The Student Room Group
Reply 1
General studies is a subject that tests your english, math, and science skills. You can't study for those exams. English and Science papers, they give you a passage and you answer questions. Math, they give you questions at math GCSE and A-level types of questions. You don't learn anything. In my school, we just did mock papers and talk about what is happening in the world/current events and all those kinds of stuff.
shushimeng
What is general studies?? and what do u learn in that subject? does everyone have to take it? is that a alevel? do u do exams on that?

so many question i'd be glad if anyone can help me...:wink:

General Studies is a subject which requires little or no real learning, its like general knowledge. You might have to take it, it depends on your school. You do have exams in it. In fact, i have an exam this monday. Oh fun.
Reply 3
trev1122
General studies is a subject that tests your english, math, and science skills. You can't study for those exams. English and Science papers, they give you a passage and you answer questions. Math, they give you questions at math GCSE and A-level types of questions. You don't learn anything. In my school, we just did mock papers and talk about what is happening in the world/current events and all those kinds of stuff.

so does that mean i don't need to perpare for anything but the exam is just like a test of general knowladge? something like an IQ test??
Specification Content
The specifications address the following areas:
The Scientific Domain: Science, Mathematics and Technology
The Cultural Domain: Culture, Morality, Arts and Humanities
The Social Domain: Society, Politics and the Economy
The six Key Skills of Communication; Application of Number; Information Technology; Working with Others;
Improving own Learning and Performance; Problem Solving
Thinking and analytical skills.

Question Paper Requirements

AS

Question papers for each of the Units 2961, 2962 and 2964 have two sections. Section A provides resource
material focused on the relevant subject domain on which candidates answer a series of short, structuredquestions. In Section B of each question paper, candidates are required to write at greater length on one of three
topics.

A2

Unit 2965 is an examination paper structured in two sections. Questions in Section A are drawn from the Scientific Domain. Section B questions are drawn from the Cultural Domain. For each section
candidates answer one essay question from a choice of three.

Unit 2966 is a question paper on the Social Domain. It has two sections. In Section A, candidates answer one compulsory question based on stimulus material. In Section B they answer one essay question from a choice of three.

Unit 2968 is the synoptic unit and consists of two compulsory questions. The questions require interpretation of, and comment on stimulus material provided and extended writing in essay form.

THIS IS FOR OCR.
Reply 5
SiAnY
Specification Content
The specifications address the following areas:
The Scientific Domain: Science, Mathematics and Technology
The Cultural Domain: Culture, Morality, Arts and Humanities
The Social Domain: Society, Politics and the Economy
The six Key Skills of Communication; Application of Number; Information Technology; Working with Others;
Improving own Learning and Performance; Problem Solving
Thinking and analytical skills.

Question Paper Requirements

AS

Question papers for each of the Units 2961, 2962 and 2964 have two sections. Section A provides resource
material focused on the relevant subject domain on which candidates answer a series of short, structuredquestions. In Section B of each question paper, candidates are required to write at greater length on one of three
topics.

A2

Unit 2965 is an examination paper structured in two sections. Questions in Section A are drawn from the Scientific Domain. Section B questions are drawn from the Cultural Domain. For each section
candidates answer one essay question from a choice of three.

Unit 2966 is a question paper on the Social Domain. It has two sections. In Section A, candidates answer one compulsory question based on stimulus material. In Section B they answer one essay question from a choice of three.

Unit 2968 is the synoptic unit and consists of two compulsory questions. The questions require interpretation of, and comment on stimulus material provided and extended writing in essay form.

THIS IS FOR OCR.

phew that was a maga help thank u, it sounds all right to me
so are u ready for the exam??
shushimeng
phew that was a maga help thank u, it sounds all right to me
so are u ready for the exam??

I've had three one hour lessons in a year on the scientific domain in which i learnt nothing. So the answer is no, but you can't really revise for it anyway. It's not like the other subjects at all.
Reply 7
SiAnY
I've had three one hour lessons in a year on the scientific domain in which i learnt nothing. So the answer is no, but you can't really revise for it anyway. It's not like the other subjects at all.

anyway good luck to ya
Reply 8
It's quite simple anyway, lots of people will pass it.
trev1122

Whats the point of it, why not just take English, MAth, a science and politics for gcse -it sounds to me a bit of a cop out! :smile:
Reply 10
amrou
Whats the point of it, why not just take English, MAth, a science and politics for gcse -it sounds to me a bit of a cop out! :smile:

Most people do the first three at GCSE, it's not a cop out, it's almost a refresher course to keep your basic skills up.
Lord Huntroyde
Most people do the first three at GCSE, it's not a cop out, it's almost a refresher course to keep your basic skills up.

haha, that would be quite a mean feat, considering that half the people in my 6th form can't do maths, science, read or write.
Reply 12
wt types of knowledge do u need to know for gs? i know theres objective, subjective, wt else?
Reply 13
Check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/asguru

And click on the General Studies link. You will find some of the basic AS material on it.

Latest