The Student Room Group

A level changes

Hey I'm currently in yr12 studying maths bio geog and hist. Next yr I'm gonna drop hist and I'm aiming to apply for an optometry degree. I was wondering if due to the new a levels changed would I be allowed to pick up an extra As in yr13? Specifically in physics or chem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Fay17
Hey I'm currently in yr12 studying maths bio geog and hist. Next yr I'm gonna drop hist and I'm aiming to apply for an optometry degree. I was wondering if due to the new a levels changed would I be allowed to pick up an extra As in yr13? Specifically in physics or chem?

It's possible, whether or not you can is up to your school.
Reply 2
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do another as? I'd agree they'd prove useful for optometry but it could be stressful since you'd have 3 a2s to focus on too, so make sure you can cope :smile: however if you do well enough, bio+maths can get you onto that degree, along with geography as a third.

As for being allowed, i'm not entirely sure (about the new spec) but if your school doesn't provide you with the opportunity, there's also distance learning courses you maybe can try. Maybe ask a teacher since they should know about spec changes.
Reply 3
Original post by Arcai
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do another as? I'd agree they'd prove useful for optometry but it could be stressful since you'd have 3 a2s to focus on too, so make sure you can cope :smile: however if you do well enough, bio+maths can get you onto that degree, along with geography as a third.

As for being allowed, i'm not entirely sure (about the new spec) but if your school doesn't provide you with the opportunity, there's also distance learning courses you maybe can try. Maybe ask a teacher since they should know about spec changes.

Basically as I'm worried I'll be at a disadvantage even though I meet the entry requirements :P I should just concentrate on the ones I'm doing atm but I just wanna give myself the best chance. Thankyou for your help tho and I'll ask my teachers at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Fay17
Basically as I'm worried I'll be at a disadvantage even though I meet the entry requirements :P I should just concentrate on the ones I'm doing atm but I just wanna give myself the best chance. Thankyou for your help tho and I'll ask my teachers at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you'll be fine as long as you do well and meet the required grades :smile: Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest