The Student Room Group

Is a gap year worth it?

I’m 15 currently and contemplating taking a gap year between school and hopefully studying law at uni, is it worth it? i want to experience the world aswell as build experience but i don’t want to fall behind academically
Original post by Ivy.Anderson
I’m 15 currently and contemplating taking a gap year between school and hopefully studying law at uni, is it worth it? i want to experience the world aswell as build experience but i don’t want to fall behind academically

Don’t take a gap year between college and school, take one between school and uni if you want to but you don’t need to think about this until the time comes as it’s ages away.

I only stayed back a year in college because I wanted to do better grade wise, which has now put me behind my peer group. Taking a gap year on its own is a lot more freeing as you don’t feel as trapped with younger years (age maturity is highly noticeable once you drop back a year).

My friends on real gap years love it they’re either travelling or working to earn money before going to uni, and had less stress than I even do because they didn’t have to think about a level grades, they got to apply after doing them to start this coming year.

People who do gap years between school and a levels come back slacking a lot of the time as the jump between school and a levels is a lot less than the jump between university and college on the whole.

If you have any questions about college or uni life and processes i’d be more than happy to answer to my best ability 🙂
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest