The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Dont firms want to see that you are a well-rounded person?
Fair enough you have the grades and the extra-curricular stuff from uni, debating, moorting whatever...
But I think hobbies should be just that....

x
ellewoods
lol I haven't even started my tax prep for tomorrow yet, because I have yet to finish my PLR! Gutted :frown:

Well I was concerned that I was not contributing enough in the seminar so I vounteered to do a presentation and I did not want to show myself up infront of everyone. Its interesting now I am settling in, I am starting to see who the competitive people here are. I have a little thing going with 2 people from Merton and Univ. I am sure people from different colleges work harder and contribute in different ways. I am too lazy to be in their gang to be honest so they need not bother. It is true what people say on here about Oxford putting more emphasis on students reading the cases. I like reading them quick, then looking at the academic theory articles. I do think Oxford students know the graphic detail of the cases better to be honest.
BACK ON TOP.

Yes all firms say is well rounded. A well rounded person will deal with clients well.
LauraWalker
BACK ON TOP.

Yes all firms say is well rounded. A well rounded person will deal with clients well.

Not TOP, TOPIC- my edit button is not working and I know how meanies like my dense typos:biggrin:
Cy_1985
Dont firms want to see that you are a well-rounded person?
Fair enough you have the grades and the extra-curricular stuff from uni, debating, moorting whatever...
But I think hobbies should be just that....

x

I agree with you. If you take up a hobby just to look impressive on an application form, it's unlikely you'll enjoy it or be able to talk about it very enthusiastically if asked at interview.
Unless u take the acting class :smile:
Exactly, most ppl have been doing what they like for a great number of years. Except for me, I ditched swimming at 16 (competitively anyway, got to the stage where I needed to train every god damn day to get any better, you sorta know when it's time to stop thinking ur gonna make the top anyway), admittedly I still play tennis and cricket but I used to be far better. Only thing I really kept doing is piano... I hated that when I was doing grades, but now I love being able to sit down and play whatever I want and caneasily spend 1-2hrs a day doing it ... piano is top of my list for things for my first own place :biggrin:.
Gosh look at the time poor old Laura and Lewis are having trouble sleeping. I like my sleep, I've picked up an awful cold and I just cough until I have to sit up when I try and sleep. Trust Oxford and the new germs I am not immune to yet. :wink:

Exactly, in my first year at Hull I got a local students living allowance for being an all-rounded person who could bring hope to the Community by visiting chav schools (I never went in the end because I took a gap year). To get it you had to write down hobbies, so I just wrote things I had done in my life and picked up a reasonable level of competence in. It nearly back fired when they said I'd be too busy to visit the schools with all that list of activities. Like now I do

ShowJumping (at home with my horse-not at Oxford)
Ice Hockey (at Oxford whether good or bad)
Taekwondo (not in term time)
Judo (its just an hour beginners self-defence class every friday night.)
College Hockey (it involves 3 matches a year and no practices.)

It looks like I do loads but I never do them at the same time or very a very long period. But if you write them all down without detail u'd think she is very busy all the time.
Woah... I slept for 12 hours last night, I was in bed at 9pm! I was dead on my feet.
Woah, I think this is developing into flu :frown: I slept this morning when the coughing stopped. Shame I don't know anyone well enough really to force them to go and get some cough sweets and cough mixture LOL x
LauraWalker
Unless u take the acting class :smile:

True!

Hope you feel better soon. :smile:
I don't think it is so much important what you do, but how you can show that it makes you a well rounded person and a desirable employee e.g. commitment, initiative, responsibility, time management, team work.

This year my ECs are:
Mentoring youngsters in Rotherham
Tutoring Y6s in literacy
Spanish tandem for second year
Debating (love it!)

I also have a couple of slightly unusual hobbies I can talk about.
Whats a spanish tandem?

Also, you seem to be another person who only talks about your god damn "academic" ECs if you don[t mind me calling them that! Let your hair down, show them another side to you.
dragon_1706
True!

Hope you feel better soon. :smile:

Thanks, I've lost my voice completely. It is actually quite embarrassing. :rolleyes: I just croaked nothing at someone coming in from a nightclub who gave me a friendly hello. I don't think I can remember having such a bad throat ever before.:frown: Talking of hobbies I did miss the Judo self-defence class tonight :smile: and therefore my new suit

Latest

Trending

Trending