The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Funding and extra money at University

If you're worried about costs at university-perhaps your loan won't cover everything, then join this thread for information on how to get extra funding and money.
I'd like to know how I can get extra funding for uni. I applied to study chemistry at Reading, it's the furthest uni from home and I live in London. I can do a 2.5 hour commute, it's not a problem of time, but what is a problem is cost. What would be easier, to live on campus in Reading or to commute almost daily? This is just based on costs alone.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Hello!

Based on costs alone it would be cheaper to commute to Reading. However, if you apply for a student loan, Student Finance will calculate the loan given to you by the costs of Reading and your household income. This should hopefully contribute quite a lot to your expenses, including rent. You can definitely budget your living expenses quite well. If you do decide to live on campus, there are many work opportunities at the university to gain some extra cash. It would be very convenient and you will be able to enhance your cv easily. You'll also be able to fit in more time for any societies or clubs that you may want to join, or just more social time in general.

There are students that do commute from London and as long as you can bear doing the journey on a frequent basis then it should be fine. You'll save money on food and rent! Timetables are different for everyone so there may be days you have off or some days where you will only have one lecture or seminar, jam packed days or having lectures very early and a lot later with a big break in between. This is also something to take into consideration.

There are many bursaries and scholarships that you may be eligible for. Some bursaries are means tested, some according to subject and others according to ability. Check this website for the full list of undergraduate scholarships and bursaries. http://www.reading.ac.uk/life/life-fundingsearch.aspx?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.reading.ac.uk%2fstudentfinance%2fsearch%2fsearchresults.asp

Perhaps you can find out how much student finance you are eligible for and weigh up the pros and cons of living at home during university and living in halls. It may be that you decide to do both after trying one out!

For any more questions or even information about jobs on campus, just ask!
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending