The Student Room Group

General Studies?

I know this is going to sound stupid but I've got a general studies exam soon and I'm still not clear about what it is. My school's rubbish at explaining stuff, this is what we got told:
"Oh it's just an exam with a bit of everything on, bit of maths, science, you know. It's general"
:confused:
Considering we only found out like a couple of weeks ago that we were even sitting this exam it's got me panicked a bit.
Does anyone care to elaborate a bit more about what it actually is, is it hard?
I think my year head just loves to scare us to death, she's been doing it for the past 6 years, why stop now?
Reply 1
What syllabus are you on? You can probably find the specification on their site.

Also there is the BBC general Studies revision site.
Reply 2
Have you had any general studies lessons at all - that should give you a clue?

General studies is generally regarded as 'the exam you can't study for' so don't worry too much. It usually contains sections on science, society and culture and rather than needing to remember anything specific you will need to be able to analyse texts, argue a case for something, discribe various concepts etc. The exam is usually based on various issues and current affairs so you could expect things like teenage pregnancies, the middle east conflict, gene therepy to come up. It is recommended that you do no revision for general studies but instead have a good knowledhe of current affairs from reading the papers and things though letts and other companies do produce revision guides and things.

find out what your board is and download a few practice papers from their website.
Reply 3
come on... everyone whos taking AS gs, lets all fail this exam in 3 days.
Reply 4
Don't worry about it guys... alot of people in my year got A's (those that do History mainly because they have good essay style) and I got a B through zero work and zero revision. Just have some intelligence and idea of whats going on and you should get a C or higher.

Latest