The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Midlander
What hatred? From keyboard warriors? Why give them the satisfaction of a response?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What hatred?! Feminism is considered a dirty word on this site and there is a general contempt for any woman that doesn't 'know her place'.

Not by responding, more by talking to other women/guys that are just a bit lost. Creating sensible dialogue against the tide of people yelling 'FEMENAZI' whenever sexism is called out.
Reply 61
The standard of discussion went down when the negative rep system was removed. Instead of just giving the person a thumbs down, people now respond to other's worthless opinions and obvious attempts to stir up controversy, thus keeping the pointless discussion going.

Back in the day you could burst into a thread, throw down a neg and leave the sucker to die.
Original post by redferry
What hatred?! Feminism is considered a dirty word on this site and there is a general contempt for any woman that doesn't 'know her place'.

Not by responding, more by talking to other women/guys that are just a bit lost. Creating sensible dialogue against the tide of people yelling 'FEMENAZI' whenever sexism is called out.

I would direct you to the thread on feminism and Islam if you want some hope. Let morons stew in their own idiocy, keyboard sexists are not worth your time giving responses to which is all they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would direct you to the thread on feminism and Islam if you want some hope. Let morons stew in their own idiocy, keyboard sexists are not worth your time giving responses to which is all they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but that was started by Chaotic Butterfly, and I taught him everything he knows :wink:

I jest, but cerial, he is in a minority of men on this site that doesn't speak of feminism with contempt.

The reason that thread continues without hijack is because if you take the people on here who hold feminism in contempt, as a rule they generally hold Islam in contempt. When insulting Islam they often will use the argument that the religion doesn't treat women well - ie the feminist argument - whilst spitting all over feminism in another thread. The only acceptable form of feminism, in their eyes, is one that can also be used as an attack on Islam, and therefore, in that context, they'd be attacking their own argument against the religion.
Yeah but that was started by Chaotic Butterfly, and I taught him everything he knows :wink:

I jest, but cerial, he is in a minority of men on this site that doesn't speak of feminism with contempt.

The reason that thread continues without hijack is because if you take the people on here who hold feminism in contempt, as a rule they generally hold Islam in contempt. When insulting Islam they often will use the argument that the religion doesn't treat women well - ie the feminist argument - whilst spitting all over feminism in another thread. The only acceptable form of feminism, in their eyes, is one that can also be used as an attack on Islam, and therefore, in that context, they'd be attacking their own argument against the religion.

You get more from online forums if you filter out the rubbish. If you get drawn into arguing with idiots then of course it will make you want to leave-just don't give them the satisfaction of taking their bait.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You get more from online forums if you filter out the rubbish. If you get drawn into arguing with idiots then of course it will make you want to leave-just don't give them the satisfaction of taking their bait.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, I do walk away once they make it clear they aren't interested in reasonable debate.

Sometimes the progress is a bit backwards though. Pretty sure Riku/Smash now says I'm the only 'real feminist' here. Its like arghhh no that is not the point I was trying to make -_-
Well someone's got to stick around and fight the tide of hatred towards women that is taking over :/

Do you genuinely want us to all leave (for the upmpteenth time in my case...)

That was more aimed at those who throw around insults to the site but don't actually suggest any way of making it better. They clearly have a problem with TSR but yet persist in using it, even when they think it won't improve. That's what I don't understand.
Original post by BurstingBubbles
That was more aimed at those who throw around insults to the site but don't actually suggest any way of making it better. They clearly have a problem with TSR but yet persist in using it, even when they think it won't improve. That's what I don't understand.

Well I haven't really suggested any ways of getting rid of the women hating have I? And I must have brought it up hundreds of times...

I guess at least I do leave when it gets too bad.
Don't worry, I do walk away once they make it clear they aren't interested in reasonable debate.

Sometimes the progress is a bit backwards though. Pretty sure Riku/Smash now says I'm the only 'real feminist' here. Its like arghhh no that is not the point I was trying to make -_-

Well for some it's difficult to tell the difference between someone wanting equal rights for women and someone thinking men are the scum of the Earth. Online you have the usual keyboard warriors who blow things out of proportion and this applies to any debate on this site and elsewhere. I hope in the real world you have met men who don't subscribe to this line of thinking.

Mrs M is a pretty dedicated feminist but also advocates things like proper paternity leave for men. A feminist usually cares about gender issues on both sides, which the keyboard warriors would do well to remember.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BurstingBubbles

Obviously some just like having a whinge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well for some it's difficult to tell the difference between someone wanting equal rights for women and someone thinking men are the scum of the Earth. Online you have the usual keyboard warriors who blow things out of proportion and this applies to any debate on this site and elsewhere. I hope in the real world you have met men who don't subscribe to this line of thinking.

Mrs M is a pretty dedicated feminist but also advocates things like proper paternity leave for men. A feminist usually cares about gender issues on both sides, which the keyboard warriors would do well to remember.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are very very few posters who fall along those lines though. The one that was most accused of that was Tyrion. And there is no way in hell she thought men were scum of the earth, she just got sick of all thus shut sometimes and lost it a bit.

Oh of course, I have a very great group of male friends, and both my partner and father are as feminist as I am. In fact my dads favourite chocolate is Yorkie and he stopped eating it when it ran the 'not for girls' campaign when I was little and hasn't touched one since.

That's part of the problem though, sometimes women should be able to talk about women's issues without 'but men' and vice versa. Seems the only time mens are brought up are as a way of baashing feminism on thus site. Or Islam.
Original post by Twinpeaks
So in other words, if you have concerns or are unhappy with something, don't express your opinion, just stop using the site.

How is that helpful in encouraging improvement?

That's not actually what I said. There's a considerable difference between 'I have a concern about this aspect of the site, but we could do x to improve it' and 'This place is awful now, it's a disgrace'.

I have absolutely no issues with the former, and constructive feedback is great to see how we can better the site. The latter isn't particularly helpful though - as I said before, it just ends up with people badmouthing the site, but not suggesting how the issues could be addressed.

I can understand you being unhappy with aspects of the site, and it's certainly not flawless. But I think there are better ways to go about addressing this, if you actually want something to be done.
Original post by darkred
Exactly, the admin had the same image. I just couldn't say yes.

I guess they thought you were too much of a jabroni to be a light blue moderator.
Well someone's got to stick around and fight the tide of hatred towards women that is taking over :/

Do you genuinely want us to all leave (for the upmpteenth time in my case...)

Don't leave again. I can't take it :bawling:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Don't leave again. I can't take it :bawling:

What if I pat you on the head patronisingly until you are sock of me?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you saying my thread is good or bad?? :confused:

It was a genuine question. I have conflicting views and opinions on the subuect of that thread. I just wanted to see what people thought. It wasn't a loaded question. Plus I learned some interesting stuff about Muslim feminism and the kurds. A lot of what they are doing is very anarchist in the style of the Spanish workers' unions in the Spanish civil war. I'm all over that.

I used to be a hardline anti-theist but having read more around the subject and (beleive it or not) listening to what some people on this site have said and have become much less so. I will still most likely always be an atheist will always think enlightenment principles of rationalism will is the way to go. But religion can be a force for good, even if I think humanity would be better off without organized religion.

Basically I wasn't trying to be antagonistic, I wanted to listen.

What if I pat you on the head patronisingly until you are sock of me?

Sorry, that would just enforce your intelligent strong woman feminist persona. Which is why I like you :tongue:

I guess we could fight about whether Labour is deserving of the title left wing? :mad:

Yeah but that was started by Chaotic Butterfly, and I taught him everything he knows

I was defending feminists before it was cool. I did think when making that thread how all the feminism haters would respond. Using feminism to potentially criticize Islamic culture? Or using a the woolly lefty liberals' feminism cause to critisise a minority in the UK. How would they respond? See if any head imploding would be goign on :tongue:

I am undefinable
(edited 9 years ago)
I think you all need to take a break from the internet:fatcontroller:

TSR is supposed to be a fun place.. Well it was supposed to be.

Are you saying my thread is good or bad?? :confused:

It was a genuine question. I have conflicting views and opinions on the subuect of that thread. I just wanted to see what people thought. It wasn't a loaded question. Plus I learned some interesting stuff about Muslim feminism and the kurds. A lot of what they are doing is very anarchist in the style of the Spanish workers' unions in the Spanish civil war. I'm all over that.

I used to be a hardline anti-theist but having read more around the subject and (beleive it or not) listening to what some people on this site have said and have become much less so. I will still most likely always be an atheist will always think enlightenment principles of rationalism will is the way to go. But religion can be a force for good, even if I think humanity would be better off without organized religion.

Basically I wasn't trying to be antagonistic, I wanted to listen.

Sorry, that would just enforce your intelligent strong woman feminist persona. Which is why I like you :tongue:

I guess we could fight about whether Labour is deserving of the title left wing? :mad:

I was defending feminists before it was cool. I did think when making that thread how all the feminism haters would respond. Using feminism to potentially criticize Islamic culture? Or using a the woolly lefty liberals' feminism cause to critisise a minority in the UK. How would they respond? See if any head imploding would be goign on :tongue:

I am undefinable

there's nothing to fight about, you can't be truly left wing and win an election, politics doesn't work like that :tongue: you have to pitch centrally then secret do left wing things behind the scenes.

It was a very good thread. Congrats.
there's nothing to fight about, you can't be truly left wing and win an election, politics doesn't work like that :tongue: you have to pitch centrally then secret do left wing things behind the scenes.

It was a very good thread. Congrats.

Like privitise hospitals no one asked you to. :ninja:
Like privitise hospitals no one asked you to. :ninja:

Labour does not equal Blair. Blair was a conservative and a Thatcherite. The party has shifted less.

Also pledges to give priority to the NHS UN contracts so that ain't happening any more!

Latest

Trending

Trending