The Student Room Group

Brother EXTREMELY addicted to PC

He has been constantly playing this stupid Maple Story Game for hours straight from morning till night every day now during the holidays! :mad: Just now, he was playing his stupid game when suddenly he hit his keyboard very hard for quite a number of times in a row. Groaning, I went to his room and he was scowling while playing his game and it isn't "normal" - I don't think that game was made to frustrate people THAT MUCH! Apparently, he told me that the game was lagging, which I clearly see isn't that BADDD at all!

So I told him to stop, forcefully as I noticed that maybe he was more frustrated due to long hours of playing that nonsense game, and he did. He was fuming. Then he came back and angrily turned his PC on and played the game again :mad: . So, I tried telling him diplomatically to turn off his PC and he stubbornly refused. I quickly turned off the switch, and he went to his bedroom, shut his door lock, closed the curtains and I don't know what he's doing inside.

Look guys, I really AM VERY AFRAID that he might slit his wrist or self-harm himself AGAIN which is really worrying me. So now I'm stuck here not knowing what to do and I need some advice on how to approach him.

I know, I suck as a big brother when it comes to disciplining him; it's either I'm too soft or I'm too harsh, but in this case it's more like the latter. What am I to do?????? :confused:

P.S. I'm sorry to those who played the Maple Story game, but I have seen my brother playing it and it's really idiotic and lame that there isn't really any concrete goals and you're just manoeuvrering your lame avatar around and killing random objects.

EDIT: Urghhh, he's back playing his game again....Yeeesh, I don't know what to do now...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You cant do anything to stop it, besides spanking him hard
Reply 2
I want to, but I don't believe that violence can solve anything. Besides, he's pretty violent him and can subject to harm me as revenge one day. And my mom will scold me for touching him!
Reply 3
sorry i didnt read your entire post earlier, but if its as serious as sefl harming, consult your parents first, then try a psychiatrist?
Reply 4
Do you both live with your parents? If so, can they not talk to him about it and make sure that he doesn't spend such a long time on the computer playing this game is it is having a negative effect on him?

Games can frustrate people, and perhaps it's all harmless frustration, but I don't know what else to advise other than keep and eye on him and try to persuade him to do other things than playing on that game?
Reply 5
ye, ya cant really stop him playing this game, ut have you tried not shouting or anything but talking to him about it. Tell him ure worried about wot s going on and ure scared what he may do 2 himself, he may open up and tell ya, ya kno dat ppl bottle things up and take it out out summit hence the game. Ya seriously need 2 talk 2 him not shout thou. If he doesnt talk 2 ya and ust shouts at ya,ya kno summit cud be wrong as he is bottlng it up
Reply 6
Wow, is it that serious to see a psychiatrist? :s-smilie: I see how he is at the moment, but yea, there was once when he used scissors to cut his arm because my parents forced him to study for a few hours or something when he didn't want to.
Reply 7
Yes, I live with both parents. I probably tell them about it and make sure they do something to limit his gaming. I mean, they do, but they are pretty lienient about it since its the holidays. I did try persuading him to play some other things besides that game, but he just wouldn't listen!

Welshdude, yea, I have been shouting to him. :frown: I know that wouldn't work, but I don't know what else to do. I try talking to him or something now, and see what happens.
Why is it your responsibility to discipline him?
carefree_sloth

I quickly turned off the switch, and he went to his bedroom, shut his door lock, closed the curtains and I don't know what he's doing inside.

That made me laugh, sorry

carefree_sloth
Look guys, I really AM VERY AFRAID that he might slit his wrist or self-harm himself AGAIN which is really worrying me. So now I'm stuck here not knowing what to do and I need some advice on how to approach him.

If I was you I would just let him do his own thing, and try not to interfer. Maybe playing on the computer takes him away from his real life and therefore makes him feel a bit better. I know you just want to do the best for him, but I think you shouldn't get down his back about his 'addiction'. You should though keep an eye on him and try to talk to him about normal daily stuff and don't tell him to give up the comp. Give him space and he shouldn't rebel.
I'd say that you should really leave it up to your parents to sort this out. They are the ones that are raising him. As a sibling you really have no authority over him, and if you carry on trying to discipline him then it's just going to end up with you two fighting and him resenting you.
blackswan
Maybe playing on the computer takes him away from his real life and therefore makes him feel a bit better. I know you just want to do the best for him, but I think you shouldn't get down his back about his 'addiction'. You should though keep an eye on him and try to talk to him about normal daily stuff and don't tell him to give up the comp. Give him space and he shouldn't rebel.

Well I did, I pleaded with him (yea, I was more like pleading than talking) to do some other interesting things. Watch TV, play Monopoly with me, even play his lucrative Xbox 360 to get his mind off the game for a while and come back to it later. All he did was shook his head timidly and he continued playing. It seems like his friends were also playing that game too.

I don't want him to end up playing that game incessantly for too long. It seems like his mind is constantly on that game and he totally ignored other aspects of his life. Mind you he still goes to fulfill his needs. :wink: But yea...
carefree_sloth
Mind you he still goes to fulfill his needs. :wink:

Am I the only one who found this sentence coming from his brother really creepy?
Whooops. What I mean is, he still eats, showers etc.
Perhaps it is I who am creepy, having inferred you were referring to his masturbatory patterns.
Reply 15
he only disiplin him cos hes his brother, hes just lookin out 4 him
Reply 16
Just tell him to subscribe here, if he's gonna be addicted at least make it worthwhile :smile:
let him play the game. ive seen people get far more worked up than you described when they lag out (yes it really is that annoying) or someone else in the game makes a mistake. he will get bored of it eventually.
Lofty
Just tell him to subscribe here, if he's gonna be addicted at least make it worthwhile :smile:

:biggrin: Hahahaha! Good idea, but he'd probably say "No mood!" or "So boring!"

I have told him to do some other things but all he kept saying to me was "No mood! No mood!" It's so frustrating! I gave him so many suggestions, but he just tells me he has no mood, no mood, no mood. It's ironic really that he has the mood to play that game. I feel so stupid to tell him to take a break. He doesn't seem to want to listen at all. I bet that he will still continue to play even if a hurricane strikes our house! He doesn't give a care to anything at all.

I might as well give up and continue on with my own life, and push thoughts of him out of my conscience.
high priestess fnord
he will get bored of it eventually.

I hope he would...

Latest

Trending

Trending