get a lot of money, however the difference would be the pull that they all have.
if we make CL for the second year in a row, fringe players for the biggest clubs may see us as a very decent option - instead of sitting on the sidelines they could be a key player for a CL team.
Original post by Lúcio
true, united have the money but we'd need to use what we have the aqcuire talent and consolidate a top 4 place.

yes, all PL teams would get a lot of money, however the difference would be the pull that they all have.
if we make CL for the second year in a row, fringe players for the biggest clubs may see us as a very decent option - instead of sitting on the sidelines they could be a key player for a CL team.

I'd say we're still at least 5th in terms of pull in the premier league.
Had to be done

https://vine.co/v/O2mlZpZZX0z

Kanye West on stage:"I'm sorry Madonna, but Steven Gerrard had one of the best slips of all time"
Reply 986
I'd say we're still at least 5th in terms of pull in the premier league.

i'd say we're 4th after what i saw tonight :wink:
Original post by The Shed End
Had to be done

Kanye West on stage:"I'm sorry Madonna, but Steven Gerrard had one of the best slips of all time"

:rofl:
Had to be done

I'd give you credit if 99% of your jokes weren't copy pasted off twitter, including your extra special effort on the AFC thread.
Reply 989
Original post by So Instinct
I'd give you credit if 99% of your jokes weren't copy pasted off twitter, including your extra special effort on the AFC thread.

i would give you rep but it seems like i'm all out after the laughs from the arsenal thread tonight :wink:

No need to be so salty or have a sense of humour failure. Where have I claimed them to be all my own jokes? That's rich, a Liverpool fan lecturing someone on stealing.

Besides, I would embed the tweets if the function actually worked on here :cool:
No need to be so salty or have a sense of humour failure. Where have I claimed them to be all my own jokes? That's rich, a Liverpool fan lecturing someone on stealing.

Besides, I would embed the tweets if the function actually worked on here :cool:

Flavour of the month comeback: Salty.

Anywho no need to feel some type of way, I'm just letting it be known.
(edited 9 years ago)
Flavour of the month comeback: Salty.

Anywho no need to feel some type of way, I'm just letting it be known.

*expressing an opinion. Please dont try and act like you're some kind of forum spokesperson.
*expressing an opinion. Please dont try and act like you're some kind of forum spokesperson.

Did you not just admit to it? How is it then an opinion?

And why not? If I notice you're blantantly ripping on twitter jokes with no hint to suggest they're not yours you will get called out.

So defensive lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Letting it be known that Twitter jokes aren't funny? That's an opinion sherlock.
Letting it be known that Twitter jokes aren't funny? That's an opinion sherlock.

When did I say they're not funny, in fact I even said I'd give you credit if they weren't ripped, suggesting they were actually funny and were they yours I would give you credit..

Damn, the irony of being called Sherlock and having to break a simple sentence down for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh btw just so everyone knows, the whole three match threads in a week will be scraped on monday so after then you can match thread your heads off! :biggrin:

So how do you guys think you will fare against Besiktas tonight?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

So how do you guys think you will fare against Besiktas tonight?

Unsure. Really unsure. I'm annoyed that Everton's on ITV1, too.
Reply 998
Original post by Mackay
Unsure. Really unsure. I'm annoyed that Everton's on ITV1, too.

Same; we SHOULD have enough to win but 1 goal isn't a big lead.
At least if we score, it can't go to ET.

Everton whose tie is basically over are on ITV1 yet Liverpool whose tie is still to play for are on ITV4 (I think).
Seems about right.

I spoke to one of the site developers about this the other day and he said it should be very easy to set up, so hopefully it'll be here soon.

Original post by Lúcio
Everton whose tie is basically over are on ITV1 yet Liverpool whose tie is still to play for are on ITV4 (I think).
Seems about right.

ITV4 means you'll get a proper commentary team and not Chiles, Townsend and Tyldesley. Surely that's a good thing?
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest