The Student Room Group

Cambridge English Admissions Test

It's tomorrow! Any advice?? Should I plan on paper? I understand there's no question but there is a theme - is that theme meant to be the basis of my answer? I feel like when I do just analysis of a text with no context or critics I just get too 'this means this this means this' and miss out on the 'this as a whole means this'. Just a little nervous any advice will do..
Firstly, good luck :smile:

Most important thing to do is get a good night sleep. The night before the exam (physics), I went for a run and cleared my head, ran a bath, had a good read, and went to bed early. In the past I was often really stressed out by exams, finding myself still awake at 4am trying not to worry about how little sleep I was getting. However, for the entrance exam and my a levels I was fast asleep by 11:00. Truth is, there is no magic process to stop worrying about what might happen, you just have to feel ready.

General Advice: Keep calm, and do the best you can. The first 30secs your hand might be a little shaky, but you get swept up into what you are doing. The hours go by fast. After the exam, don't worry about what other people did during the exam. For my subject, people who finished often didn't get interviewed.

Lastly, whatever you do, do not take anything personally. I have amazing friends that were not interviewed, people with 4A*s, some of whom were lucky enough to get a scholarship to Columbia. You have to remember, its not that they don't want you or don't think you'll succeed, it's that they are full to capacity. 1 question isn't enough for them to necessarily see your talent.

Best of luck, Tom
Reply 2
Original post by Masnoon A
It's tomorrow! Any advice?? Should I plan on paper? I understand there's no question but there is a theme - is that theme meant to be the basis of my answer? I feel like when I do just analysis of a text with no context or critics I just get too 'this means this this means this' and miss out on the 'this as a whole means this'. Just a little nervous any advice will do..

Hey! I'm also doing the ELAT tomorrow - I would def recommend planning on paper, or printing the paper off if you can. have you done a practice paper before?
yes, the theme = the basis of your answer. say it's "dance" (a previous theme) - talk about how people have described it... metaphorically/literally etc. do they have experience? are they currently dancing? is it in a good/bad light and so forth. with the analysis, it's ok to pick things out and say "this means...", but focus more on "this is mirrored in the other passage, where x is..."
hope that helped?
Reply 3
Original post by sexml13
Hey! I'm also doing the ELAT tomorrow - I would def recommend planning on paper, or printing the paper off if you can. have you done a practice paper before?
yes, the theme = the basis of your answer. say it's "dance" (a previous theme) - talk about how people have described it... metaphorically/literally etc. do they have experience? are they currently dancing? is it in a good/bad light and so forth. with the analysis, it's ok to pick things out and say "this means...", but focus more on "this is mirrored in the other passage, where x is..."
hope that helped?

it did thank you ❤️ !! definitely printing
Reply 4
it's essentially the same format as the oxford ELAT so if you go on the oxford website there's example essays that should also apply to CELAT.

i'm also sitting it tomorrow! good luck everyone <333
Reply 5
Original post by halesjs
it's essentially the same format as the oxford ELAT so if you go on the oxford website there's example essays that should also apply to CELAT.

what college?
Original post by halesjs

Ahhhh me too, good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending