The Student Room Group

Macbook Air vs Surface Pro 3?

Hi,

I made a previous post about what laptop to buy for University. After careful consideration, I noticed the SP3 by Microsoft and it looks amazing for note taking and doing additional work when in and out of class.

Are they students who currently use these devices? What would you recommend?

I know the Macbook Air can run VMs so will the SP3 will be able to run them or do light programming? I'm going to be studying Computing (Programming web development etc..)
I'd go with the SP3, nearly every IDE thats used in programming will be compatible with windows and if you're used to the OS theres not many issues.

On the other hand, if you're more comfortable with a built in keyboard and have the time to get used to OSX then go for that
I would personally go sp3, my sister has a sp2 I think and our seems not bad, in many respects it's the reason windows 8 is how it is, convenience of a tablet and practicality of a laptop, far from perfect but not a bad compromise for the price

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies, the SP3 keyboard attachment looks good and potentially works for train journeys. Do you think it would be worth waiting for the SP4 to be released?
Original post by annoy123
Thanks for the replies, the SP3 keyboard attachment looks good and potentially works for train journeys. Do you think it would be worth waiting for the SP4 to be released?

Look at battery life reviews, of it's fine for you don't bother writing since that's probably the only real change, of thermal throttling is an issue, add the user below suggests, wait if you can

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I would have recommended Surface Pro 3 but its main problem is thermal throttling which will really hamper the thing when it is under load. I own a MacBook Pro Retina myself and dual boot OS X and Windows 10
Reply 6
I'm thinking of waiting for the Surface Pro 4 - there are rumored dates so hopefully it will be released before University starts. Otherwise I will have to purchase the SP3. Thank you for your inputs in this thread.
The Surface Pro 4 will be released at Computex in June, it will also be ridiculously exspensive... Worth waiting for though
Original post by Ryan_Anthony_
The Surface Pro 4 will be released at Computex in June, it will also be ridiculously exspensive... Worth waiting for though

Microsoft wouldnt announce it at a seperate show like Computex. Look back at the previous Pro's, all were unveiled at Microsoft events. Id wager they will unveil it at the BUILD conference and will release it the day Windows 10 launches. It will be priced in line with the current Surface Pro so not stupid expensive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending