The Student Room Group

As AQA B English literature, the difference between explain, analyse and evaluation?

I am really struggling with analysing and evaluating, it seems that all I do is explain, can anyone please help me figure out the difference, examples would be appreciated!
Reference: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/ld/resources/writing/writing-resources/essay-terms

Analyse: Break an issue into its constituent parts. Look in depth at each part using supporting arguments and evidence for and against as well as how these interrelate to one another.

Evaluate:
Give your verdict as to what extent a statement or findings within a piece of research are true, or to what extent you agree with them. Provide evidence taken from a wide range of sources which both agree with and contradict an argument. Come to a final conclusion, basing your decision on what you judge to be the most important factors and justify how you have made your choice.
Reply 2
Bump
What specific part of the paper or which assessment are you stuck on? It would help me explain if I had a better understanding of which bit you're struggling with.
Reply 4
In section A of the paper mainly in the part a questions when I am meant to be analysing language my teacher often says its needs more analysis and in the mark scheme it says the top marks are awarded to those who evaluate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ribbon123
In section A of the paper mainly in the part a questions when I am meant to be analysing language my teacher often says its needs more analysis and in the mark scheme it says the top marks are awarded to those who evaluate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Evaluation of the authorial methods is where you're analysing them and then making a judgement about their significance in relation to how they propel the story being told.

Analysis, on the other hand, doesn't have this 'weighing up' of narrative methods.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending