The Student Room Group

A levels/yr 12 repeation

Hi I am currently in year 12 studying BTEC extended diploma in Engineering and A-level maths so 4 a-levels. But now since its ben about half the year I feel like Engineering isn't something I will ever enjoy. TBH I feel stupid for picking it.
So the GCSE grades I got was 9.9 in combined science and my question is if I change my subjects next year and repeat year 12 with different subjects to Biology, Chemistry and Geography or Maths(depends on my maths end of year grade). Judging by my GCSE grades would I manage the science subjects. I know it sounds like it's a stupid question but everyone, who I have asked has only said how hard they are and how the GCSE grades don't really matter when it comes to A-level. Please advise if I should just go for the change or should I stick with the engineering, which is a bit easier and go into a carreer that isn't bad but I wont really enjoy.

Also, if I switch to the A-levels would it stop me getting into dentinsty becasue i'm still completing them within 2 years but I would just be one year older.
No an extra year shouldn't matter, many people take a gap year, you might want to email the unis before you apply though letting them know your situation.
But before you change: do work experiece, see if you actually want to do it, if you end up switching and deciding you don't want to do dent...
Also do anything email some unis to see if your BTEC and a level would be eligible, you might not have to change...
Reply 2
Original post by toothysmile
No an extra year shouldn't matter, many people take a gap year, you might want to email the unis before you apply though letting them know your situation.
But before you change: do work experiece, see if you actually want to do it, if you end up switching and deciding you don't want to do dent...
Also do anything email some unis to see if your BTEC and a level would be eligible, you might not have to change...
Just about what you just said shall I email universities now or before I apply? Thanks
Original post by zak.sa1
Just about what you just said shall I email universities now or before I apply? Thanks
email asap
Reply 4
I have emailed them but won't I still have 2 years till I apply as I'm doing the year again. Do I need to make sure they know in advance

Quick Reply

Latest