The Student Room Group

in your opinion , what is the toughest A level?

Scroll to see replies

Physics
Reply 61
Chemistry
Maths
Economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Student 977
German is really tough in my opinion!

I'm taking that for AS next year! I'm really excited :colondollar: Are there any 'heads ups' that I should be aware of? :smile:
Travel and Tourism, Fashion, Photography - People think Further Maths is hard, wait until they come across these beasts.
Psychology is a hard nut to crack..
Anything that has numbers.
I couldn't cope with GCSE Physics, so I don't even want to think about what A-level is like :O also maths, chemistry, biology and basically anything that involves numbers or a complex knowledge of the world.

Hardest to easiest of my A-levels would probably look something like this -

1. English Literature
2. German
3. French
Original post by stirkee
So do you believe that more people find further maths easy than geography?

I didn't interpret the question to mean 'what is YOUR hardest A level', I interpreted it to mean 'what do you think is THE hardest A level full stop'.

Just because some people take geography and think its hard does not mean that geography is the hardest A level, surely? Of course, for some people, geography IS the hardest; but that doesn't mean that it is the toughest A level overall?

Sure, but no one has done EVERY A Level ever and would therefore resort to saying which was toughest for them

It's probaby safe to assume that if one does both further maths and geography, they would probably find further maths harder - but this can't be the same for everyone and how would one know unless they've done both?

OP made it seem like there is one A Level that can objectively be seen as the hardest, but I personally don't agree with that. OP may for example find English lit to be tough and further maths to be easy
Question: How difficult is English Language? I went to CIE result stats of 2014 may/june series and it said only 1.1% of all students giving the exam got an A* as compared to Bio, Phy, Chem, Maths (not further) where it's within the range of 9%-13%
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Toughest A level is joint between Physics & Additional further maths. Further maths is arguably only "hard" if you do the mechanics modules whereas if you were to study statistics it is largely more straightforward and easier to comprehend.

So it depends on what you do. ^

Although, I do agree "difficulty" is largely subjective.

Hm...yes, it's subjective, but the Mechanics modules were easy. I did Further Maths at AS, and of that, my only respectible module was the mechanics module. I did Maths, Physics and History to A2, and mechanics came easily because of Physics. We did decision mathematics in Maths, and my teacher thought it would be a good fit for me, but I just kept running out of time to apply it... :frown:

In short, my mechanics module were swapped with decision 1, I got a E in Further maths. But I worked hard, and got my Maths and and History scores to a B. I understood Physics and it was fun, but the multiple choice paper, and the ISAs got me. :mad:

Physics was the toughest A-level I did. History came naturally, but I can see why people can think that it is a tough A-Level.
(edited 9 years ago)
Whatever you are bad at. For me, it would probably be chemistry or biology as the last time I did any work in science subjects would probably have been year 6.
Serious question, people purportedly learn how to speak languages using Rosetta Stone and the like, so how can a language a-level be as hard as people here are reporting? I'm not suggesting anyone is lying but for that reason and because young children are capable of learning their mother tongue, I don't understand what makes the a-level hard.
French is one of the hardest to get an A* in- only 6.4% got an A* last year whilst over 10% of maths candidates got A* (from the guardian newspaper) :smile:
Anything with essay questions or long answer questions. My brain can't do them. I never write enough fast enough or I write about the wrong things. I did an English exam for GCSE where I don't think I even got half way through because I couldn't work fast enough.

I actually think Chemistry is the most straightforward science. There was only one concept I didn't understand in the whole OCR course - free radical substitution - and that was because I never bothered to learn it. In Biology there are many more questions where you can end up talking about the wrong thing. Giving answers that are entirely correct but not what they're looking for. Physics has harder concepts to comprehend than chemistry.
Reply 74
I find Art and Biology more harder than Maths and Further Maths
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Serious question, people purportedly learn how to speak languages using Rosetta Stone and the like, so how can a language a-level be as hard as people here are reporting? I'm not suggesting anyone is lying but for that reason and because young children are capable of learning their mother tongue, I don't understand what makes the a-level hard.

Children who learn their mother tongue from their parents don't have to put in effort to learn the language - they just pick it up. Doing a language at A-level means that you aren't exposed it that often and you have to do a lot of work for it yourself. Not only do you have to speak it, you have to learn to read and write it as well. Sooo personally I find AS French hard.
Maths and Physics. :bawling:
English but it is completely subjective.
Original post by jammy4041
Physics was the toughest A-level I did. History came naturally, but I can see why people can think that it is a tough A-Level.

I'm currently doing Maths, Physics & History at A2.

I find Maths interesting and Physics exciting although the concepts are challenging to understand. Personally, I find History at AS easy but at A2 hard partly because I hate swapping from 2 subjects that are heavily maths orientated to an essay based subject.

If you do Physics alongside the mechanics modules in Maths then yes it will be a helpful asset. However, mechanics modules still take the most amount of time to understand than statistics and decision maths as you have to model the scenario(abstract maths) whereas stats is just remember the formula and plug the numbers in.

I haven't studied decision maths but can't comment on it. However, the people I've spoke to say its dull and boring.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nobody can give an accurate response to this question since most only do three A2s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest