The Student Room Group

AQA Stats 1 Question

(no response on other thread, thought this might get noticed here) Hi guys, need some help with this question, much appreciated.

Battery 1 has a mean life of 124 hours and SD 4.31 hours. Battery 2 has a mean life of 82 hours and SD 2.45 hours.
Someone buys one of each, Battery 1 lasts 131 hours and Battery 2 lasts 87. Compare the performance of the batteries.

I'm not really sure what to do, I've worked out the z scores as 1.62 for Battery 1 and 2.04 for Battery 2 if that helps...
EDIT: It's a 6 mark question btw.
(edited 9 years ago)
What do higher values of Z mean in this context?
Reply 2
Original post by simonli2575
What do higher values of Z mean in this context?

Well, I think it means a higher probability, but the question asks you to compare the performance of the batteries?
Original post by crossley
Well, I think it means a higher probability, but the question asks you to compare the performance of the batteries?

Yes, with a higher z value means the probability of something being less than that z value is high, AND the probability of something being more than that z value is low, which is the bit that we're interested in.

If you convert your z values into probabilities, what can you say about each battery taking on the value that it did or greater? So what can you conclude?

Quick Reply

Latest