The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samir12
Very nervous about the Burnley game, it's the perfect game for us to **** up after great wins against Soton and City.

Na, you'll add Sturridge to the side from the start so he should find his shooting boots soon, Burnley is the perfect game for that. I think Gerrard is in contention, but he'll most likely come off the bench to get some minutes/provide set piece threat.

I think Gerrard will do well from now till the end of the season though. He's had a rest after being injured, playing in a better system than he was before where there's movement in front of him.
Original post by jam277
Na, you'll add Sturridge to the side from the start so he should find his shooting boots soon, Burnley is the perfect game for that. I think Gerrard is in contention, but he'll most likely come off the bench to get some minutes/provide set piece threat.

I think Gerrard will do well from now till the end of the season though. He's had a rest after being injured, playing in a better system than he was before where there's movement in front of him.

Yh, Burnley will look to press us and won't be sitting back. Should be space in behind for Sturridge or Sterling to make runs.
Burnley are a good side away from home. Midfielders all really hardworking and they transition quickly, they have deficiencies on the left side though so Ibe/Markovic can get at them. Heaton has a little weakness to top corner shots to so can see a long range effort going in. It could be close because the midfielders press well and they'll deny Lallana/Coutinho the space they got the other day though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Depleted
Lol at the irony of a team who play 5 at the back, shove a defensive midfielder in and then sweating it with FIFA style pace with a fast black man up top labelling other people's style of play.

**** me you don't watch us much, do you?
Reply 1184
Original post by Mackay
**** me you don't watch us much, do you?

it's FKLW so i wouldn't be surprised about his lack of knowledge :wink:
FFS.
Burnley are 18th in the PL away table. With 8 points, one win, in 13 games. They are not really what I'd call a 'good away side', even if they did take a point off Chelsea. Boyd worked very, very hard against us in the reverse fixture.

We did slip up to Leicester, who are 19th in the away table with the same number of points as Leicester, so it's not a foregone conclusion. But we're a better side and we all know about Rodgers' teams and momentum, something I've been banging on about since December. First season we managed 2 points a game after January, last year 2.53, this season 2.50 so far. 2 points is comfortably top four form, and 2.50 over a season equals the highest ever PL points tally, so it's safe to say that Rodgers knows what he's doing once he's hit the right formula.

Burnley won't be as lax as City in midfield, but they'll offer little going forwards, and their defenders won't be as physically good, or as alert as City's. Expect us to win 1 on 1s due to superior technique and pace. Shame that Ibe is injured, because he'd tear them apart.
Original post by jam277

Gerrard is now an AM option for us rather than a CM option. At CM, we have (in order) Lucas, Henderson, Allen, and Can ahead of him.

At AM he doesn't have the speed or technique to trouble anyone, or the long shots anymore. He isn't nuanced or subtle enough to be a classic Riquelme type playmaker, even if he has the technical tools to be one, and we don't need or want one, in any case.

Spoiler

Win % with Gerrard in the team: 40%
Win % without Gerrard in the team: 85%
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Yh, Burnley will look to press us and won't be sitting back. Should be space in behind for Sturridge or Sterling to make runs.

What makes you think that?
Original post by cBay
The difference between getting knocked out against Blackburn and winning the whole thing is two games, one of which isn't until a week after the season has finished... I really don't see what the problem is. Coutinho can be rested here and there, Lallana is a worthy replacement and would thrive if he was the focal point.

Exactly. There is literally no trade off. We have an 8 day gap before the Swansea game to rest our batteries, Blackburn is a formality, and there is competition for places EVERYWHERE in our squad.

There's absolutely no reason why we can't get top four and the cup, and they're pretty much mutually exclusive events.
Original post by jam277
While from the highlights the win looks deserved since you missed a lot of half chances and a couple clear cut chances(Lallana, Sturridge etc.) City did have a few chances to make it 2-2. Anyway you look like the form team, but I see the way to beat you guys. Going 4-3-3, sitting deep, you have a screen player to help the defence with the diagonal runs that the AMs like to make, the team are deep already rather than playing the offside trap like City do so you don't get space in behind to have as many chances as you did.

