The Student Room Group

Universal Credit and self funding uni!

Hi. So I'm in abit of a dilemma. I've had the dreaded letter to say I have to switch from Tax Credits to Universal Credit. Tax Credits don't look at student income but Universal Credit does.
However, I'm a self funding student so use my maintenance loan to pay my tuition fees.
Does anyone know how Universal Credit take this into account? Do they disregard the amount I pay for tuition fees or do they take the whole maintenance loan into account?
Depending on how they do it I may have to quit uni as there's no way I can afford to lose £1000 a month! Thanks!
Original post by Michel69
Hi. So I'm in abit of a dilemma. I've had the dreaded letter to say I have to switch from Tax Credits to Universal Credit. Tax Credits don't look at student income but Universal Credit does.
However, I'm a self funding student so use my maintenance loan to pay my tuition fees.
Does anyone know how Universal Credit take this into account? Do they disregard the amount I pay for tuition fees or do they take the whole maintenance loan into account?
Depending on how they do it I may have to quit uni as there's no way I can afford to lose £1000 a month! Thanks!

The following website offers some advice for students regarding entitlement:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situation/Studying-age-16

You might also be eligible for a scholarship or help from a hardship fund at your uni:

https://www.gov.uk/extra-money-pay-u...hardship-funds

Could you also apply for a tuition fee loan?
Reply 2
Hi. I’ve had student loans before when I was studying nursing so that has wiped out my 4 years allowance for the tuition fee loan. However, if I was wanting to do it the other way round and go from science to nursing I’d be eligible for the tuition fee loan. It’s just the way it works unfortunately. Thanks for your help.
Reply 3
Original post by Michel69

Hi love..I’m in the same position as you..did you get any information?..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending