The Student Room Group

Optometry Work Experience

Hi there,

Could anyone tell me what kind of tasks and jobs a student does whilst doing work experience at an opticians such as specsavers. Things that would impress a university if mentioned.
Original post by Fkhan170
Hi there,

Could anyone tell me what kind of tasks and jobs a student does whilst doing work experience at an opticians such as specsavers. Things that would impress a university if mentioned.

Presumably it varies but following round the optometrist to see what work they do.
The point isnt to impress a university, what will impress are your insights and observations about what you learned. They will likely have had students who had work experience in an opticians before.
Reply 2
When I did work experience at Specsavers, it was 50% dispensing and 50% optometry.
So, in the mornings I would work at the reception dealing with customers inquiries, handing out their ordered glasses and generally observing the dispensing floor.
For the rest, I would sit with an optometrist when they would perform eye test, asked questions about the course itself and the different equipment they use.
I also conducted a contact lens teach once since I wear contact lens so it was easy for me to help the customer.

So, overall, you ll be dealing with a lot of customers! If lucky they might even let you book appointment.
Reply 3
Original post by okaasan
When I did work experience at Specsavers, it was 50% dispensing and 50% optometry.
So, in the mornings I would work at the reception dealing with customers inquiries, handing out their ordered glasses and generally observing the dispensing floor.
For the rest, I would sit with an optometrist when they would perform eye test, asked questions about the course itself and the different equipment they use.
I also conducted a contact lens teach once since I wear contact lens so it was easy for me to help the customer.

So, overall, you ll be dealing with a lot of customers! If lucky they might even let you book appointment.

Hi there, thanks! Please could u tell me what kind of things you observed whilst shadowing the optometrist? Any key steps while performing an eye test? And what sort of questions did u ask and what were your responses? Also, are you studying optom at uni atm? Thanks again.
hey can you tell me how you got hold of the work experience at specsavers. I want to to do WE there but I don't know how to get it.
Reply 5
hey, may I ask how you got work experience at specsavers please
Reply 6
hey so i have a local specsavers and private eyecare. for specsavers is there a website or a link for work experience jobs only. or do i walk in and ask if they allow. i looked at their website but they mainly ask for proper full time employees

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending