The Student Room Group

Handling rejection

Any tips on handling rejection from your first choice uni? Or how did you handle it if you didn't get into your firm on results day? Just going through a similar situation and thought this thread may be helpful for others too.
Original post by misteltain
Any tips on handling rejection from your first choice uni? Or how did you handle it if you didn't get into your firm on results day? Just going through a similar situation and thought this thread may be helpful for others too.

I didn't get into my firm or insurance on results day in year 13. At first I'll admit I cried but then realised I could retake my A-Levels and reapply and maybe a gap year wasn't such a bad thing. The majority of unis for the majority of courses couldn't care less if you retook, including Russell Group unis. I also look at the positives of what had originally been my 3rd choice uni because the entry requirements were more realistic- good thing cos its where I ended up.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
I didn't get into my firm or insurance on results day in year 13. At first I'll admit I cried but then realised I could retake my A-Levels and reapply and maybe a gap year wasn't such a bad thing. The majority of unis for the majority of courses couldn't care less if you retook, including Russell Group unis. I also look at the positives of what had originally been my 3rd choice uni because the entry requirements were more realistic- good thing cos its where I ended up.

That's great to hear. Are you enjoying it there? I actually failed to get into uni last year so I retook specifically for the uni that rejected me this time haha. Bit gutted so I'm just asking about everyone else's (hopefully) positive experiences. Thanks for the reply!
Original post by misteltain
That's great to hear. Are you enjoying it there? I actually failed to get into uni last year so I retook specifically for the uni that rejected me this time haha. Bit gutted so I'm just asking about everyone else's (hopefully) positive experiences. Thanks for the reply!

What subject was this? And yes on the whole I have enjoyed it here.
I got a job in June (because i knew i wouldn't get into my firm and didn't love my insurance enough) and in July i decided that i was taking a gap year either way and basically i was right and they rejected me...Because i accepted what was going to happen so soon it was much easier to deal with.

Funnily enough they made a error when i first applied last year and rejected me before i took my exams and boy did i cry...walking in the rain and everything lol :rolleyes: of course they fixed it when i rang them but still...It was hard and confusing.

I think the best way to deal with rejection is to understand that a gap year isn't the end of the world and can actually be good for you. It's given me a lot of perspective and I've learnt how to handle my money much better (a lesson i'd prefer to learn before i get student loans)

Long story short, they've given me a unconditional now and i firmed them a few days ago :biggrin:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending