The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We really can't afford to have Gerrard starting for nostalgic reasons, especially now since the race for 4th place is so intense. It makes no sense to play Gerrard to our detriment, the team is performing marvelously without Gerrard- when Gerrard hasn't started we have won 2.8 points per PL game compared to 1.4 points when he does start. Just goes to show we shouldn't upset the balance in the team and if he wants to get his name on the team sheet he'll need to work hard and perform well first.
Original post by The.Joker
We really can't afford to have Gerrard starting for nostalgic reasons, especially now since the race for 4th place is so intense. It makes no sense to play Gerrard to our detriment, the team is performing marvelously without Gerrard- when Gerrard hasn't started we have won 2.8 points per PL game compared to 1.4 points when he does start. Just goes to show we shouldn't upset the balance in the team and if he wants to get his name on the team sheet he'll need to work hard and perform well first.

Let Gerrard play, it's only fair in his final season.

In fact I think he should start all the remaining games. And he will absolutely HAVE to start the FA semi/final #nostalgia

:colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't have Lucas in this side at the minute, let alone Gerrard.
I'm surprised Sakho still gets in your team tbh. Rodgers usually likes players who are good on the ball/can pass well. Can is really good at that.
Original post by Depleted
I'm surprised Sakho still gets in your team tbh. Rodgers usually likes players who are good on the ball/can pass well. Can is really good at that.

That's exactly why he gets in the team along with Can. Thing with Sakho he looks dodgy on the ball but he can pull off some good passing and defensively is solid too. Easily will get in the team over Lovren, his injury is the only reason Lovren is playing otherwise a "Can Skirtle Sakho" has been our best back 3 although Lovren has done a decent job filling in.

But I imagine it will be a "Lovren/Another RCB Skirtle Sakho" partnership next season as the long term plan for Can is to be a CM which is what we essentially bought him for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Depleted

He's good at passing though, Sakho is very awkward but his passes usually reach his man, you sound like you don't watch Liverpool much.

His first season he does seem like the type of guy who would make the entire defence nervous though but they're used to him now. Sakho/Zouma combo when Chelsea buy him to replace Terry.
Original post by jam277
He's good at passing though, Sakho is very awkward but his passes usually reach his man, you sound like you don't watch Liverpool much.

His first season he does seem like the type of guy who would make the entire defence nervous though but they're used to him now. Sakho/Zouma combo when Chelsea buy him to replace Terry.

Original post by samir12
That's exactly why he gets in the team along with Can. Thing with Sakho he looks dodgy on the ball but he can pull off some good passing and defensively is solid too. Easily will get in the team over Lovren, his injury is the only reason Lovren is playing otherwise a "Can Skirtle Sakho" has been our best back 3 although Lovren has done a decent job filling in.

But I imagine it will be a "Lovren/Another RCB Skirtle Sakho" partnership next season as the long term plan for Can is to be a CM which is what we essentially bought him for.

Am sure he was trolling. I hope so anyway.
Tottenham smashing it - they've dealt with any potential Cup final hangover with two wins and six points. Fair play.
Original post by jam277
Henderson's record has been very good this season. Fwiw you should get Milner, just because Henderson will need a replacement if he is injured. Dunno if Milner would want to be rotated like that though, since he's leaving City for that exact reason. He'll probably play at RM/RWB, while Ibe and Markovic will rotate between playing in the front three.

Markovic fwiw just needs to improve his passing, while making runs behind the defence some more. Should take a leaf out of Sterling's book. Ibe you can see has a wow factor to his game, similar to Sterling when he first started playing, he's the type of guy who in a game can make a defender crap his pants and cause danger to the opposition.

We've better options than Milner at RWB, would only prefer it if we're playing away and we know we'll be under the cosh. There's not actually any/many non European games that I can think of where that'd be applicable... even this year we went and outplayed City for 45 mins before Lovren-Skrtel gave a glimpse of what was to come. The likes of Ibe and an improved Markovic next year would give us far more going forwards than Milner, which is what we really need off the flanks.

And in midfield, you'd expect we bring in a replacement midfielder for Gerrard. Which then leaves us with New CM, Henderson, Lucas, Allen, Can (who is vocal about getting a midfield berth) as our options, in order. And then Milner too, our sixth CM for two places. He's not getting many games. If we play away in Europe then I'd rather him than Allen, as part of a triangle with LL and JH at the tip, but there's not many other situations where I'd prefer him to any of our other players.

As mentioned, he'd just be an understudy like he is at City. I like him a lot as a player and he has great uses, I'm not convinced that he's better than what we have. What he does provide is steel, a winner's mentality and European experience - sorely needed after a number of our senior players will depart this summer. And he may just be a better attacking option than I'm giving him credit for. But at 80k a week for an understudy, it's a luxury that we can avoid I guess. Would I pay it given how much we need someone with his mental qualities and experience in the squad? Yes. Would the club pay it? I'm not convinced, unless he's our leading midfield recruit. Would Milner settle for being an understudy? I doubt it.
Can's abilities as a CB are rare and few players can give us what he does in that role. We've all seen how poor we are with our build up play when Lovren is on the ball - see Besiktas away or City first half. Can is more than adequate defensively and magnificent with bringing the ball out and starting attacks.

At CM, he doesn't have the refinement or agility to succeed properly yet. If he wants to be a CM, he can at some stage. Not just yet. We need him at CB for now.
Original post by All Day
We've better options than Milner at RWB, would only prefer it if we're playing away and we know we'll be under the cosh. There's not actually any/many non European games that I can think of where that'd be applicable... even this year we went and outplayed City for 45 mins before Lovren-Skrtel gave a glimpse of what was to come. The likes of Ibe and an improved Markovic next year would give us far more going forwards than Milner, which is what we really need off the flanks.

Yeah, I was saying more as a utility man at RWB.

And in midfield, you'd expect we bring in a replacement midfielder for Gerrard. Which then leaves us with New CM, Henderson, Lucas, Allen, Can (who is vocal about getting a midfield berth) as our options, in order. And then Milner too, our sixth CM for two places. He's not getting many games. If we play away in Europe then I'd rather him than Allen, as part of a triangle with LL and JH at the tip, but there's not many other situations where I'd prefer him to any of our other players.

Yeah that is true. Can could easily be a solution. I was more saying that Milner would be a good guy to have when Henderson is out, if he's out for some time you're going to have to rejig your system, but with a guy like Milner you can just put like for like.

As mentioned, he'd just be an understudy like he is at City. I like him a lot as a player and he has great uses, I'm not convinced that he's better than what we have. What he does provide is steel, a winner's mentality and European experience - sorely needed after a number of our senior players will depart this summer. And he may just be a better attacking option than I'm giving him credit for. But at 80k a week for an understudy, it's a luxury that we can avoid I guess. Would I pay it given how much we need someone with his mental qualities and experience in the squad? Yes. Would the club pay it? I'm not convinced, unless he's our leading midfield recruit. Would Milner settle for being an understudy? I doubt it.

I agree with this. If you can reduce the wages to about 60k then it's worth it. Reckon Milner will just go to a midtable team where he can get games and high wages. West Ham maybe?
Original post by Numan786
If Walcott was available in summer would you guys want him? I can see a great attack with him and Sturridge up top with sterling in behing or stering and coutinho.

I'd turn him down, just for his injury record in the last two seasons. Although if he was on a free, I'd take him and also bring in a young foreign attacking player like Vietto.

Walcott guarantees goals. 1 in 3 throughout the last 4-5 seasons. From a wide position in a less direct team that's magnificent. Playing in a direct team like ours, he'd thrive and prosper. I love him but I wouldn't want to pay big on given his injuries. £5-10m gamble max.

He wouldn't fit in wrt work rate or build up play either, so I doubt we'd move for him, as much as I like him.
Original post by jam277
Yeah, I was saying more as a utility man at RWB.

Yeah that is true. Can could easily be a solution. I was more saying that Milner would be a good guy to have when Henderson is out, if he's out for some time you're going to have to rejig your system, but with a guy like Milner you can just put like for like.

I agree with this. If you can reduce the wages to about 60k then it's worth it. Reckon Milner will just go to a midtable team where he can get games and high wages. West Ham maybe?

He has nous and for away days at Soton, Besiktas, West Ham, I'd like him there. But there wouldn't be enough games.

Luckily for us, I think we're less reliant on Henderson's work rate in this formation than before. We are bringing a new CM in hopefully and hopefully that player can have a great workrate too.

I'd honestly love him but it seems like he'd be too expensive. Unless he's the designated Gerrard replacement (in wages) in which case most of us will be fuming, although it's not the end of the world.
Original post by samba
All it needs is a Henderson injury and you're completely and utterly screwed. Coutinho/Sturridge/Sterling to a lesser extent, but you're literally so reliant on one player. If Henderson breaks a leg you can kiss any hope goodbye.

Well we've been without Sturridge for 90% of this season already and he's been a footnote in this great run of form, so that's wrong.

We're not actually that reliant on Henderson and his work rate anymore. It helps but we have an able deputy in Can, Allen is in the form of his life, and if teams start to try and target us through the centre, we can just ask Sterling to drop a little deeper (was playing LCM basically against Besiktas).

But more than just that, it's that this system just doesn't really require his work rate as much as we used to in other systems last year. Last year we had a freely scattered front three with Suarez is no designated position for a lot of games, and Henderson had to make up his ground... but Sterling is more tactically aware defensively, Lallana is very defensively aware.
This made me lol

LFC: Xabi, can you come down for a match?

Xabi: I can't, Bayern have a match

LFC: But It's for Stevie

Xabi:

[video="youtube;fbDSi4fN9QA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbDSi4fN9QA[/video]
Brendon: I don't intend to leave Liverpool for any club

lol as if Barcelona and Bayern Munich are desperate for his signature
Alonso's free-kick was lovely today. I miss that bearded genius.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
Brendon: I don't intend to leave Liverpool for any club

lol as if Barcelona and Bayern Munich are desperate for his signature

It was more in response to links to Man City, there are clubs other than Barcelona and Bayern Munich...
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't see Rodgers leaving for City at all.
He would struggle with City tbh, he needs his players to have high work rate which City don't have (apart from Milner) so would have to drill that into the players before he can get them playing his football.

Latest