The Student Room Group

Been ill and dont know whether to 'retake' the year or do incomplete exams

So, I have posted about this before. I have been ill at a crucial point in Year 12 for a while; my attendance is about 2/3 according to my teachers. They said technically, this doesn't count as a full year so redoing Year 12 (without taking any exams this summer) wouldn't even count as a retake as such and wouldn't be seen as choosing the easy option.

My plan, Plan A, was to take an incomplete set of exams for all 4 of my main subjects so when I applied to uni, I wouldn't have any AS levels because I would only have sat the Module 1 exams but I would have a reference mentioning how well I (potentially) did in the exams I did take. This is obviously quite risky as even if the uni didn't mind me having incomplete AS levels, the offer they would give me would be higher according to admissions. Also, I am applying for a highly competitive course and I would need to revise and practice for all of the Module 1 exams while also catching up with the module 2 knowledge I missed; after the exams, I would still be catching up on AS stuff and consolidating at home while doing A2 at school; summer holidays would be full of studying as well and then, I would also have to study for the BMAT which would probably be even more crucial for me since I only had an incomplete set of exam results for AS. As you can see, Plan A is much more stressful and more likely to go wrong. On top of this, I think I should add that I am still in the recovery period of my illness and will be recovering for most of the spring and summer; a down side of this is that too much stress i.e. caused by sitting exams and intensive learning of missed material could trigger a relapse into illness (which unfortunately, is something I now have to accept as a possibility and so, I have to be careful how much I push myself)

Which option do you think is most viable or rather, if you were in my situation and, please try to empathise, which one would you feel more inclined to choose, even if it isn't necessarily the 'best' choice? (Also, I need to gain several weeks of work experience in the given time too)
Reply 1
Original post by SatanicGecko
So, I have posted about this before. I have been ill at a crucial point in Year 12 for a while; my attendance is about 2/3 according to my teachers. They said technically, this doesn't count as a full year so redoing Year 12 (without taking any exams this summer) wouldn't even count as a retake as such and wouldn't be seen as choosing the easy option.

My plan, Plan A, was to take an incomplete set of exams for all 4 of my main subjects so when I applied to uni, I wouldn't have any AS levels because I would only have sat the Module 1 exams but I would have a reference mentioning how well I (potentially) did in the exams I did take. This is obviously quite risky as even if the uni didn't mind me having incomplete AS levels, the offer they would give me would be higher according to admissions. Also, I am applying for a highly competitive course and I would need to revise and practice for all of the Module 1 exams while also catching up with the module 2 knowledge I missed; after the exams, I would still be catching up on AS stuff and consolidating at home while doing A2 at school; summer holidays would be full of studying as well and then, I would also have to study for the BMAT which would probably be even more crucial for me since I only had an incomplete set of exam results for AS. As you can see, Plan A is much more stressful and more likely to go wrong. On top of this, I think I should add that I am still in the recovery period of my illness and will be recovering for most of the spring and summer; a down side of this is that too much stress i.e. caused by sitting exams and intensive learning of missed material could trigger a relapse into illness (which unfortunately, is something I now have to accept as a possibility and so, I have to be careful how much I push myself)

Which option do you think is most viable or rather, if you were in my situation and, please try to empathise, which one would you feel more inclined to choose, even if it isn't necessarily the 'best' choice? (Also, I need to gain several weeks of work experience in the given time too)

I think, particularly given that a huge amount of stress and work with no/little time to rest until the end of your next year won't help your recovery, that retaking the year is the best option - both for your health and your grades! While you might be good enough to achieve the grades you need through plan A, it'll be a lot more stressful and much easier for things to go wrong. Resitting the year will give you plenty of time to get your AS sorted before you move on, which will make uni applications easier, and as you have a valid reason it shouldn't affect anything. Also you might have an edge in your AS exams from all the work you've already done this year (even if it does make some lessons a bit boring!).

Everything you've said points towards resitting the year being a good idea, even if it's not so fun while everyone else is moving ahead it would likely be better for you in the long run :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest