The Student Room Group

Should i be worried about Sleep paralysis ?

Scroll to see replies

Oh my god, this sounds so scary. Its the first time I'm reading about it. I never knew this was possible.

I'm such a coward, so if this happens to me, I dont know what im going to do. Bit scared to sleep now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Isis_on_the_cake
Is there anyway I can make it happen to me?

Google images > "sleep paralysis".

Why would you want to induce it? O____O
Reply 22
Original post by Vixen47
I experienced it yesterday for the first time in my life. It was ****ing terrifying, I almost started crying when I woke up. :K:

I wouldn't be worried unless it's seriously affecting you on a psychological level. If it is worrying you then go to your GP and talk medication? I don't think there's anything specifically made for this but I'm sure medication for other things can be used for it. Otherwise you might be able to control it through lucid dreaming? What I experienced yesterday felt like a lucid dream, I don't know how but I managed to make myself stop the paralysis. Some people who frequently have sleep paralysis say that they learned to move their extremities in the dream so that they could wake up. When I was paralysed yesterday I managed snap myself out of it by getting myself to move my head a little.

Yeah i always try with the head because i know the rest of my body is completely ****ed.

I think sometimes you can break free from it but you have to try and wake up at the right time :s-smilie:
I've had it a couple of times. That sh*t is scary! :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by -Rainbow Drops-
Oh my god, this sounds so scary. Its the first time I'm reading about it. I never knew this was possible.

I'm such a coward, so if this happens to me, I dont know what im going to do. Bit scared to sleep now

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really like quick sand, if you struggle to free yourself it gets worse but if you naturally just let it happen it still feels horrible but not as horrible from trying to fight it.
Sleep paralysis does not cause any harm. I used to have it once or twice a year, even less than that. However, it seems that you are getting it more frequent which can possibly be a sign of narcolepsy so you ought to see your doctor about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Spiritual attack tings, deliverance is needed.
Reply 27
Original post by MissLalaxx
Spiritual attack tings, deliverance is needed.

:confused::confused::confused:
I had it once xD its pretty weird and only lasts for like 10 seconds. You wake up, and you literally can't move anything... Even when you try and shout, its only a whisper so no one can hear you... Eventually though it clicks and you can move like normal
I would see a doctor for relaxation techniques if this is a frequent night-time occurrence.
I think I had it once a few years ago but it only partially activated so to speak. I felt extremely weak and couldn't even sleep. It was the worst ever night of my life trying to get to sleep. It only happened once and thank goodness it never returned
Reply 31
Original post by marco14196
I think I had it once a few years ago but it only partially activated so to speak. I felt extremely weak and couldn't even sleep. It was the worst ever night of my life trying to get to sleep. It only happened once and thank goodness it never returned

I wish mines would just go away :frown:
SLEEP ON YOUR SIDE.

I kept getting sleep paralysis when I used to sleep on my back. It is most likely going to happen if you sleep on your back. It can still happen on your side, the effects are just no where near as terrifying.

I have only had it once or twice since changing sleeping positions.

I hallucinate when I do have it. So I have been attacked by terrible things. I can feel them touching me but can't move to get away. It's horrifying.
I have been attacked by a skull, a translucent man, square with a face, dragon and wolves.
Original post by -Rainbow Drops-

Posted from TSR Mobile

:colone: you're so fu*****, it happens to everyone who thinks about it....

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Never experienced this, sounds quite scary not gonna lie.

Closest I've got is putting my arm in a raised-elbow position in my sleep, then waking up and it's completely drained of blood and numb. Serious dead-arm, like I've got a long slab of meat hanging off my shoulder just flopping about when I try and move it. Rather funny experience.
Reply 35
Sleeping on your back has been found to be a trigger. It's best to sleep on your side and see if that makes a difference.

It's not a big deal but if it's bothering you, go to your GP. My sister has it a few times a year and the last time she told me she was completely frozen and panicked because she could see a dark, cloaked figure in the corner of the room *she felt it's overwhelming presence too* and it walked towards her but she couldn't scream. Next thing she knew it was morning but she claims this thing was moving around the room and gradually getting closer and closer to her. Weird.
Original post by goobypls
I'm getting it like 2 or 3 times a week now on a monthly basis or even for consecutive weeks. When i was younger i used to get it like once a year which wasn't that bad.

Should i be worried at all or is this quite common sleeping phenomena ? Also i think the duration of the paralysis is lasting for a bit longer now :confused:

Do you lie on your back in bed?
(just realised most other people have said this too, but it worked for me, used to get it very often, haven't slept on my back in a good few years now, has never happened again! Also helps with hypnic jerks if you get those too!) :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Brandon_97
Do you lie on your back in bed?
(just realised most other people have said this too, but it worked for me, used to get it very often, haven't slept on my back in a good few years now, has never happened again! Also helps with hypnic jerks if you get those too!) :smile:

I stopped sleeping on my back and now sleep on my sides but it seems that there hasn't been much of a difference.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Google images > "sleep paralysis".

Why would you want to induce it? O____O

The adrenalin rush that you get when you're scared is fantastic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WoodyMKC
Never experienced this, sounds quite scary not gonna lie.

Closest I've got is putting my arm in a raised-elbow position in my sleep, then waking up and it's completely drained of blood and numb. Serious dead-arm, like I've got a long slab of meat hanging off my shoulder just flopping about when I try and move it. Rather funny experience.

The other week my phone ringing woke me up and I'd been sleeping on both arms so they were completely useless just flopping about when I tried to answer the phone. :mmm:

And yeah people who haven't had sleep paralysis don't know how lucky they are. I don't have my eyes open each time I've had it so it always feels like I'm lying in a hospital bed after some accident unable to move or let anyone know I'm aware. It is TERRIFYING. I told my psychiatrist about it (I think it might be a reaction to a newish medication I'm on) but she'd never even heard of it. WTF?

Quick Reply

Latest