The Student Room Group

Can I keep pets at uni?

Is there anyone out there who keeps pets in their halls of residence? And what about when I move into a student house? Are pets OK then? I'd like to get a lizard :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Generally not in university-owned halls. There is normally a clause in teh contract that prevents you; and it's unlikely to be as popular in a student house, your latmates might not agree to it.

You may well have to go private, and if so pay a good deal more money, for a place that accepts pets.
Reply 2
Most if not all halls won't let you keep a pet. Most private landlords won't let you either, you may find some but it won't be many so you won't have much to choose between and they will probably be more expensive.

You *may* be able to get away with it, but I don't know as I would risk it. Someone bought my friend a rat for her birthday and everytime there is a problem which the landlord is coming round to sort (the needed there heating repairing etc) they had to move the rat to someone elses house and make sure they hadn't left bedding, food etc on display. If they found you had a pet then chances are you would have to get rid of it and/or move out.

Also, chances are you will have a lot of other financial outgoings whilst at uni, I obviously don't know your circumstances with money, but you need to be sure that you can afford to buy everything for it and for any vet treatment etc that it may need.
Reply 3
Whaaaa! :frown: It's not fair! I would only be getting a tiny little leopard gecko, it would be no trouble cos they can't even climb very well and they don't bite. Do you think I could negotiate with the hall owners or something?
Reply 4
No...you'll be too busy to look after yourself let alone a pet
Reply 5
lucydeeeee
Whaaaa! :frown: It's not fair! I would only be getting a tiny little leopard gecko, it would be no trouble cos they can't even climb very well and they don't bite. Do you think I could negotiate with the hall owners or something?

I've never met anyone who's managed to be allowed a pet.

Just don't do it. If you don't already have one, hold off until you've got your own place after uni. It's not fair on the gecko either!
tut! aww but they sooo cute! I used to have one, they are reallly cool =] but maybe wait until youve finished uni and you can buy a house full of um!! xxx:p:
just sneak him and dont tell anyone else about it :wink:
Reply 8
I am dead set on having a gecko... I thought of iguana but geckos seem so much cooler.
They can't stop me!
Reply 9
I've not known any halls of residence to allow pets, and you'd be lucky to find a landlord willing to let you have one in a student house. Add that to the fact you've got to find a liveable-in house in a decent area, AND you want to find a pet-friendly landlord.. You might have a job on you hands.

I knew people who kept hamsters or something in their halls, but had to hide it whenever the cleaners visited, and it was very much against the rules.
Reply 10
Hey,
If you really want a pet then get one but it is a lot of hassle!
When I was in halls I got one (and then another!) hamster and i loved them to bits but come room inspection they were a pain! Cue, hiding them in cupboards, under beds etc etc. However we all lived pretty happily and I know for a fact I wasn't the only one within my block and noone got found out.
Now I'm in a 2bed flat and have updated my menagerie with two indoor buns and the mission goes on to hide them from various landlords!!

As long as you're prepared to have (sometimes elaborate) coverup plans it can be done. Being a student doesn't mean you can't share you life with animals :smile:
I would say don't turn up with pets. If you decide to break the rules, then that's up to you. But you'd probably want to know the ins and outs of how your halls are run before you start introducing animals.
Deus
I am dead set on having a gecko... I thought of iguana but geckos seem so much cooler.
They can't stop me!

Actually, they can. You're obliged to follow the rules, they can discipline, fine and ultimately kick you out of halls for breaking the rules.
Reply 13
Awww...well thanks for all these replies guys. I'll wait until I've got my own place and then I'll have a Gecko called Bud, an Iguana called Margaret and a Monitor Lizard called Jerry!
Reply 14
FadeToBlackout
Actually, they can. You're obliged to follow the rules, they can discipline, fine and ultimately kick you out of halls for breaking the rules.

I wasn't being serious. :smile: Of course they can stop me. Sadly. Hehe I'll just have to wait to own my own little gecko. #badger#
Reply 15
what about a small tropical fish tank under 20"
I heard of someone who kept a hamster in their uni halls. Don't know when it was though.
Tagit

If it says you're not allowed pets, then it means you aren't allowed pets.
Reply 18
Why do you even need a pet, you can play NEOPETS!
Tagit

Generally not.

They're banned in my college as a fire hazard, because if, for example, the sun were to shine through the window and through the fish tank, the rays could be focussed and start a fire. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending