The Student Room Group

"Brealfies" and the rise of public breastfeeding.

Scroll to see replies

Honestly guys are always constantly staring at my boobs and im guessing they would like to see them too and the amount of guys that ask for topless pics so hypothetically if I had a baby and was breastfeeding they wouldn't want to see brelfies or me breastfeeding on the street right...
Well you cant pick and choose so if someone needs to feed their baby in public they have every right to
There is absolutely no reason to take selfies of your baby sucking on dem titties. There's nothing wrong with breast-feeding in public but I don't think it should be turned into yet another way for women to fuel the sort of attention-seeking behaviour currently enabled by the confluence of social media and right-on feminism.

Original post by Maid Marian
My thoughts on 'brealfies' or breastfeeding in general? One is a vanity fad, the other is a natural process to feed a child. :s-smilie: That said, I don't really want to see someone release their boob to their child while I'm eating in a restaurant or whatever...

Why not, out of interest? What is the thinking behind those people who find this distasteful? I know you're a reasonable person so it would be nice to have some understanding.
Original post by driftawaay
It's pretty gross. No one gives a **** if 'breastfeeding is natural' and 'not something shameful' or whatever, should we also be allowed to take a **** and piss wherever we like with people all around?

That's a massive straw man. Piss and **** are excreta and are unsanitary. The toilet is there for sanitary purposes. In all human societies they separate sanitation and food: why then should a baby feed in the toilets?

By the same token, you will not change your tampon at the table - and this is a decent comparison insofar as to do so might be, like breast-feeding, interpreted as an act of feminist socio-political dissent. It shows it's not to do with special rules for women/feminists but based on solid principles around the separation of sanitation and feeding.

I can't think of an equivalence for breastfeeding. Here's a weird one: if we were super-intelligent birds, would we expect to allow regurgitation at the table? I think yes...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by #Ridwan
They do have every right to eat. Quite why mum needs to do it in front of everyone is beyond me. That's what the restaurant toilets are for. Or she could just plan in advance like good mums do and put it in a bottle.

You'd eat your dinner in a toilet?
There seems to be a lot of hate for women wanting to feed their babies in places designed for eating. People really should get over themselves in this thread.
what will be next... the poofie ?
Reply 26
'Just put it in a bottle'

LOL, someone needs to read up on breastfeeding or sit the **** down and stop whining.
Original post by scrotgrot
There is absolutely no reason to take selfies of your baby sucking on dem titties. There's nothing wrong with breast-feeding in public but I don't think it should be turned into yet another way for women to fuel the sort of attention-seeking behaviour currently enabled by the confluence of social media and right-on feminism.

Why not, out of interest? What is the thinking behind those people who find this distasteful? I know you're a reasonable person so it would be nice to have some understanding.

She votes UKIP :ahee:

Farage is man of the people, taking a stand against the such unbritish acts as public breast fading. Do you hate the queen?

My trollmanship is ever increasing on this site :tongue:

Original post by scrotgrot

I can't think of an equivalence for breastfeeding. Here's a weird one: if we were super-intelligent birds, would we expect to allow regurgitation at the table? I think yes...

Superb analogy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Babies are high maintenance. People should reconsider why they are going to take part in any public gatherings when they have baby-sitting duties to realize.
Do people realise there's an act called the Equalities Act which means that women actually have the right to feed their baby in public?
Original post by OU Student
You'd eat your dinner in a toilet?

It's a baby, it's not gonna know any difference.
Original post by OU Student
Do people realise there's an act called the Equalities Act which means that women actually have the right to feed their baby in public?

Yes, I do.

It's an awful law that needs repealing ASAP.
Reply 32
I see no point in brealfies except attention seeking.
When there was a law passed in Scotland giving mothers the legal right to breastfeed, part of me was supportive, the other saddened that is was even felt necessary to have such a law in the first place. My only concern with taking photos of breastfeeding is if people then think it is OK to take photos of women breastfeeding or topless without their consent.
Should mothers have the right to do this in public places whenever and wherever they want? Sure; I'm not disputing freedom. But should they do it wherever and whenever they want? Different question. There's a time and a place for everything. It's simply common courtesy to make intimate matters like breastfeeding more private and discreet when possible.

I can appreciate that babies need feeding when they do, but this militant "screw manners; I do what I want, wherever I want, whenever I want" mentality and fierce sense of entitlement some people have is what irks me. The public doesn't necessarily want to see your swollen milky boobs, and a small blanket or even a private corner 10 ft away isn't asking much, is it? Consideration for others goes both ways.
This whole hate for breast feeding mothers only started happening five minutes ago when it was decided five minutes ago that being discrete when breast feeding wasn't just normal manners. Funny that.
(edited 8 years ago)
You can't actually see much when a baby is being fed. You, from experience, don't tend to know unless you're sat there leering. I only knew once because the baby burped...
Original post by Ronove
'Just put it in a bottle'

LOL, someone needs to read up on breastfeeding or sit the **** down and stop whining.

I don't have any problem at all with breastfeeding but, for instance, dispensing milk into a bottle is an option, is it not?

Do you need to 'sit the **** down' love?
I think people should stop making a big deal out of something so trivial. Baby's got to eat.
Original post by Heliosphan
I don't have any problem at all with breastfeeding but, for instance, dispensing milk into a bottle is an option, is it not?

Do you need to 'sit the **** down' love?

Breast pumps are expensive, and you need to on average pump every 3 hours. At some point you're going to have to do it at an inconvenient time, possibly in public.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending