The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Ask a Current Nottingham Student

Scroll to see replies

Hi there!

I am currently a first year student at UoN and will probably get halls again next year as most people I know have already sorted houses and I don't want to live in a house with people I don't know that well.

I was wondering if anyone could give an insight into the best halls to live in as a second year student. I was thinking to go for self-catered as it gives more of an independence, and as also I will then have flat mates so it has that house feel, and I also worry that the catered on-campus accoms are full of freshers which is kinda weird for a second year to be there to try and make friends with them.
I was also thinking to pick one of the halls on jubilee campus as they seem much nicer, although I have heard there are a lot of international students in those. I would of course want an accom where there is a decent social life and good second year students to make friends with.

Could anyone offer their insight into where might be best?
Also how common is it for second years to live in halls again?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #6
Hi there!

I am currently a first year student at UoN and will probably get halls again next year as most people I know have already sorted houses and I don't want to live in a house with people I don't know that well.

I was wondering if anyone could give an insight into the best halls to live in as a second year student. I was thinking to go for self-catered as it gives more of an independence, and as also I will then have flat mates so it has that house feel, and I also worry that the catered on-campus accoms are full of freshers which is kinda weird for a second year to be there to try and make friends with them.
I was also thinking to pick one of the halls on jubilee campus as they seem much nicer, although I have heard there are a lot of international students in those. I would of course want an accom where there is a decent social life and good second year students to make friends with.

Could anyone offer their insight into where might be best?
Also how common is it for second years to live in halls again?

I'm a current second-year in Broadgate Park. Would highly recommend, they specifically put returners in flats with each other (in fact my whole building is just returners) so you won't have to worry about first-years. The communal areas are cleaned weekly and Lidl and Tesco are fairly accessible (plus a Co-op basically next door).

Most people I know live in houses but it also isn't weird to continue living in self-catered halls like Broadgate. Staying in catered halls after first year is a bit unusual because most people get sick of the food after a year. As long as you have some friends in houses, you will still get somewhat of the 'house experience' when you visit them. I will be staying in Broadgate next year too as houses are more expensive when you factor in paying rent over Summer (if you won't even be there).
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a current second-year in Broadgate Park. Would highly recommend, they specifically put returners in flats with each other (in fact my whole building is just returners) so you won't have to worry about first-years. The communal areas are cleaned weekly and Lidl and Tesco are fairly accessible (plus a Co-op basically next door).

Most people I know live in houses but it also isn't weird to continue living in self-catered halls like Broadgate. Staying in catered halls after first year is a bit unusual because most people get sick of the food after a year. As long as you have some friends in houses, you will still get somewhat of the 'house experience' when you visit them. I will be staying in Broadgate next year too as houses are more expensive when you factor in paying rent over Summer (if you won't even be there).

Whilst housing on Derby rd is more expensive then halls. Generally a student with decent ability to research houses can find a decent discount on accommodation by going into private rental housing in lenton/radford/Dunkirk/Beeston.

Id recommend moving into a house for part of your student experience, it’s a good experience to manage bills & rent independently and generally housing offers you more room, control & a better atmosphere to live in. The self catered halls are decent at Nottingham tbf, but still atmospherically much worse then in a shared house with friends (imo).
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by mnot
Whilst housing on Derby rd is more expensive then halls. Generally a student with decent ability to research houses can find a decent discount on accommodation by going into private rental housing in lenton/radford/Dunkirk/Beeston.

Id recommend moving into a house for part of your student experience, it’s a good experience to manage bills & rent independently and generally housing offers you more room, control & a better atmosphere to live in. The self catered halls are decent at Nottingham tbf, but still atmospherically much worse then in a shared house with friends (imo).

The contract length is the problem with private housing - not the rent p/w. We found many houses that were cheaper than Broadgate on a week-by-week basis but when you consider that the contract lengths of private houses are almost always 50/52 weeks (nearly 10 weeks more rent than BGP), it pushes the price of them overall to be around £900ish more expensive yearly.
I can promise you we looked extensively in both Dunkirk and the whole of Lenton/Radford.
Is anyone doing a PGCE at Nottingham? How is the course in terms of organisation, placements, staff helpfulness etc?
I am predicted AAA & have applied to study a law undergraduate course with A*AA entry requirements does anyone know if I'd have a chance of being accepted as its my top choice and the only uni I can fully see myself at!! I also have extenuating circumstances which may help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending