The Student Room Group

Does the effecienccy of a catalyst depend on its activation enegy?

If a catalyst has a higher activation energy then another catalyst, does that necessarily mean it is a less effective catalyst?

I'm doing my A2 chemistry investigation investigating the reaction between propanone and iodine in acidic solution; during which I changed the catalyst from hydrochloric acid to sulphuric acid. I changed the temperature 4 times at each catalyst and calculated the rate and activation energy.

The rate at each temperature for the experiments were far higher with the sulphuric acid catalyst, but when I calculated the activation energy of the sulphuric acid it was higher? All my calculations and graphs are correct as my chemistry teachers have checked it.
any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Mr mysterious
If a catalyst has a higher activation energy then another catalyst, does that necessarily mean it is a less effective catalyst?

I'm doing my A2 chemistry investigation investigating the reaction between propanone and iodine in acidic solution; during which I changed the catalyst from hydrochloric acid to sulphuric acid. I changed the temperature 4 times at each catalyst and calculated the rate and activation energy.

The rate at each temperature for the experiments were far higher with the sulphuric acid catalyst, but when I calculated the activation energy of the sulphuric acid it was higher? All my calculations and graphs are correct as my chemistry teachers have checked it.
any help would be much appreciated :smile:

If i remember rightly; the Ea (activation energy) is only one aspect. Yes, the activation energy may be higher, but the catalyst may be more efficient in the long term overall reaction. Its not less effective if it has a higher activation energy necessarily.
Original post by King Boo
If i remember rightly; the Ea (activation energy) is only one aspect. Yes, the activation energy may be higher, but the catalyst may be more efficient in the long term overall reaction. Its not less effective if it has a higher activation energy necessarily.

thanks for the help:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest