The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samir12
Yh but my point was that Spurs haven't had to play without their best striker for half a season and put a 20 year old out of his natural position as a striker and yet only manage 4 more goals than Liverpool. That says a lot about how good Liverpools attack is despite not having a striker who can score which you stated as being the most important aspect of a good attack.

Imagine if we did have a fit and form Sturridge for the whole season... :frown:

True although he hasn't been particularly good since returning so in terms of the origin of this discussion - whether United will be playing against a better attack when we play Liverpool compared to when we played Spurs - him being back isn't a big factor.
Original post by difeo
True although he hasn't been particularly good since returning so in terms of the origin of this discussion - whether United will be playing against a better attack when we play Liverpool compared to when we played Spurs - him being back isn't a big factor.

Well he's been out for half a season so it's not a suprise he's not been good. You never know, he could come out guns blazing against United :colone:,

Besides, the game is at Anfield and its against United so all our players will be up for it (Liverpool players always turned up against Fergusons United at Anfield) unlike Spurs. Should be a close game though like the Arsenal vs United FA cup game.

Game might not even matter as much if Liverpool bottle against Swansea..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1782
Original post by The.Joker
Tomorrow's game is massive, we really need to win it to stay among the race for top 4. I hope Gerrard isn't redrafted into the team just because he's fit again, if he starts I doubt we'd win.

I watched the United game today and they played very, very well. Tbh Spurs were extra **** today, poor passes and no tactical awareness but credit to United they look like a new team. I don't see them playing this well at Anfield though, I can imagine Fellaini and Rooney (if he plays upfront) causing us problems so they'd have to be marked well.

Exactly what I said - forget United in a week; if we mess up Swansea it might not even matter...

The thing is that what the other team is as bad as Spurs, it helps you play too.
That's not saying United weren't excellent; it's just that I doubt they could play as well if we were pressing them all over the pitch for instance.

I agree though; I still maintain that sticking Fellaini up top would be the least creative but also most effective way of beating us - at this stage only points matter so if punting long balls to Fellaini works, you can't really blame them for it.
I'd feel much better if Sakho was playing next week; the rest of our defenders seem don't seem to be as dominant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Well he's been out for half a season so it's not a suprise he's not been good. You never know, he could come out guns blazing against United :colone:,

Besides, the game is at Anfield so all our players will be up for it unlike Spurs. Should be a close game though like the Arsenal vs United FA cup game.

Yeah tbf the possibility of him tearing Smalling and Jones apart a la Torres vs Vidic is always there :redface:
Original post by difeo
Yeah tbf the possibility of him tearing Smalling and Jones apart a la Torres vs Vidic is always there :redface:

Naa, BaloGOATelli to come on and run riot :colone:.
Original post by samir12
Naa, BaloGOATelli to come on and run riot :colone:.

Wouldnt be surprised if Balo has a say next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't like the idea of Rooney playing up front against us, they're so much better with him as opposed to Radamel.
To be honest, losing at Swansea, or even drawing isn't even that bad as Swansea have proved to be a quality team who are difficult to beat at the Liberty. For example drawing with Swansea and beating United is favourable. It just puts pressure on beating United you'd say.

United still need to show a similar guile over a run of games. Lest we forget, this was the team that in the week lost to Arsenal at home. It's going to be close regardless of tomorrows result.

If Liverpool win tomorrow they will get top 4 though I believe.
Reply 1788
Original post by Gob Bluth
To be honest, losing at Swansea, or even drawing isn't even that bad as Swansea have proved to be a quality team who are difficult to beat at the Liberty. For example drawing with Swansea and beating United is favourable. It just puts pressure on beating United you'd say.

United still need to show a similar guile over a run of games. Lest we forget, this was the team that in the week lost to Arsenal at home. It's going to be close regardless of tomorrows result.

I agree, however in the way of points I'm sure that many of us "expect" to be ahead of United in the table after the game at Anfield.

But I agree; winning at Anfield is essential.
If we draw or lose tomorrow, we're 4 or 5 points off the pace, respectively.
Therefore anything other than a win against United would make things look very grim indeed.

I know United have a tough set of fixtures coming up, but being a point ahead of them is much more preferable considering we don't know if today whether just a fluke that was catalysed by Spurs being garbage or not.
Original post by Gob Bluth

Yeah, apart from Arsenal and Chelsea, tomorrow is our toughest game. Winning tomorrow would be akin to our away win at Soton last year.
Reply 1790
Original post by All Day
Yeah, apart from Arsenal and Chelsea, tomorrow is our toughest game. Winning tomorrow would be akin to our away win at Soton last year.

haha, that burn. Ouch. Not bad at all :lol:
Original post by samba
haha, that burn. Ouch. Not bad at all :lol:

Tbf, generally playing away is tougher than playing at home, Uniteds dire away record yet a good home record highlights this.
Reply 1792
Original post by samir12
Tbf, generally playing away is tougher than playing at home, Uniteds dire away record yet a good home record highlights this.

True, but it still hurt! WBA away may be a tough game too, though they are already safe so should be ok.
Original post by samba
True, but it still hurt! WBA away may be a tough game too, though they are already safe so should be ok.

The same would have also applied to Swansea if Shelvey wasn't playing for them, I swear he almost always manages to solely influence our games....
Reply 1794
Original post by samir12
The same would have also applied to Swansea if Shelvey wasn't playing for them, I swear he almost always manages to solely influence our games....

That 2-2 was hilarious.

He scored and assisted for their goals, then gave the ball away twice for our goals. :biggrin:
Original post by All Day
I don't like the idea of Rooney playing up front against us, they're so much better with him as opposed to Radamel.

Rooney usually goes missing when we play Liverpool, especially at Anfield. I'm pretty sure he's never scored a goal there.
Original post by sr90
Rooney usually goes missing when we play Liverpool, especially at Anfield. I'm pretty sure he's never scored a goal there.

Well he did score that goal at OT and he wasn't upfront. Then again anyone could have scored against Liverpool with little effort at that time....
(edited 9 years ago)
If you drop points tomorrow and don't beat us then your season is over.
Reply 1798
Original post by KingStannis
If you drop points tomorrow and don't beat us then your season is over.

that's basically how i would put it.
a win tomorrow makes us 2 points behind coming in to the anfield game.
even drawing against you guys (although disappointing) wouldn't be the end of the world due to your fixture list.

however draw/lose tomorrow and we're 4/5 points behind - failing to narrow that gap the week after would more or less call it a day imo.
Origi has broken his duck. Finally.

Latest