The Student Room Group

Official Edexcel M1 2015 Thread - 3rd June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bbadonde2
...bearings are measured clockwise...

Oh. Yes. I've realised what I did wrong - I got the correct angle on my diagram, but read it anticlockwise like you would for argz...

Thanks for the help anyway!
(edited 8 years ago)
A particle is projected vertically upwards from level ground with a speed of 14 m/s
a) Determine the speed of the particle and the distance of the particle from theground, 0.5 s after projection
b) Calculate the total distance travelled by the particle during the first 2 s of itsmotion.
Guys, how do you do part b) for this question. I'm getting 8.4 but the answer is 11.6 Thanks so much.
Original post by Adriana_
A particle is projected vertically upwards from level ground with a speed of 14 m/s
a) Determine the speed of the particle and the distance of the particle from theground, 0.5 s after projection
b) Calculate the total distance travelled by the particle during the first 2 s of itsmotion.
Guys, how do you do part b) for this question. I'm getting 8.4 but the answer is 11.6 Thanks so much.

you've worked out the displacement, they're asking you the distance
Try working out the the time taken to reach maximum height, subtract it from 2
then work out the distance travelled in the remaining time:smile:
Oh alright! I got it. Thank you very much. :smile:
Original post by frozo123
you've worked out the displacement, they're asking you the distance
Try working out the the time taken to reach maximum height, subtract it from 2
then work out the distance travelled in the remaining time:smile:
Does anyone here do statistics?
Original post by AngelaMckenzie
Does anyone here do statistics?

yup
Reply 106
Hey guys, I'm stuck on a question, can somebody please help me?
M1 Question.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by NavX
Hey guys, I'm stuck on a question, can somebody please help me?
M1 Question.jpg

TSR doesn't seem to like your attachment
Reply 108
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
TSR doesn't seem to like your attachment

Oh sorry, here is the question.
M1 Question.jpg
Reply 109
Original post by khiljidanial
I think M1 is bit harder than C12.

M1 is harder than C3 and C4 combined
Anyone looking for a challenge, look up the 2015 January IAL papers; the M1 paper is by far the hardest of its kind I've seen (A grade boundary of 54)

Original post by NavX
Oh sorry, here is the question.
M1 Question.jpg

I'm not the best with moments so take my assistance with a pinch of salt..
The moment of a force about a point is the magnitude of the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from that point to the line through which the force acts.

With that in mind, for part a, you know that the two forces which act through A are irrelevant. Then you just have to look at the resultant moment of the other two forces (although you do not know the length, the perpendicular distance to each force line is the same so this doesn't matter) Then the sense is just whether it is clockwise or anticlockwise.

Part b is a little trickier, you will have to factor in the 45 degree angle which the new force makes with each side of the square. (just remember you want the perpendicular distance from D to this new line...a little bit of geometry may be required here) Look carefully at whether or not each relevant force (remember, the ones that go through D don't matter) is acting anticlockwise or clockwise so you can equate (as the system is now in equilibrium) and solve for X.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 111
Anyone looking for a challenge, look up the 2015 January IAL papers; the M1 paper is by far the hardest of its kind I've seen (A grade boundary of 54)

The moment of a force about a point is the magnitude of the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from that point to the line through which the force acts.

With that in mind, for part a, you know that the two forces which act through A are irrelevant. Then you just have to look at the resultant moment of the other two forces (although you do not know the length, the perpendicular distance to each force line is the same so this doesn't matter) Then the sense is just whether it is clockwise or anticlockwise.

Part b is a little trickier, you will have to factor in the 45 degree angle which the new force makes with each side of the square. (just remember you want the perpendicular distance from D to this new line...a little bit of geometry may be required here) Look carefully at whether or not each relevant force (remember, the ones that go through D don't matter) is acting anticlockwise or clockwise so you can equate (as the system is now in equilibrium) and solve for X.

Thank you so much man :smile: . You've been a big help. I really appreciate this.

Q4 is hard, but otherwise, what didn't you like about the paper?

Link it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tiny hobbit
Q4 is hard, but otherwise, what didn't you like about the paper?

It's not that I didn't like the paper or couldn't answer the questions; it's just that in general M1 doesn't cause much trouble for me (I'm in Year 13 doing a full FM A level this year and have M2 to contend with and there's lots of overlapping content with physics which helps) but when I did this paper I really felt pushed to actually think hard, which is a good thing I guess (it actually can be a nice aid in avoiding silly mistakes sometimes).
But anyway, the "north west" part of question three could certainly cause some confusion, both Q4 and Q5 derive difficulty from being unstructured which makes them more daunting and forces you to organize your thoughts; Q6 I thought was pretty non standard and I could see part a being easily confusing (it ate a lot of time for me); similar questions to Q8 have been done before but all the same keeping track of the different forces/accelerations can be tricky.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's not that I didn't like the paper or couldn't answer the questions; it's just that in general M1 doesn't cause much trouble for me (I'm in Year 13 doing a full FM A level this year and have M2 to contend with and there's lots of overlapping content with physics which helps) but when I did this paper I really felt pushed to actually think hard, which is a good thing I guess (it actually can be a nice aid in avoiding silly mistakes sometimes).
But anyway, the "north west" part of question three could certainly cause some confusion, both Q4 and Q5 derive difficulty from being unstructured which makes them more daunting and forces you to organize your thoughts; Q6 I thought was pretty non standard and I could see part a being easily confusing (it ate a lot of time for me); similar questions to Q8 have been done before but all the same keeping track of the different forces/accelerations can be tricky.

We've had NW quite recently, likewise questions very similar to Q5. I can see that Q6a asking for the greatest distance rather than telling you that the plank was on the point of tilting would require some thought. As you say, you have to keep track of your values in Q8 but this is a question that is asked quite regularly.

Have you done the January 2009 paper? The A boundary was 49.
Original post by tiny hobbit
We've had NW quite recently, likewise questions very similar to Q5. I can see that Q6a asking for the greatest distance rather than telling you that the plank was on the point of tilting would require some thought. As you say, you have to keep track of your values in Q8 but this is a question that is asked quite regularly.

Have you done the January 2009 paper? The A boundary was 49.

I think I am less well-acquainted with the M1 papers than I would like to believe; it's been a while since I did most of them. I'll probably have a look at that one soon; interested to see how it got such a crazy boundary
Although most of the questions aren't irregular in Jan 2015 per se I just got the feeling with that exam that it tended in each topic to err on the challenging side; it doesn't feel like you can just go through the motions (but like I said, that's something I appreciate to be honest) as is the case in some maths papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending