The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to the USA

Hi,

Sorry this is a rather wordy post.

I’m currently in year 13 and I’m hoping to apply to US colleges next year. I’m taking a gap year to work on myself as well as take the SAT. I’m predicted and expected to achieve A*A*A* in my A-Levels; but my GcSE’s were not the best (7777766) due to extenuating circumstances (severe personal things I had going on).

My EC’s so far are I’ve been organising a local food bank weekly for almost two years now where we serve 3 meals a day (2 hot, 1 cold), I play badminton, 3 work experiences (I’m hoping to score an internship for summer), essay competitions, a programme at my school that is called pupil premium where we help the bursary students that are in secondary school by doing a range of tasks for them(1yr long) and babysitting as they say familial responsibilities count and this takes up a lot of my time since I have a single mum who works full time.

I’m hopeful for the SAT as I’ve scored very well on practice papers so I’m hoping to achieve at least 1510.

Do you think it is worth me applying?
Reply 1
How are you planning on funding the degree?

There is a world of difference between getting an offer from a US university and getting an offer for full costs of attendance.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
How are you planning on funding the degree?

There is a world of difference between getting an offer from a US university and getting an offer for full costs of attendance.

I’ve contacted some colleges and since my family is on universal credit I’d be eligible for a lot of scholarships.
If I didn’t get any scholarships/acceptances I’d just continue at a UK university, it wouldn’t be the end of the world for me.
I just thought I’d give it a shot since it’s something I’ve dreamt about for a long time😁
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve contacted some colleges and since my family is on universal credit I’d be eligible for a lot of scholarships.
If I didn’t get any scholarships/acceptances I’d just continue at a UK university, it wouldn’t be the end of the world for me.
I just thought I’d give it a shot since it’s something I’ve dreamt about for a long time😁

Thats great - seems like you have done some good research. Have you reached out to the Sutton Trust?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Thats great - seems like you have done some good research. Have you reached out to the Sutton Trust?

I did not do the sutton trust programme as I had no idea it existed until around February of Year 12 by which time it was too late to apply. I think the programme is only for year 12’s so I wouldn’t be able to do it now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending