The Student Room Group

UK Sutton Trust Summer School

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
My son applied for Earth Sciences

Ah nice! I hope he is successful and gets in :smile:
Original post by AskMeAQuestion
I didn't mean to knock people at all! It's just when our academic profile pretty much consists only of GCSEs, you'd expect them to be used a lot. It's still an amazing achievement, but I'm allowed to be proud that I achieved more highly than others - it cost mental breakdowns and fractured relationships for me to achieve what I did!
Anyway, well done! I'm first generation too - it's awful having no support isn't it? I can't imagine it's to do with my subjects - I got A*s in all of the core subjects (Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths, Eng Lang, Eng Lit). At AS level I'm taking all three sciences and maths.
My teacher really likes me, but I have no idea what she wrote on it or how that went.
Yeah, I think I'm in quite a deprived part of an average area, so when looking at the area in general it doesn't seem as bad.

Anyway well done!! Enjoy the summer school!!

No no and you should be proud I mean that's amazing, just make sure you don't stress too much as it could cause issues, for example, I was predicted straight A*s but because of stress I kept passing out and was dizzy etc, and considering my science teacher did nothing but call me autistic (which i'm not at all), i'm proud of my results. (2Bs and C)

Yeah your subjects seem to be right- maybe they realised that your results will get you in despite of UCAS!
Yeah, although I'm in quite a privileged area it might be the results plus my teacher recommendation, i'm really sorry you didn't get it but with those results you honestly shouldn't be stressing about UCAS or uni trust me! :smile:
Original post by LoveToArgue
I've pretty much already accepted that im not going to get in, (I'm at a grammar school in the top 15 in the UK with a v. high Oxbridge progression rate, and live in a nice area, and my dad went to Oxford) I'm just so annoyed that I let my ego get the better of me and applied for Cambridge when I should have gone for something less competitive. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting in, bearing in mind I have the 16-19 bursary and 11A*s at GCSE? And in the references, did the teachers actually say anything about us personally, or was it just to confirm our grades etc?

Don't knock yourself too quick- I'm not from a deprived area, actually the opposite but am first generation uni.
I assume they will write something as I am positive I wouldn't have got it otherwise based on my info
Just got my rejection for medicine from Nottingham for the Summer School..
I got 10A* 2A at GCSE
Have an A in an AS Level
Predicted 4As in AS Levels
Live in a small terrace house worth around £70,000. I have no central heating, no car, walk over an hour to get to school and back.
Then I see people getting in with 3A*s at GCSE, how bad must your living conditions be?

Sorry you didn't get in although you did very well at GCSE and if your a level results are as good as them then you won't have a problem getting into uni so I wouldn't worry about the summer school too much even tho I completely understand why you'd be upset. If you don't mind me asking do you get free school meals or EMA (or the 16-19 bursary) because that could impact their decision if someone who did get both applied they could have chosen them over you?
Just got my rejection for medicine from Nottingham for the Summer School..
I got 10A* 2A at GCSE
Have an A in an AS Level
Predicted 4As in AS Levels
Live in a small terrace house worth around £70,000. I have no central heating, no car, walk over an hour to get to school and back.
Then I see people getting in with 3A*s at GCSE, how bad must your living conditions be?

Don't worry about it. I was under the impression it wasn't to do with your GCSE profile, just if you met the GCSE requirements. Someone I know got into Edinburgh with no A*'s. But I am surprised!! All I can think is your grades are so amazing that it is clear you will go to an excellent university! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LoveToArgue
I've pretty much already accepted that im not going to get in, (I'm at a grammar school in the top 15 in the UK with a v. high Oxbridge progression rate, and live in a nice area, and my dad went to Oxford) I'm just so annoyed that I let my ego get the better of me and applied for Cambridge when I should have gone for something less competitive. Does anyone think I have a chance of getting in, bearing in mind I have the 16-19 bursary and 11A*s at GCSE? And in the references, did the teachers actually say anything about us personally, or was it just to confirm our grades etc?

The references included personal stuff or at least mine did because my bio teacher asked us to email us any personal issues and family situations and stuff like that.
Reply 386
Original post by miacat
Don't worry about it. I was under the impression it wasn't to do with your GCSE profile, just if you met the GCSE requirements. Someone I know got into Bristol with no A*'s, and a mix of A's, B's and C's. But I am surprised!! All I can think is your grades are so amazing that it is clear you will go to an excellent university! :smile:

Bristol have replied already?!
Now definitely know I didn't get in
Original post by CBftw
Bristol have replied already?! ������
Now definitely know I didn't get in ������

Anything more from Bristol.. Applied for biomedical sciences and so nervous just want to find out
Original post by CBftw
Bristol have replied already?! ������ Now definitely know I didn't get in ������

oops not Bristol sorry, Edinburgh, tired ahahahah, sorry for false alarm
(edited 9 years ago)
I've just realised this threat isn't entitled UK Sutton Trust SUMMER School, why have I only just noticed this?!
Original post by FHL123
To anyone applying for economics at Cambridge, what GCSE grades do you have??
The competition looks intense and tbh I'm really scared!!!!:confused:

I applied for that! I got 8A*s and 3As, but I doubt that I'll get in. :rolleyes:
Reply 391
Original post by Safiyamae
Anything more from Bristol.. Applied for biomedical sciences and so nervous just want to find out

I applied for law - hopefully the competition isn't too much & we'll all get in.

Original post by miacat

Phew - I started panicking for a minute :frown:
Original post by miacat

Ahaha fair enough, no worries aha
Original post by CBftw
Phew - I started panicking for a minute :frown:

Sorry :frown:
Did anyone apply to NatSci at UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GPeach1
I haven't yet, what did you apply for?

Chemistry! wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheGreatImposter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Igw though about applying there.But I'm not really sure.What about you?
Original post by TheGreatImposter

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did! Still haven't heard anything back :frown:
Original post by Nijuuninichi
I applied for that! I got 8A*s and 3As, but I doubt that I'll get in. :rolleyes:

No, I'm sure you'll get in. You've done really well.
I got 4a*s 6a's and 1b - I've got no chance :frown:
Original post by hafiza.irshad
Chemistry! wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! Hopefully we both get in fingers crossed

Quick Reply

Latest