The Student Room Group

Canadian vs UK grading system

Canadian newbie here

I'm kind of confused here how the UK grading system works

Now I've seen many universities in the UK saying that they may accept people with a Lower second-class honours, a 2.2; thing is what is the 2.2? Wiki says it's a 3 - 3.3 GPA in the US (which means the same for Canada)

While another source said that the Canadian equivalent of a 2.2 is a C+ (2.5).....

Which one is correct?

And yes I'm a low GPA hopeful
Reply 1
I don't know much about American/Canadian grading systems but if it helps at all, over here the grades are generally classed as

1st = A or 70%+
2:1 = B or 60-69%
2:2 = C or 50-59%
3rd = D or 40-49%
Fail

It would make a lot of sense for a 2:2 to correlate to a C grade as that's what it technically is here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Just to confuse the issue, there isn't a standard overseas GPA conversion table used by all UK universities. Each uni should have a section of their website for international applicants, which clarifies their entry requirements. Beware that requirements for international applicants won't necessarily map directly to those stated for Home/UK applicants.

When in doubt, check directly with Admissions Offices and be sure to ask about specific courses. Entry requirements can differ across courses in the same department.
I'm on exchange in Canada from the UK at the moment, and this is a general idea of the conversion my university uses:
A+/A = 1st
A-/B+/B/B- = 2:1
C+/C/C- = 2:2 (etc.)
But as has been mentioned, it differs depending on the university and it's best to check with them directly. Also, I don't know what courses you're applying for, but if they say they may accept a 2:2 usually that means there need to be some kind of extenuating circumstances to make up for the lower grade. Again though, this depends on the university so check with them!
I’m enquiring on behalf of my daughter. We are English, we left UK in 2016 before she went into year 10 to start her GCSE’s. She attended a Canadian school from grade 9 in 2016 until grade 11, October 2018 when we returned to the UK. She did not finish her Canadian High School Certificates in Canada, but she has all her report transcripts. Also due to the timelines she has no GCSE’s from the UK. She is currently studying A-Level Biology, Chemistry and Maths, but her College Advisor has today told her that her 3 first choice Universities may not accept her application without the Canadian High School Certificates or any GCSE’s. Is there any way to convert her existing credits to GCSE points? I can’t find any advice with regards to this anywhere and my daughter can’t be the only one in this position. Thank you for your time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending