The Student Room Group

Is Monogamy dead?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joel21
I got it from reddit, around 90% of the women were aged 18-24 and 95% of them were from America.
A little less surprising? The respondents take on whether having "sex with another person repeatedly" was a form of infidelity. Ninety-two percent of women said it was, and 86 percent of men agreed.

Also interesting to note? The respondents' confessions about their own history with infidelity. Twenty-eight percent of the singles polled admitted to having been unfaithful in a prior relationship -- a slight increase from 2013, when only 22 percent admitted to straying in a relationship.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/21/what-is-cheating_n_4638945.html

Monogamy doesn't look dead.
Reply 41
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Okay, right, someone do a PROPER survey of actual women and men, and see how many of them genuinely have two lovers who know about each other, and how many had cheated, please.
Be my guest. :biggrin:
Nah, monogamy all the way.
Reply 43
Perhaps it's an American thing but i've always thought they were more monogamus and europeans more open.
Reply 44
Original post by Joel21
I got it from reddit, around 90% of the women were aged 18-24 and 95% of them were from America.

I wouldn't go off a poll reddit, its hardly a accurate representation of the general public. I don't even know anyone who is in an open relationship (well afaik anyway) so I doubt its the norm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
It may not be but guessing people are more willing to be honest online than in real life, at least that's how I see it.
Reply 46
Original post by Joel21
It may not be but guessing people are more willing to be honest online than in real life, at least that's how I see it.

Its a relatively small sample and those who answered that type of question would likely be the ones who would answer yes to it anyway. Its likely that there were plenty of people who aren't into open relationships on that sub-reddit who didn't even look at that poll as it doesn't interest them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
Fair point I didn't think of that.
Original post by Joel21
I've been asking this question on reddit and most males responded that their monogamus with most women either prefering polyamory or non monogamy. I find this a fascinating shift from the old stereotype that it was in fact men who were not monogamus and women were the monogamus ones. Now we know it's in fact the opposite how do we see this changing our soceity?

Ah yes, reddit, truly the source of all truth and knowledge.

Monogomy is still very much the norm and polyamory is still very much looked down upon in general.
Reply 49
Original post by Mm_Minty
Ah yes, reddit, truly the source of all truth and knowledge.

Monogomy is still very much the norm and polyamory is still very much looked down upon in general.

Out of interet are you monogamus or polyamorous?
Original post by Joel21
In fact if you go back to the animal kingdom

I love going back to the animal kingdom. I do it every tuesday. Does anyone else go back to the animal kingdom?
Original post by JC.
I'd like to think as a society we've grown beyond regressing back to basic animal instincts.

We haven't become more monogamous just as a society, but as a species, biologically. For instance, the two lines of dots on the back of a mans penis used to be penis spines, for raking out other mens sperm.
Reply 52
I do it every Wednesday, I strip my clothes off and walk naked down the road having sex with every attractive female I see. More people should save a day in the week to go back to the animal kingdom, this will be the future of the human race IMO so you better get on board with the times.
Reply 53
Anyone else like to contribute?
Reply 54
There must be some more people who have an opinion on the death of monogamy, let's hear your views people.
Reply 55
Original post by Joel21
So it's ok for women but not men? How sexist.

Strawman.
Original post by Joel21
With most women now identifying as non monogamus and in open relationships and polyamory are we witnessing the end of monogamy as we know it? Discuss...

The simple answer to your thread is 'No', most people won't share.

One can call me a member of the patriarchy for saying this but i would never share somebody i considered a potential mother to my children. Those who do share are weak and submissive and with partners who do not value loyalty. If my future wife suggested that she permitted to sleep around, i would seriously consider divorce. I am a man and the woman will prove herself to be only with me or she will be dumped.
Reply 57
Original post by Rakas21
The simple answer to your thread is 'No', most people won't share.<br />
<br />
One can call me a member of the patriarchy for saying this but i would never share somebody i considered a potential mother to my children. Those who do share are weak and submissive and with partners who do not value loyalty. If my future wife suggested that she permitted to sleep around, i would seriously consider divorce. I am a man and the woman will prove herself to be only with me or she will be dumped.
What I find ironic is nearly all women desire more than one sexual partner or romantic partner and the man is expected to share his woman with other men but the man is never allowed more than 1 woman because the woman will never allow it and men will be judged harshly for it by soceity. We now live in an age where women want more than 1 partner so I guess we just need to move with the times and accept it.
Reply 58
Original post by Joel21
What I find ironic is nearly all women desire more than one sexual partner or romantic partner and the man is expected to share his woman with other men but the man is never allowed more than 1 woman because the woman will never allow it and men will be judged harshly for it by soceity. We now live in an age where women want more than 1 partner so I guess we just need to move with the times and accept it.

I can't speak for all women but I've never had any interest in having more than one partner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by gemmam
I can't speak for all women but I've never had any interest in having more than one partner. <br />
<br />
<font size="1"><a href="http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/app" target="_blank">Posted from TSR Mobile</a></font>
Going by my research most women want more than one partner, you are in a very small minority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending