The Student Room Group

Between A and AS

Hi, basically I wanted to take part in World Challenge (where you go away to a different country e.g. Borneo or India for a month where you have a task to do). It is a month long and takes place in August. There is also a lot of training you must do before you go.

I am currently in year 11 doing my GCSEs but applied too late to do it in the summer holidays before sixth form. Now my only option is to do it after my AS, before year 13.

I was wondering whether this is a bad time to be going away for a month, because of all the UCAS and Uni stuff. There is also a lot of training to be done before hand, during the half-terms etc in year 12.

So.....what do you think, would I be too busy during that time? or should i go?
It sounds like too good an opportunity to miss, and something fantastic to put on UCAS. I'd say go for it, draft your UCAS really early, then its just a case of getting it sent off! :smile:
yep you just need to plan a bit more. You're already thinking about it now though so if you're not too lazy and put things off you should be able to do it.
Reply 3
It is a good time to go as you will be able to put it on your UCAS form and write about it in your PS.

You will still have July and September to plan where you want to apply to and which course and there are plenty of open days in those 2 months. I had decided where I was going in June and spent 1 morning writing my personal statement then a few hours perfecting it, it doesn't take that long.
Reply 4
thanks a lot everyone. I'll go for it then i think

out of interest has anyone else taken part in world challenge?
www.world-challenge.co.uk
i didnt like the country this yeat but ifs its somehwere cool like china or thiland i'll defeintly go. Didnt like the sound of ZimBarbway.
As others have said, World Challenge sounds like a fantastic experience and something you could write in your personal statement and CV. You wouldn't miss anything by going away in August because the UCAS deadline isn't until the following January, so you'd have plenty of time when you got back (or before you went if you really wanted to) to research courses and unis, go on open days and start to draft your form. As for missing half terms, you'd just have to make sure you were on top of all your work beforehand.
Reply 7
Yes, go for it, sounds fantastic! Plus, even if you did nothing about unis etc in the summer, even if you wanted to do an Oxbridge course, then you'd still have lots of time :smile:
Reply 8
Multi_Eventer
i didnt like the country this yeat but ifs its somehwere cool like china or thiland i\'ll defeintly go. Didnt like the sound of ZimBarbway.

Lol love the spelling of Zimbabwe there :p:
I started doing my UCAS stuff in September and my deadline was 15th of October, just do it.

I'm in my A2 year, can I do it or is it too late? the website is disorientating.
tazmanmaniac
I started doing my UCAS stuff in September and my deadline was 15th of October, just do it.

I'm in my A2 year, can I do it or is it too late? the website is disorientating.

There was about a year and 8 months planning beforehand for the Team Challenge that I did, raising funds and things so you'd have to bear in mind what other stuff you might be planning on doing. There's probably an option somewhere, though :smile: Have a look at the "programmes" section on the website and if you can't find what you need then you can always email them :biggrin:

And Swirley, I went to Guatemala and Belize this summer and honestly had the best time of my life! The countries themselves were amazing but the best bit was getting to know so many new people that I doubt I would have done had I not taken part in World Challenge. Go for it if you can :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending