The Student Room Group

Engineering courses with a geographical element?

Hi, I would like to know about any engineering uni courses that are available with geographical side to them with good job prospects. Cheers
Reply 1
Maybe a Civil Engineering BEng and then do a Geographical MSc ? Or Geology MSc.

Actually that would be quite a good combination.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LucentDoughnut98
Hi, I would like to know about any engineering uni courses that are available with geographical side to them with good job prospects. Cheers

Civil engineering probably - a lot of the things civil engineers work on (roads, rail, water etc) are big therefore planning these has a geographical element to them.

You will still end up studying the building structures side on a civil engineering degree, as many civil engineers will need to understand bridges, retaining walls and other civil engineering structures.

Civil engineering is a huge employer because it's so broad.

Or maybe environmental engineering? Basically to do with remediation of land and things like that. Arguably a subset of civil, and therefore a bit more niche.
Original post by thefish_uk
Civil engineering probably - a lot of the things civil engineers work on (roads, rail, water etc) are big therefore planning these has a geographical element to them.

You will still end up studying the building structures side on a civil engineering degree, as many civil engineers will need to understand bridges, retaining walls and other civil engineering structures.

Civil engineering is a huge employer because it's so broad.

Or maybe environmental engineering? Basically to do with remediation of land and things like that. Arguably a subset of civil, and therefore a bit more niche.

Ive found a few courses titled Civil And Environmental Engineering it looks interesting what do you think the job prospects are for a course like this? Cheers
Reply 4
Original post by LucentDoughnut98

I would say civil engineering. As u need to study geology and soil mechanics during the course. So it’s kind of related to geographical side
Reply 5
Cardiff BEng civil engineering has environmental module options and waste management

Quick Reply

Latest