The Student Room Group

How can you tell if you have a contact lens stuck behind your eye?

When I came in on Monday night, I lost a contact lens while I was taking them out. I couldn't find it and eventually gave up on it (I was drunk). Yesterday the eye which I lost the contact lens for was a bit gunky, but this might have been from trying to get the lens out or because I have a cold.

Last night when I realised it might be stuck behind my eye (it's happened before and I couldn't even feel it. I looked for it for about half an hour before I thought of checking it wasn't behind my eye, which it was) I tried for a long time to get it out, if it's there, by looking in different directions and rubbing my eyelid towards to front, which is what I did before and it worked.

However, today when I woke up my eye was completely glued shut, it was gross. Is this because I was messing with it (with clean hands) or because I have a lens stuck behind it? Is there any way to tell? Without going to the doctor I mean, because it might not even be there are at all.
Reply 1
Probably no way to tell, you should really see a doctor quickly, either GP or A&E, you don't want to get an eye infection or do any major damage.
Reply 2
The same thing happened to me - except I thought it had just fallen on the floor and I couldn't see it. I even put a new contact lens over the top, and I only realised that it was still in there when it eventually fell out a few days later! It's not behind your eye, but it's probably in there somewhere, and if you're eye's having that much of a reaction to it (it shouldn't, they're designed to prevent that) then go see an optician before it gets any worse! It sounds like you've tried everything already, so there's not much else you can do! Good luck!
The contact lens can't actually get stuck behind the eye - there's muscles there to prevent it but it may have gone out of view and contact.

From http://www.hon.ch/Library/Theme/VisionFaq/section3.html :

3.6.3 Can I lose the lens behind my eye ?

Short answer is no. The conjunctiva, the tissue that covers the white part of the eye (the sclera) forms a cul-de-sac between from the edge of the cornea to the eyelid margin. Sometimes a contact lens, especially a soft contact lens may roll up and become difficult to find. An eyecare practitioner will be able to locate the lens and remove it.

From http://www.eyecarecontacts.com/cls_wearers_questions.html :

Can I lose a lens behind my eye?
No. There is no where for it to go. The conjunctiva, the fine, thin membrane that covers the sclera (white part) and inside of your eyelids is well attached to the side walls of the eye socket. Although you can not lose a lens it can find its way up and u nder the upper lid and be pretty hard to locate. A soft lens can roll up and likewise be hard to find. Either way, if you flush your eye with water or saline, the lens should float out. In rare instances, a RGP lens may adhere by suction to the conjunctiva. First apply wetting solution to the lens and wait about a minute. Then try to move the lens while gently pressing on one edge. If that doesn't work, you can try to very gently lift up under one edge to break the seal. Or go see your eye doctor. If a contact lens adheres repeatedly, it is not fitted correctly and should be replaced.

So I'd go and see your optician if you can't flush it out :smile: Shouldn't take them too long to find it.
Reply 4
Thank you all for your quick responses :smile:

I'll try flushing it with solution.

Screw it. I was anonymous before because it seemed like a stupid thing to do, but now I feel less stupid anyway.
I do all sorts of stupid things with my contacts, don't worry :biggrin:
Reply 6
How wierd, this happened to me for the first time yesterday! Man i was panicing. It hurt lots, did yours hurt? It sounds like its in theresomewhere. I have sleep in contacts and they make my eyes glue up in the morning, its just one of the side effects of them, and I have to wash away the gnk with saline. So the fact your eye is all gluey makes me think it's gotta be in there!
close your eyes, point your eyeballs down and rubdownwards on youe eyelid.
Reply 8
one of the funniest things i've done with contacts is: i woke up VERY GROGGY and went into the bathroom. I thought "why am I here" then realised it had something to do with contact lenses. I then tried taking out my contact lens, forgetting that it was morning and that there wasn't one in there, and basically kept squeezing my cornea!! That hurt slightly :p:
Reply 9
The reason your eye is gunky is probably due to sleeping in them and you eye not wanting to open after. Keep putting saline solution on it and try to roll your eye about without opening the lid to loosen everything up. Do every thing slowly and gradually so if the lense is wedged somewhere it doesnt rip while on your eye. Because most lenses arent designed to be slept in, they hurt your eyes if you do because not enough oxygen gets to the eye and so it will produce fluid to keep everything moving. This should be all that is sticking your eye together. Don't panic, but just try to keep your eye moving.
Reply 10
ugh- don't get me started on broken contact lenses - oweee. I once lost half of one in my eye - so painful - but cos i was in a rush to go out i stuck another one in anyhoo. Luckily in the car i managed to find the broken half (it had been dislodged and was in the corner) and remove that without dragging the other one out too. Wouldn't recommend wearing two at a time tho.
Reply 11
I did that! Put one straight on top of the other, I was only half awake and not reapply sure what was going on. Then I couldnt rememeber what I had done with the other lense and thought I must have lost it, so went to the opticians to get a new one. While there he looked at me squinting, checked my eyes and sat and laughed for half an hour while calling me a ******. Suppose he had a point.
That's why i have stuck with glasses till now.....i prefer forking out 100 quid for an oakley rather than 20 quid every 2 months on contacts.....i've always had apprehensions with putting soemthing inside the eye....lolz.

Anyways, if u think it's that serious, go to am optometrist or an opthalmologist
Reply 13
When I get a contact lens stuck behind my eye it ends up folding and it hurts like hell! Sometimes it'll tear and when I take them out I get a little bit of it still stuck in my eye. Ususally when my eyes relax any foreign bodies work their own way out.

Rapid temp changes, rubbing your eyes, staring, and dust can cause your lenses to stick and behave irratically. You should use eye drops. But not any eye drops, contact lens eye drops.

eye eye :wink:
Reply 14
Oh i always do dat wen i drunk its a knightmare isn't it? I dont think it can get behind your eye thou, I think it just falls on the side of your eye or something. Its really weird. It kills. Have you guys ever split a contact and half of it is stuck in your eye, that kills
Reply 15
I dont understand why the anonymous postin
Don’t really know if my contact is in my eye but is feels uncomfortable like something is in there and I tried every Thing to see if there is one may be I’m crazy idk plz help what should I do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending