The Student Room Group

Medicine and dentistry clearing

If I see options for med or dentistry in clearing can I keep my firm choice and call the uni with the free courses and ask them if they'll take me and if they say yes then reject my firm offer as I do not want to take a second gap year and do not want to lose my firm if it means i don't get into med or dentistry?
You can always call in clearing to see if they have options, but to submit the clearing application you will need to self-release into clearing, thus losing all your currently held offer.

That said, I don't think dentistry has ever been in clearing as dental schools normally operate wait lists in that situation instead. Medicine courses are occasionally in clearing for a handful of places.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
You can always call in clearing to see if they have options, but to submit the clearing application you will need to self-release into clearing, thus losing all your currently held offer.

That said, I don't think dentistry has ever been in clearing as dental schools normally operate wait lists in that situation instead. Medicine courses are occasionally in clearing for a handful of places.

so if a uni has an option for medicine in clearing and I call up do they handle it all or do I have to enter clearing myself? And if I enter clearing what do I do to get that course do I just call them and give them my clearing number and say I want the course if its available? is it first come first served or are we ranked for it?
Original post by Rohan007best
so if a uni has an option for medicine in clearing and I call up do they handle it all or do I have to enter clearing myself? And if I enter clearing what do I do to get that course do I just call them and give them my clearing number and say I want the course if its available? is it first come first served or are we ranked for it?

You can call them to ask about the offering and see if they give you a verbal offer. You will still need to enter clearing to accept the offer by going into UCAS after declining all your offers and adding the new offer.

Clearing in general is first come first served, although I don't know if medicine works out differently.

Quick Reply

Latest