The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Ask a Current Nottingham Student

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EMassey
I did. I had an ensuiite (now it's called an en suite plus) in Cripps Hall and I loved it. I have a returners formal there next week so it'll be nice to go back and get some hall food! :biggrin: I really miss my old room and how big it was.

Ah nice :smile: Did you think having an en suite made it less sociable? I've heard some people regret having an en suite because it was less social

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You- Sprinting on the treadmill on max incline
Me- Walking on the treadmill eating chocolate digestives
:tongue:

:rolleyes:

Such a foodie :tongue:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Schrödingers Cat

*fatty

I'm your foodie :P
Ah nice :smile: Did you think having an en suite made it less sociable? I've heard some people regret having an en suite because it was less social

I don't think so personally. None of the peopl I know who had en suite have suffered with making friends or being involved. I mean the only difference is meeting someone in the corridor who's on their way to or from the toilet! I kept my door open if I wanted company or didn't mind interruption and shut my door when I didn't want to talk or be social. It's all about how you 'play' it really in my opinion. If you remain behind a shut door 24/7 only emerging for food Ashe lectures, then yeah you will probably suffer socially.

My block consisted of en suites and private shared bathrooms only which probably helped but most corridors and blocks will have the same room types so you'll be around people with the same potential 'issue'. Also my block hung out literally outside my door a lot of the time which was nice (my room was next to the pantry and on the Middle floor right by the straits to downstairs so we could see everyone coming and going!
Original post by EMassey
Its a newer hall built in the 60s. I quite like it personally. Rooms are light and a good size. It has an extra cafe that's open every day which is very popular. Right next to the sports centre, humanities and history buildings. My friend lived there last year and was environmental rep for the hall. I can't really think of any negatives apart from its kinda far from science but you can always get the hopper bus round to George Green Library to save the walk!

Thank you!!
When do we get access to the University of Nottingham Applicants Portal, apparently this is how we pay for term 1 accommodation?
Original post by jamesbird18
When do we get access to the University of Nottingham Applicants Portal, apparently this is how we pay for term 1 accommodation?

Probably after results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66

Oh god, what kind of person you must be to treat toilet as a place to meet new people :O. As far as I know where you **** doesn't influence your social life as long as you do it in sanitary way
Original post by EMassey
I don't think so personally. None of the peopl I know who had en suite have suffered with making friends or being involved. I mean the only difference is meeting someone in the corridor who's on their way to or from the toilet! I kept my door open if I wanted company or didn't mind interruption and shut my door when I didn't want to talk or be social. It's all about how you 'play' it really in my opinion. If you remain behind a shut door 24/7 only emerging for food Ashe lectures, then yeah you will probably suffer socially.

My block consisted of en suites and private shared bathrooms only which probably helped but most corridors and blocks will have the same room types so you'll be around people with the same potential 'issue'. Also my block hung out literally outside my door a lot of the time which was nice (my room was next to the pantry and on the Middle floor right by the straits to downstairs so we could see everyone coming and going!

Ok fair enough, thank you for opinion :smile: I'm still debating what type of accommodation I want

Original post by Nottie
Oh god, what kind of person you must be to treat toilet as a place to meet new people :O. As far as I know where you **** doesn't influence your social life as long as you do it in sanitary way

Erm I didn't mean it like that... but if everyone if your apartment block has an en suite they might be less likely to come out of their room to chat
Reply 68
Ok fair enough, thank you for opinion :smile: I'm still debating what type of accommodation I want

Erm I didn't mean it like that... but if everyone if your apartment block has an en suite they might be less likely to come out of their room to chat

well, then you can always come to their room :P. Also, I dont think people fancy a chat if they are on their way to the toilet...
Original post by Nottie
well, then you can always come to their room :P. Also, I dont think people fancy a chat if they are on their way to the toilet...

True I just think it makes things a bit more sociable, depends on why you're going to the toilet :tongue: Like brushing you teeth or having a shower I might fancy a little chat :tongue:
Reply 70
True I just think it makes things a bit more sociable, depends on why you're going to the toilet :tongue: Like brushing you teeth or having a shower I might fancy a little chat :tongue:

I think most halls with shared toilet have sinks in the room when you wanna brush your teeth or just wash your hands. Not sure though if all. I know Albion (or sth like tht) has it
Original post by Nottie
I think most halls with shared toilet have sinks in the room when you wanna brush your teeth or just wash your hands. Not sure though if all. I know Albion (or sth like tht) has it

Oh that's good, well I'm still debating it really... although the thought of having to schedule around everyone's shower routines scares me :afraid:
Just got accommodation at Melton Hall, Jubilee Campus. Anyone know how it is?
Reply 73
Oh that's good, well I'm still debating it really... although the thought of having to schedule around everyone's shower routines scares me :afraid:

all my friends that share bathroom say they never had to wait for the shower.
But I'd take en suite if I were you
Hullo, I am a first year theology student, and a course rep for it, and as of recently I am also a full committee member of both BandSoc and TheoSoc (treasurer in both). As such any questions about theology or BandSoc feel free to ask, and I'll try and give a good answer.
For those people asking about the city, it is buzzing, admittedly it's not exactly London or Manchester (it's much smaller), but it still has an excellent selection of places around for shopping, eating and general city life. In fact per square mile Nottingham has the most eateries/restaurants in Europe. The Hockley area, and the Lace Market is really quite a nice edgy bit, with loads of boutiquey sorts of places, and more vintage shops than you can shake a stick at, and the centre is pleasant too. It would seem always to have stuff going on. The night life is also based around the centre, with various clubs and nights to tailor to most people's music taste. And if clubbing isn't your thing (it's not mine, so I've looked for alternate stuff), we aren't short on nice cocktail bars, pubs and various other alternatives.
Original post by Nottie
all my friends that share bathroom say they never had to wait for the shower.
But I'd take en suite if I were you

Can I ask why? :smile:
Original post by EMassey
I've seen a few of us on here so I think it would be helpful to collate us all in one place for the benefit of prospective students!

I'm in my second year at UoN studying History and Politics. I'm a course rep for History students and a Senior Student Ambassador for the university! Also by this time next week hopefully I'll also be School Education Rep for History and a member of the Scrutiny Panel!

Ask away! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Could you tell me anything about what student/city life is like? :smile:
Original post by siddharthmsc
Just got accommodation at Melton Hall, Jubilee Campus. Anyone know how it is?

It's a postgrad only hall that is self catered. It's located at the north part of the campus but aside from that I really don't know!

Original post by JessicaMaryC
Could you tell me anything about what student/city life is like? :smile:

That's a fairly broad question :P

What do you want to know about it?

Original post by jamesbird18

You should already have access to the applicants' portal. The website is portal.nottingham.ac.uk
Reply 78
Can I ask why? :smile:

well idk why. People start lectures at diiferent time, have different shower pattern etc...

what course are you hoping to do?
Original post by Nottie
well idk why. People start lectures at diiferent time, have different shower pattern etc...

what course are you hoping to do?

I was asking about why choose en suit :tongue:

Physics :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending