The Student Room Group

USA students in U.K

So as a student in the states I was wondering if anyone here by any chance happens to be a U.S student studying either medicine or Biomed in the UK? and would like to enlighten me about the process they went through? like applications and interviews etc, thank you :smile:
Reply 1
There were two ex-US students when i was at medical school. They were treated as any other none-EU international student.

Grades are difficult but universities that accept international students for medicine will want to see your GPA and SAT scores. If you contact the university admissions department they will tell you what they require. Applications are online and the UKCAT has centers in the US, but not many.

It's worth remembering that as it stands today, you must complete medical school AND foundation year 1 (similar to being an intern but better pay) to qualify for full GMC registration. If you wish to return to the US to practice then you still have to sit the USMLE and start again from the very beginning.
Reply 2
I am confused as to what you meant by the foundations year 1..is it absolutely necessary? and what exactly is it for?

Original post by DrID
There were two ex-US students when i was at medical school. They were treated as any other none-EU international student.

Grades are difficult but universities that accept international students for medicine will want to see your GPA and SAT scores. If you contact the university admissions department they will tell you what they require. Applications are online and the UKCAT has centers in the US, but not many.

It's worth remembering that as it stands today, you must complete medical school AND foundation year 1 (similar to being an intern but better pay) to qualify for full GMC registration. If you wish to return to the US to practice then you still have to sit the USMLE and start again from the very beginning.
Original post by gvarshinibk
I am confused as to what you meant by the foundations year 1..is it absolutely necessary? and what exactly is it for?

When medical students qualify, their first paid job will be as a Foundation Year 1 doctor (FY1). All doctors are registered with the General Medical Council (GMC), but FY1s are not fully registered. They will only qualify to fully register with the GMC as a doctor after they complete their FY1 year and move to FY2. :smile:
Original post by gvarshinibk

Its similar to the residency year in the US

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending