The Student Room Group

Ict alevel

I've applied for ICT alevel (Im a GCSE student currently) as I really enjoy it however I don't like doing spreadsheets and remembering the formula's etc.. I'd like to know if you're doing ICT as an alevel subject, is it all theory based? if not what type of things do you do apart from the theory on the computer
I don't but I know a few that do it and essentially they type loads of long essay-type things about technology to put in an ebook... tbh it sounds like a farce. (they also learn basic html and databases... )

basically it seems pointless
Original post by choco_monsterxo
I've applied for ICT alevel (Im a GCSE student currently) as I really enjoy it however I don't like doing spreadsheets and remembering the formula's etc.. I'd like to know if you're doing ICT as an alevel subject, is it all theory based? if not what type of things do you do apart from the theory on the computer

Hi :smile: I'm currently an AS student doing ICT with the OCR exam board.
The theory component is worth 60% and the coursework is worth 40%.

As for the coursework with OCR, you are given a case study type thing, and a bunch of tasks you have to respond to within the application (e.g spreadsheet) and then screenshot and annotate; each of these mini tasks range in marks from 1 mark to 7 marks.

For my coursework, I'm currently creating a database, website and spreadsheet. I have to admit I'm finding the spreadsheet task the most difficult, but if you persevere with everything, it is definitely doable.

Obviously it differs per exam board, but I hope this helps. I've heard that in A2, ICT is more interesting than AS. :smile:
Original post by elishx__h
Hi :smile: I'm currently an AS student doing ICT with the OCR exam board.
The theory component is worth 60% and the coursework is worth 40%.

As for the coursework with OCR, you are given a case study type thing, and a bunch of tasks you have to respond to within the application (e.g spreadsheet) and then screenshot and annotate; each of these mini tasks range in marks from 1 mark to 7 marks.

For my coursework, I'm currently creating a database, website and spreadsheet. I have to admit I'm finding the spreadsheet task the most difficult, but if you persevere with everything, it is definitely doable.

Obviously it differs per exam board, but I hope this helps. I've heard that in A2, ICT is more interesting than AS. :smile:

Oh dear, If i do it for ALEVEL it will be OCR :| I've just checked the board.
Do not for the love of god do ICT!
(edited 9 years ago)
A2 ict coursework will kill you. The coursework is one big project and (i think it depends on your school) but mines database based. however it's still worth the 80 marks like AS but you have to do so much work for each mark. I am just past halfway through mine and its over 200 pages. If you are going to do ict only do it as a AS. The theory is more interesting but you have to have a good teacher otherwise you will be bored to death. Also the exam is hard as its about "applying your knowledge" and they can stick AS questions in there as well. So from a stressed A2 student, think of your other subjects and only do it as a AS if you do it. I enjoyed AS ict, especially the coursework. Hope that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Yeah AS was so easy compared to A2. I'm doing A2 at the moment and the coursework is just ridiculous and there's so much theory to learn but it can be fairly interesting. I think the teacher is a significant factor on whether you will like it or not because the work can all become really tedious and a good teacher is really needed to get through A2 coursework. For theory, if you don't mind sitting at a computer for ages learning loads of common sense blah then ICT is for you.
Original post by Heartland
A2 ict coursework will kill you. The coursework is one big project and (i think it depends on your school) but mines database based. however it's still worth the 80 marks like AS but you have to do so much work for each mark. I am just past halfway through mine and its over 200 pages. If you are going to do ict only do it as a AS. The theory is more interesting but you have to have a good teacher otherwise you will be bored to death. Also the exam is hard as its about "applying your knowledge" and they can stick AS questions in there as well. So from a stressed A2 student, think of your other subjects and only do it as a AS if you do it. I enjoyed AS ict, especially the coursework. Hope that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, what exam board are you following?:smile: & Compared to AS and AS2, would you say you found AS more interesting/easier to do
Reply 8
Do computing. You get to do programming which is where all the fun begins.
AS OCT ICT is really boring. 90% of the time you are printscreening and annotating it 'because it would make it more appealing'. Follow my advice and swap it with a better alternative such as computing
Original post by Casdijsvmdugjoir
AS OCT ICT is really boring. 90% of the time you are printscreening and annotating it 'because it would make it more appealing'. Follow my advice and swap it with a better alternative such as computing

:eek: I would have chosen computing now, however the place my hoping to do ALEVELS at doesn't offer it. Thank you though, ill try to change it to something better, if i can.
:eek: I would have chosen computing now, however the place my hoping to do ALEVELS at doesn't offer it. Thank you though, ill try to change it to something better, if i can.

No problem. btw, what are your choices?
Yesss! This is so true. :rolleyes: I made the horrible trap of picking ICT when in reality I wanted a subject like computing. :frown: I didn't even know that subject existed when I picked my a levels. :colondollar:

It's not too late to change?
Original post by Casdijsvmdugjoir
No problem. btw, what are your choices?

I've chosen Law, Sociology, English Lit & Ict. Don't feel too keen on the last 2 subjects now :s-smilie:
The sixth forms near me don't offer the subject. :frown:

I pray for you :smile:
Reply 15

Hey,
I do ICT at A2 and I'd recommend it, but it is a very demanding subject with heaps of coursework! 60% of my A Level is coursework which is good for people who, like me, don't like exams. Everything is on the computer - you do a surprising amount of writing what feels like essays! If your teacher is supportive and willing to help always then you'll be fine! Also, the AS exam is on spreadsheets, and I will warn you it's a nightmare. (Sorry!)
Good luck!
ps. I didn't even do GCSE ICT!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending