The Student Room Group

ICT vs Music

My current A Levels choices are English Lit, Economics, Psychology and Music. I love music, however my ability does not live up to my passion. I know it is respected in comparison to other arts, maybe even higher than ICT, but I will continue it outside of school regardless (theory and grades). With the world going digital, I think ICT is so important, and I'd like to take graphic design / app making courses externally. This is for my AS option. Opinions?
Don't do ICT - computer studies is a better choice -

What else do you enjoy? What about DT Graphics?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Don't do ICT - computer studies is a better choice -

What else do you enjoy? What about DT Graphics?

Considering I'm applying to the best university's, I want to do subjects that they consider 'acceptable'. These slightly less broader ones are typically considered not as good. I'm already in a bad light for only having one facilitating subject, but I was hoping economics and loads of external activities would make up for it. I've never done computer science before, and Economics and Psychology will be new for me at A Level so I don't want to start a 3rd new subject.
Reply 3
Original post by abcdeffy
Considering I'm applying to the best university's, I want to do subjects that they consider 'acceptable'. These slightly less broader ones are typically considered not as good. I'm already in a bad light for only having one facilitating subject, but I was hoping economics and loads of external activities would make up for it. I've never done computer science before, and Economics and Psychology will be new for me at A Level so I don't want to start a 3rd new subject.

ICT is seen as a soft subject by oxbridge and many other universities. I suppose it depends what you're planning on studying but Comp Sci is by far the better subject in my book. Maths is probably the best subject you can take if you ever plan on studying a science/engineering/economics degree at university. Also, I heard music is very difficult at A-Level, much more so than at GCSE.
(edited 9 years ago)
ICT is fundamentally outdated and disregarded by a lot of universities. I took at GCSE and hated every second of it - the head of ICT at our school specifically advised me not to take it at A-level for my choice of computer science at uni!

If you school offers computing science at A-level, consider that instead. If not, consider maths instead. Otherwise, stick with music if that's what you enjoy.

Basically, pretty much any other option is better than ICT. I'm glad the government is starting to phase it out; its replacement by computer science can't come too soon!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by abcdeffy

Your choices, except for ICT are OK for most unis. If you want the course you suggest then RG unis probably won't be ideal as they tend to be more 'conservative' in content.

Quick Reply

Latest