Try it against us this year. The difference between us this year and last year, is twofold.

Now when we attack walls, we have a) more penetrative and aggressive dribbling threats from all over the pitch, and b) far, far better long range shooting. What we've lost is Suarez's ingenuity and our set piece ability from last year, but if we took this team (assuming a more on form Sturridge, but even the Coutinho-Lallana-Sterling front three) into last year's Chelsea game, we'd win. We'd make the breakthrough at some point. We've already seen, in the first leg this year, how having that front three with Sterling dropping deep causes you immense problems. You didn't even have to face Ibe in that match.

It hasn't come yet, but we're an on form striker away from mauling someone 6-0. Could be Burnley...
Original post by SUGe Knight
Gerrard is now an AM option for us rather than a CM option. At CM, we have (in order) Lucas, Henderson, Allen, and Can ahead of him.

At AM he doesn't have the speed or technique to trouble anyone, or the long shots anymore. He isn't nuanced or subtle enough to be a classic Riquelme type playmaker, even if he has the technical tools to be one, and we don't need or want one, in any case.

Spoiler

I'm not saying start him, more saying that he can be utilised more effectively than he was the first half of the season.

Spoiler

The issue has been our form against lower league opposition at Anfield. We've only won ONCE out of SIX against lower-half opposition at home - and that was West Brom, by a single goal.

Draws against Hull, Sunderland and Leicester were symptomatic of the problems we faced without a nippy, mobile and energetic striker up top. Hopefully Sturridge's return rectifies that - but we've only scored more than twice at home on two separate occasions this season. We're 31 goals shy of our home tally from last campaign, and we're ten goals behind Man United/Southampton's goal difference.
Original post by samir12
United struggle against the small teams because they don't have a clue how to break defences down other than hoof to Fellaini, when it comes to a big game where it is more open they will fare better, (eg Chelsea, Tottenham). They can hurt us on the counter if we arn't careful but our defence is a lot more solid than it was at OT and their away form is **** as it is so we are favourites for that game but it certainly won't be a comfortable one.

I can see them playing on the counter like they did at OT (and at the Emirates in the second half), worked well but we made it easy for them via diabolical defending. This time they will have to work harder to get the goals.

There's also 3 defenders and a holding midfielder, and any two of three of the fastest wingbacks in the league on the flanks... going to be pretty hard for old men like Falcao and Rooney to damage us on the counter.

They won't be getting any goals.

And they won't be stopping us scoring.
Original post by Mackay
The issue has been our form against lower league opposition at Anfield. We've only won ONCE out of SIX against lower-half opposition at home - and that was West Brom, by a single goal.

Draws against Hull, Sunderland and Leicester were symptomatic of the problems we faced without a nippy, mobile and energetic striker up top. Hopefully Sturridge's return rectifies that - but we've only scored more than twice at home on two separate occasions this season. We're 31 goals shy of our home tally from last campaign, and we're ten goals behind Man United/Southampton's goal difference.

Again, first half of the season problems. This system has solved all of that. We've got 19 in the last 10 games, 7 in our last three. And Sterling is nothing if not 'nippy, mobile and energetic', regardless of Sturridge. The word you're looking for is clinical but we have threats from all over the pitch now, and of course Sturridge is just getting back into his zone.

Leicester we scored two goals, it was defensive concentration issues, not lack of a goalscorer that cost us. And it's something of an anomaly for this formation.
Gerrard's departure will possibly unlock the ability for Liverpool to excel forward In the league. I believe it's possible for players like Gerrard, these dominant fan favourites, to have too much of an influence. The new & younger players will feel pressure to give Gerrard the ball when he shouts for it. Without him in the team I feel these players will be able to express themselves more freely & will begin to show the talent they showcased before arriving at Liverpool.
Try it against us this year. The difference between us this year and last year, is twofold.

Now when we attack walls, we have a) more penetrative and aggressive dribbling threats from all over the pitch, and b) far, far better long range shooting. What we've lost is Suarez's ingenuity and our set piece ability from last year, but if we took this team (assuming a more on form Sturridge, but even the Coutinho-Lallana-Sterling front three) into last year's Chelsea game, we'd win. We'd make the breakthrough at some point. We've already seen, in the first leg this year, how having that front three with Sterling dropping deep causes you immense problems. You didn't even have to face Ibe in that match.

Yeah Coutinho and Henderson have improved in that regard and you probably would have got a result against us with this formation. Our defence is a bit shaky this year in comparison though.

That front 3 and Sterling dropping deep again caused us problems but the real problem was Jose's tactics, you've said yourself that acceleration is better than pace when it comes to recovering the ball(hence why e.g. Barcelona were so good at this) so with Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Sterling on a midfield of Mikel/Fabregas/Matic there's going to be a mismatch, we have no means of countering with that Central combination and no means of recovering the ball either. I highly doubt Mourinho would use the same combination vs Pool, considering how Ramires helped us immensely in that second leg.

It hasn't come yet, but we're an on form striker away from mauling someone 6-0. Could be Burnley...

Yeah possibly. Lets wait and see. Sturridge should start vs Burnley though, although I have the feeling they'll try and play dirty.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Yeah Coutinho and Henderson have improved in that regard and you probably would have got a result against us with this formation. Our defence is a bit shaky this year in comparison though.

That front 3 and Sterling dropping deep again caused us problems but the real problem was Jose's tactics, you've said yourself that acceleration is better than pace when it comes to recovering the ball(hence why e.g. Barcelona were so good at this) so with Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Sterling on a midfield of Mikel/Fabregas/Matic there's going to be a mismatch, we have no means of countering with that Central combination and no means of recovering the ball either. I highly doubt Mourinho would use the same combination vs Pool, considering how Ramires helped us immensely in that second leg.

Yeah possibly. Lets wait and see.

It's not necessarily a case of recovering the ball and countering, although undoubtedly consistent pressure on you as a result of not being able to get the ball off us, would help. Its more a case of, you play with twin DMs, each of them will pick a man to occupy (in this case it was Coutinho and Gerrard), leaving Sterling ready to drop deep. If Cahill follows him he creates space for someone to run into (we played Gerrard, but ideally it is Lallana who would then run in there after escaping the attentions of his DM), but if Cahill doesn't follow Sterling, as he didn't, then Sterling can freely turn and run at you. And he's good enough to damage you, and he did.

Ramires would stretch us going the other away, attack is the best form of defence, push us back a little, yadda yadda but he'd probably not be as tight defensively.
Original post by TornadoGR4
Gerrard's departure will possibly unlock the ability for Liverpool to excel forward In the league. I believe it's possible for players like Gerrard, these dominant fan favourites, to have too much of an influence. The new & younger players will feel pressure to give Gerrard the ball when he shouts for it. Without him in the team I feel these players will be able to express themselves more freely & will begin to show the talent they showcased before arriving at Liverpool.

I think a bigger problem has been Rodgers being tied into finding a spot for Gerrard in the side when he's fit.

You look at other big players like Scholes, Giggs or other good players like Rosicky etc who get rotated in and out of the side, depending on fitness and opposition. Gerrard has regularly played.

He'll feature in the match against Man Utd when he probably shouldn't.
Reply 1199

that's a scary stat.

Original post by Mackay

true, however as many people have said and how you can clearly see, we're a second half of the season team who have made an immense turn-around.
although they were all bad points dropped, those were all in a terrible time for us - looking at us now i don't think you should be too worried about 1 win in 6 at home; only the leicester game has been in this half of the season anyway :smile:

Latest