The Student Room Group

LNAT?

So I'm a law applicant noob who knows nothing about the LNAT, can someone shed some light on it for me?
Original post by LNATGainz
So I'm a law applicant noob who knows nothing about the LNAT, can someone shed some light on it for me?

It's a test required by Oxford/Most Russell Group universities. It has two parts:
-A comprehension part which gives you texts to read and multiple choice answers (there are 42 marks available, and the average mark tends to be around 50%),
-A short essay to write in 40 minutes of around 500-600 words in length (this is not marked, but is sent off to the universities applied to which require the LNAT).

The whole test takes place on a computer, often at the centres which offer the driving theory test.

There are some good books on preparing for LNAT. I would recommend the Mark Shepherd book. Overall, it's not too onerous a test. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Edd Rochford
It's a test required by Oxford/Most Russell Group universities. It has two parts:
-A comprehension part which gives you texts to read and multiple choice answers (there are 42 marks available, and the average mark tends to be around 50%),
-A short essay to write in 40 minutes of around 500-600 words in length (this is not marked, but is sent off to the universities applied to which require the LNAT).

The whole test takes place on a computer, often at the centres which offer the driving theory test.

There are some good books on preparing for LNAT. I would recommend the Mark Shepherd book. Overall, it's not too onerous a test. :smile:

First of all thank you for the reply. To sum up my predicament, I'm a foundation year science degree student who decided he wants to do Law :laugh: Now my A-Levels are pretty **** which was a stumbling block and they were all science subjects anyway, so I'm applying with my foundation year. The following Uni's said they would consider me (Note: they don't require LNAT)

Manchester
Liverpool
Leeds
York
Birmingham
Leicester
Reading

Now the LNAT part comes. I enquired to SOAS, and they sent me this:

"you have previously had such a strong science focus and your A levels are low compared to our entry requirements for Law, it is unlikely the department would be able to make you an offer.

Having said this, if you pass your foundation degree with a 2:1 overall, have a very strong reference and personal statement and sit the LNAT (National Admissions Test for Law)before you apply and score highly, your chances would be better, although there are still no guarantees. You would need to apply through UCAS and any decision on whether or not to make you an offer would be based on your whole application and made at the discretion of the department..

So they are the only university who require me to sit LNAT. At this point you would probably say that this is the uni to avoid right? The thing that's drawing me in is the fact that SOAS want a 2:1 mark, whereas all the other Universities want around 70%. From results so far I should be able to attain that, but the "promise" of a lower grade requirement at a high ranked uni draws me in.

So my question is, and I don't expect a definitive answer from you of course, judging from the transcript above, would you say they are basically saying **** off we won't accept you unless you're superhuman, or do you reckon there is a chance? As this is the only uni wanting LNAT, I could be wasting £50, getting an average score and then not applying anyway. Or is it worth a punt because I will 99.9% get 60%+ like they ask, but it's not cast iron I'll get 70%? I don't want to continue into my fairly pointless degree, so I really need to transfer. Is it worth it?
First of all thank you for the reply. To sum up my predicament, I'm a foundation year science degree student who decided he wants to do Law :laugh: Now my A-Levels are pretty **** which was a stumbling block and they were all science subjects anyway, so I'm applying with my foundation year. The following Uni's said they would consider me (Note: they don't require LNAT)

Manchester
Liverpool
Leeds
York
Birmingham
Leicester
Reading

"you have previously had such a strong science focus and your A levels are low compared to our entry requirements for Law, it is unlikely the department would be able to make you an offer.

Having said this, if you pass your foundation degree with a 2:1 overall, have a very strong reference and personal statement and sit the LNAT (National Admissions Test for Law)before you apply and score highly, your chances would be better, although there are still no guarantees. You would need to apply through UCAS and any decision on whether or not to make you an offer would be based on your whole application and made at the discretion of the department..

So they are the only university who require me to sit LNAT. At this point you would probably say that this is the uni to avoid right? The thing that's drawing me in is the fact that SOAS want a 2:1 mark, whereas all the other Universities want around 70%. From results so far I should be able to attain that, but the "promise" of a lower grade requirement at a high ranked uni draws me in.

So my question is, and I don't expect a definitive answer from you of course, judging from the transcript above, would you say they are basically saying **** off we won't accept you unless you're superhuman, or do you reckon there is a chance? As this is the only uni wanting LNAT, I could be wasting £50, getting an average score and then not applying anyway. Or is it worth a punt because I will 99.9% get 60%+ like they ask, but it's not cast iron I'll get 70%? I don't want to continue into my fairly pointless degree, so I really need to transfer. Is it worth it?

As a prospective law student who has sat the LNAT I would suggest going for it. Although there are no guarantees on anything, including your passing the LNAT or the school accepting you even if you do there is a 0% chance of getting in if you don't do the exam.
It's quite a basic test of comprehensive and interpretive skills which are all necessary when pursuing an education in law. So, generally speaking you could learn a thing or two from it. I certainly did.
I don't know much about the inner working of university admissions, but if you're A-Levels aren't up to entry requirement and the school is giving you an alternative means of entry you should at least try, right?
Best of luck.
Reply 4
Original post by JAndrade1
As a prospective law student who has sat the LNAT I would suggest going for it. Although there are no guarantees on anything, including your passing the LNAT or the school accepting you even if you do there is a 0% chance of getting in if you don't do the exam.
It's quite a basic test of comprehensive and interpretive skills which are all necessary when pursuing an education in law. So, generally speaking you could learn a thing or two from it. I certainly did.
I don't know much about the inner working of university admissions, but if you're A-Levels aren't up to entry requirement and the school is giving you an alternative means of entry you should at least try, right?
Best of luck.

Thanks for taking the time for replying.

Yeah my A levels ain't the best but my grades wrt subjects possessing skills needed in law are quite good (A* at A2 Eng Lit, A*'s in all essay based GCSE's etc.) so I guess I have a little to back me up.

Just considering whether it's worth it, as there are more than 5 Unis which don't require LNAT so technically I don't have to do it, and the fact that SOAS said it's unlikely makes me a little nervous. Just its reputability and the fact they want 10% lower at 60% which is much easier to maintain. I guess I have to weigh up the options. If you don't mind me asking have you applied now, what did you get in the LNAT and where did you apply to?
Yeah, I've applied for September 2015 and got offers from Brunel, Surrey and Manchester so far. Waiting to hear from Leeds and Bristol. I took the LNAT not long ago, but I actually haven't gotten my results yet. Kinda just hoping for the best cause I bull****ted
Reply 6
Original post by JAndrade1
Yeah, I've applied for September 2015 and got offers from Brunel, Surrey and Manchester so far. Waiting to hear from Leeds and Bristol. I took the LNAT not long ago, but I actually haven't gotten my results yet. Kinda just hoping for the best cause I bull****ted

Congrats on your offer, especially the Manchester one that's impressive as ****. Fair enough, I'm sure you've done well and even if not you've got your offers so it's no worries. I've done a lot of verbal reasoning stuff and online assessments tbf, if it's similar to that it should be fine. Good luck with your remaining 2 and who knows, we may see each other next year at Uni...
Congrats on your offer, especially the Manchester one that's impressive as ****. Fair enough, I'm sure you've done well and even if not you've got your offers so it's no worries. I've done a lot of verbal reasoning stuff and online assessments tbf, if it's similar to that it should be fine. Good luck with your remaining 2 and who knows, we may see each other next year at Uni...

Thanks, it's great to get that validation. I'm sure whatever you decide will get you on the path you need to be on. I'm actually SUPER nervous for university because I'm international. I would almost die from joy if I could actually have a friend at uni before I even get there. Just keep thinking positively and good luck.

Manchester
Liverpool
Leeds
York
Birmingham
Leicester
Reading

Hello. So I can't really be of much hep to your thread, but I'm in need of some help myself. Do they disadvantage students who have a strong previous science focus? I'm really worried about that. I have Phys, Chem, Bio, and Maths at A-levels. But I have a lot of extra curriculars on essay writing (essay competitions, newspaper articles etc.) Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks mate! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by TheMadHatteress
Hello. So I can't really be of much hep to your thread, but I'm in need of some help myself. Do they disadvantage students who have a strong previous science focus? I'm really worried about that. I have Phys, Chem, Bio, and Maths at A-levels. But I have a lot of extra curriculars on essay writing (essay competitions, newspaper articles etc.) Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks mate! :biggrin:

As long as you meet the entry requirements it should be fine I guess. I think a lot of it will come down to your personal statement, same as mine, as they'll be looking for how we justify doing those subjects and what skills it has taught us to transfer it to law.
As long as you meet the entry requirements it should be fine I guess. I think a lot of it will come down to your personal statement, same as mine, as they'll be looking for how we justify doing those subjects and what skills it has taught us to transfer it to law.

Thank you so much and I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help to you haha 😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending